Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I never liked Morlun.
    Makes two of us - I might be in the minority because I thought Spider-verse tried to make the concept a wee bit less worse by trying to give something else to it other than "okay this guy is basically NotMorbius, the totem sucker, and he is like a less visually interesting Terminator". JMS had a bit of a messiah complex when he wrote stuff where it always had to be "the first time that..." and it came through pretty strongly with this, what with literally leading saying "hey, Pete, all your rogues are basically just echoes of this super powered not-vampire that feeds on totems, and the Spider is THE REAL totem, because to be quite honest we're not going to expand what makes other totems... well, not so genuine. But hey, all this talk of a racial memory is deeply fascinating so we're going to throw it out here and there to get your attention away from the arbitrary aspects of this new villain so you just roll with it and don't think too much about it".

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    No, I think it helps the others more than Peter.None of them, even miles are close enough in comics to actually effect him.Having them all do specific stuff seems like a good idea.
    Them doing other stuff, that's fine, I for example like the idea of Anya being more involved with the magic side of Spider-related stuff (She's the character most connected with it after all), I just don't like the idea of killing them off.

And 1610 is destroyed as of now, and Maker plan to rebuild it.I think if he is successful it makes a ton of sense to have Miles be the character to reintroduce us to the 1610.And in 1610 he actually had purpose as compared to now where he's just another character w/ not much importance.
    Ultimate being destroyed is consistent now right? 'Cause I remember hearing Miles' comic mentioned/showed that Ultimate was fine around the same time Venom was showing it destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I never liked Morlun. He's WAY too powerful to be a Spider-Man villain. Anytime a villain is too powerful for a superhero to beat alone and he needs to recruit a TEAM to help him take that villain down everytime the villain pops up, then that villain is WAY out of that superhero's league and is not a good match for his rogues gallery, IMO.
    I mean, Spidey only used a team to "defeat" Morlum once, the other times it was a solo battle.

Morlum is too powerful to show up with any sort of frequency, but at least it can be fun to see what Spidey comes up with to defeat him, the first battle and fourth battles in particular were nice since they used logical weaknesses.

I could even see if it was a one time battle against Morlun, but it appears they keep bringing him back now as a tired excuse to do more tired Spider-Verse stories over and over again, which makes me hate Morlun AND the whole Spider-Verse concept even more. And not only that, but now Morlun has a FAMILY of Morluns to help him who are just as powerful as he is?!? Whatever...
    Oh yeah, Morlum family does suck lol.

And Spider-mans entire rogues gallery is below him.Venom is slightly above him in strength but is lower in speed.Morlun is the one rogue who makes you go "Oh sh*t" IMO.
    Sandman, Hydro Man, Electro, Rhino are specifically above Spidey, with 3 of them being extra dumb and Sandman being, less dumb lol.

If Mysterio ever started to try to **** over Spidey like he did with Daredevil in Guardian Devil and with Wolverine in Old Man Logan, he could be a lot more threatening too.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Makes two of us - I might be in the minority because I thought Spider-verse tried to make the concept a wee bit less worse by trying to give something else to it other than "okay this guy is basically NotMorbius, the totem sucker, and he is like a less visually interesting Terminator". JMS had a bit of a messiah complex when he wrote stuff where it always had to be "the first time that..." and it came through pretty strongly with this, what with literally leading saying "hey, Pete, all your rogues are basically just echoes of this super powered not-vampire that feeds on totems, and the Spider is THE REAL totem, because to be quite honest we're not going to expand what makes other totems... well, not so genuine. But hey, all this talk of a racial memory is deeply fascinating so we're going to throw it out here and there to get your attention away from the arbitrary aspects of this new villain so you just roll with it and don't think too much about it".
    While the Totem stuff didn't expand for the other characters, Ezekiel was mentioning that super-heroes in general have a "theme" on the people they fight, which's why he mentions what other heroes fight as examples, and Morlum was never said to cheapen out the villains, if anything, Ezekiel was saying that Peter cheapens them since the rogues are "pretenders" and Peter is the "real deal", and they go after him because they subconsciously realize it lol.

And yes, that's still ridiculous lol.

