Question My Marvelous Year Podcast

Is anyone listening to this podcast? It's basically a reading club of essential Marvel comics organized by year. I started this last summer reading the Golden Age era (a chore to say the least). It's a good way to read what are the most important comics of Marvel's history. I'm currently at 1965. Stan Lee and crew get better around this time at least for Fantastic Four and Spider-man. The anthology stuff is very hit or miss.

https://www.comicbookherald.com/my-marvelous-year/

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixReborn85 View Post
    Is anyone listening to this podcast? It's basically a reading club of essential Marvel comics organized by year. I started this last summer reading the Golden Age era (a chore to say the least). It's a good way to read what are the most important comics of Marvel's history. I'm currently at 1965. Stan Lee and crew get better around this time at least for Fantastic Four and Spider-man. The anthology stuff is very hit or miss.

https://www.comicbookherald.com/my-marvelous-year/
    I haven’t tried to labour through the many books from the Golden Age right up to now. I just bought the ones I could that interested me for chasing up background material. But you’re right about the change in quality around 1965. I believe that’s when Stan Lee started writing. I think Stan’s idea of the Marvel method up till that point was the artists have to write it, because there were just too much books for Stan to be writer. I could be wrong, and Stan’s writing may have matured around 1965, but that’s the impression I get.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I haven’t tried to labour through the many books from the Golden Age right up to now. I just bought the ones I could that interested me for chasing up background material. But you’re right about the change in quality around 1965. I believe that’s when Stan Lee started writing. I think Stan’s idea of the Marvel method up till that point was the artists have to write it, because there were just too much books for Stan to be writer. I could be wrong, and Stan’s writing may have matured around 1965, but that’s the impression I get.
    The Golden Age episode wasn't essential, but I was morbidly curious about that era. A lot of it was formatted like an old timey radio show. I had to get my brain right to read them. I feel in the early years' Stan and company were writing the 60s ones like that. I can't wait for the 70s because that's my sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixReborn85 View Post
    The Golden Age episode wasn't essential, but I was morbidly curious about that era. A lot of it was formatted like an old timey radio show. I had to get my brain right to read them. I feel in the early years' Stan and company were writing the 60s ones like that. I can't wait for the 70s because that's my sweet spot.
    Getting used to the Golden Age literary style certainly had some getting used to. I just looked at it as premoidal superhero conceptual formulation. By that I mean, superheroes were a brand new literary writing form, so the writers had to design its mechanics, and that’s what I looked for in the reading, and the flashy art gymnastics.

As to how the writing changed in 1965, I pin point it to these moments in literature:

ASM #30
    Strange Tales #130
    FF #38

That’s when it all started, as classic Stan Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Getting used to the Golden Age literary style certainly had some getting used to. I just looked at it as premoidal superhero conceptual formulation. By that I mean, superheroes were a brand new literary writing form, so the writers had to design its mechanics, and that’s what I looked for in the reading, and the flashy art gymnastics.

As to how the writing changed in 1965, I pin point it to these moments in literature:

ASM #30
    Strange Tales #130
    FF #38

That’s when it all started, as classic Stan Lee.
    I'm still amazed that Stan and co. wrote as much as they did during this time period.