One annoying thing about Morlum and Ezekiel in JMS' run is the annoying wanking they both got, Ezekiel's was less bad, but his own introduction had Peter saying he reminds Peter of uncle Ben, those are really big shoes to fill (And it's kinda funny Ezekiel likes to go barefoot ), while Morlum had both Spidey say that he's the first villain who really pissed him off (Ridiculous claim when Spidey had to deal with the likes of Green Goblin and Jackal, who mentally tortured him very brutally), and that he hits harder than the Hulk... Yeah...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Them doing other stuff, that's fine, I for example like the idea of Anya being more involved with the magic side of Spider-related stuff (She's the character most connected with it after all), I just don't like the idea of killing them off.

Ultimate being destroyed is consistent now right? 'Cause I remember hearing Miles' comic mentioned/showed that Ultimate was fine around the same time Venom was showing it destroyed.

I mean, Spidey only used a team to "defeat" Morlum once, the other times it was a solo battle.

Morlum is too powerful to show up with any sort of frequency, but at least it can be fun to see what Spidey comes up with to defeat him, the first battle and fourth battles in particular were nice since they used logical weaknesses.

Oh yeah, Morlum family does suck lol.

Sandman, Hydro Man, Electro, Rhino are specifically above Spidey, with 3 of them being extra dumb and Sandman being, less dumb lol.

If Mysterio ever started to try to **** over Spidey like he did with Daredevil in Guardian Devil and with Wolverine in Old Man Logan, he could be a lot more threatening too.

While the Totem stuff didn't expand for the other characters, Ezekiel was mentioning that super-heroes in general have a "theme" on the people they fight, which's why he mentions what other heroes fight as examples, and Morlum was never said to cheapen out the villains, if anything, Ezekiel was saying that Peter cheapens them since the rogues are "pretenders" and Peter is the "real deal", and they go after him because they subconsciously realize it lol.

One annoying thing about Morlum and Ezekiel in JMS' run is the annoying wanking they both got, Ezekiel's was less bad, but his own introduction had Peter saying he reminds Peter of uncle Ben, those are really big shoes to fill (And it's kinda funny Ezekiel likes to go barefoot ), while Morlum had both Spidey say that he's the first villain who really pissed him off (Ridiculous claim when Spidey had to deal with the likes of Green Goblin and Jackal, who mentally tortured him very brutally), and that he hits harder than the Hulk... Yeah...

Yeah, like I'd say a couple have to go.We have like 6 Spider-women and most of them always get ignored.
    So you send the multiversal Spiders back and then give the others a proper send off.And then give others corners like your Anya Idea.

Miles's comics aren't consistent regarding 1610 from what I've seen.And I think Venom/Maker's event will take presedence over whatever they set up w/ Miles.

Agreed w/ Morlun thing.The family also sucks.

Sandman, Hydroman aren't physical and Peter has Acid webs and Cryo tech to take care of them.Electro is kinda a glass canon, moreover Peter has tanked mutiple hits from God Electro(highly amped) and made a suit that's Electro-proof twice now(First the specific suit for electro and his MK 3).And has special webs for him.
    Rhino is much slower than him, moreover Peter when not holding back can usually hold his own in strength.Mysterio has tried a lot IMO, even in the Kindred thing but Peter's insane willpower + smarts + enhanced senses+ Spider-sense+experience should let him win.

I think Morlun is the one "Oh sh*t" villain like Venom was back in the day.

I agree about the pissed of part, but it's more physical I guess.And he has feats that back up the hitting harder than the hulk.It should be noted Peter meant harder than the Hulk's ever hit him, not Hulk's strongest blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Yeah, but that's the thing. While he's explaining the whole 'pretender' deal he says that all the pretenders are just "echoes of something more deadly", which is Morlun. Which, if you want to go this Angel Punisher route and go "this is a new antagonist that now actually goes way back to the origin and now we're gonna see how the world makes sense", kinda gets off on the wrong foot since everyone else is now 'just an echo of Morlun' and then if we're going out and poking holes so we find the 'new, better way' as the story seemed to nudge in its tone, then... why does Morlun even have to eat totems? They say totems come back from the time gods walked the Earth, but why exactly does this particular breed of not vampire developed this craving? It smacked of pot calling kettle black - kinda like "you never saw the cracks in what you believed was true because you didn't look but don't look at our own cracks now, either!" It was ironically Spider-verse that started to try give some rhyme and reason to this though it's not like anyone has to like what they did with it.

And yeah, the whole "Ezekiel reminds me of uncle Ben / I never fought with anyone with powers like mine before / I never got hit this bad either / I never got so angry" are prime examples of JMS' messiah complex. But that reared its ugly head in Sins Past (what else?), with Peter saying "only now" Gwen's murder made sense.

Peter, Norman Osborn is a literal textbook psychopath that wants to make you suffer. Killing Gwen to make you suffer never required wonder twins with accelerated aging.

Astonishing Member

And yeah, the whole "Ezekiel reminds me of uncle Ben / I never fought with anyone with powers like mine before / I never got hit this bad either / I never got so angry" are prime examples of JMS' messiah complex. But that reared its ugly head in Sins Past (what else?), with Peter saying "only now" Gwen's murder made sense.
    You hit the nail on the head of why I wasn’t a huge fan of JMS (well, one of three or four reasons). He was a little up his own ass, tbh. I don’t think he had read any Spidey comic post-Gwen’s death, and even his continuity for stuff from the silver age was shaky (remember he put Midtown High in actual Midtown Manhattan, instead of Queens, and made it into a numbered Public School?), but he came in and decided his stories would be the best and he’d let us know through telling, not showing. So we got a whole bunch of cringe dialogue that only served to puff up his villains, his stories and his interpretation of the character. Don’t get me wrong, he wrote some (still flawed) great stories, and plenty of bad ones too, but I don’t get why every modern reader looks back at him with a halo on his head. Maybe because he was sandwiched between two notoriously awful eras in Mackie/Byrne and OMD/BND (people also seem to give him a pass for his part in OMD, just because he whined in a couple interviews that his original plan for it was better…. It wasn’t).
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 09-26-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Peter, Norman Osborn is a literal textbook psychopath that wants to make you suffer. Killing Gwen to make you suffer never required wonder twins with accelerated aging.
    It wasn't REQUIRED, but DANG, did it make it hurt more!

Pete's reaction to meeting Sarah was GREAT!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It wasn't REQUIRED, but DANG, did it make it hurt more!

Pete's reaction to meeting Sarah was GREAT!
    Again I see this point a lot and I can kind of agree but Gwen would never cheat and MJ would never keep that a secret.
    So it should have been a plot by Norman to F w/ him, same way Jessica Jones thought her baby was Purple mans but it was Luke's.It still works but you can keep continuity and decade old characters as they were.

i still fail to see what would be the best time for Mj to mention that Norman bang Gwen. Like at what point should she brought that up?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i still fail to see what would be the best time for Mj to mention that Norman bang Gwen. Like at what point should she brought that up?
    Ideally, when she finds out.Specially since she knew he's Spider-man, secrets are dangerous in that line of work.
    Or when their relationship was getting serious she should have sat him down and told him, w/ this and the Jason thing(kissed by him twice in a sh*tty arc but happened nonetheless, they were together and serious at that time)And the recent mysterio lie which may no sense at all and was kinda insanely stupid and selfish.Not to mention she may have known about the deal and didn't tell him.

All this paints her as a massive liar which makes no sense to her character and even though they will ignore all this they should address this and have her talk to Peter even if it's just about Mysterio and the deal(if that happened) and apologize.The deal thing would be specially messed up.

All this paints her as a massive liar
    I think both Sins Past and One More Day are just such hot messes that my prefered way of retconning them was for Marvel to literally publish a public apology and go on as normal like these stories never even happened, but Gwen basically pleaded with MJ not to tell it no matter what and she likely didn't want to go back on what was her friend's last request, besides opening a can of worms that was just going to haunt and hunt Peter because it's not like anyone even knew where they could find those magically aging Stacy-Osborn kids.

I mean, the story is an absolute pile, but I don't see how it's really painting MJ in such a bad light. It was a heavy burden where she was put between a rock and a hard place, not like she was keeping stuff from Peter for craps and giggles.

I think both Sins Past and One More Day are just such hot messes that my prefered way of retconning them was for Marvel to literally publish a public apology and go on as normal like these stories never even happened, but Gwen basically pleaded with MJ not to tell it no matter what and she likely didn't want to go back on what was her friend's last request, besides opening a can of worms that was just going to haunt and hunt Peter because it's not like anyone even knew where they could find those magically aging Stacy-Osborn kids.

I mean, the story is an absolute pile, but I don't see how it's really painting MJ in such a bad light. It was a heavy burden where she was put between a rock and a hard place, not like she was keeping stuff from Peter for craps and giggles.
    To me the Gwen and MJ part was the easiest to justify. MJ has little reason other than "being honest" to bring it up after Gwen died.... at least not until Pete meets Sarah.