Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DC sales

Default DC sales

How well are they doing? I'm tired of hearing DC is going down due to the manga sells. But nothing makes sense due to the number of comic series and reprints. If Dc is doing bad wouldn't they be limited the number of comics they have and not keep adding?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    How well are they doing? I'm tired of hearing DC is going down due to the manga sells. But nothing makes sense due to the number of comic series and reprints. If Dc is doing bad wouldn't they be limited the number of comics they have and not keep adding?
    I hear a lot of that particularly on the internet, that DC & Marvel have gone full on SJW, and therefore are losing readers to Magna.

I suppose there is some truth to this, but I think it's become a little overblown by you tube personalities, who sound like they have political baggage of their own.

Comic sales have been declining overall because of illegal streaming and downloading, the politics if it's having any impact, is playing second fiddle.

Right now I could walk to the comic store. or go through the process of seeing if a digital version is accessible on Amazon, or....I could simply type something into Google and have a piracy website show up front and center at the easiest convenience.

It baffles my mind that Google and bing's algorithms allow this to happen....unless piracy sights that stream and download comics for free are made more inaccessible.....DC comics will continue to bleed revenue badly.

Astonishing Member

We are seeing the final death throes of DC Comics. The mass firings by AT&T have deprived them of some of their most experienced staff (for better or for worse).

Marvel is in better position given they have the MCU which can pretty much underwrite the publication division.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I hear a lot of that particularly on the internet, that DC & Marvel have gone full on SJW, and therefore are losing readers to Magna.

I suppose there is some truth to this, but I think it's become a little overblown by you tube personalities, who sound like they have political baggage of their own.

Comic sales have been declining overall because of illegal streaming and downloading, the politics if it's having any impact, is playing second fiddle.

Right now I could walk to the comic store. or go through the process of seeing if a digital version is accessible on Amazon, or....I could simply type something into Google and have a piracy website show up front and center at the easiest convenience.

It baffles my mind that Google and bing's algorithms allow this to happen....unless piracy sights that stream and download comics for free are made more inaccessible.....DC comics will continue to bleed revenue badly.
    I think there's a lot of truth to manga overtaking comics in youth pop culture but the weirdo political suggestions that accompany those assertions miss the picture for the most part.

Manga series do better because they're a single, cohesive story. One writer, one vision, one continuity. They're substantially more accessible for a prospective fan than comics, which are plagued by reboots, different writers having vastly different approaches to a character, multiverses, etc.

Especially if they're coming from another medium like anime. Anime are often direct recreations of the manga they're based on and because it's the best animated content out there period it generates lots of interest which bleeds back directly into the manga. Invincible follows that model pretty well, it's insanely accurate to the source material which exploded in popularity after a beautifully animated and well acted first season.

I guess there's some truth to the idea that anime (especially shonen) appeals to certain sensibilities. You get a lot more sexual gags and revealing outfits in manga than you do modern comics. The stories can be socially relevant without falling into cringey preachiness designed to pander to Twitter unlike some comics. But really the politics are irrelevant in why manga has dominated the way it has.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I think there's a lot of truth to manga overtaking comics in youth pop culture but the weirdo political suggestions that accompany those assertions miss the picture for the most part.

Manga series do better because they're a single, cohesive story. One writer, one vision, one continuity. They're substantially more accessible for a prospective fan than comics, which are plagued by reboots, different writers having vastly different approaches to a character, multiverses, etc.

Especially if they're coming from another medium like anime. Anime are often direct recreations of the manga they're based on and because it's the best animated content out there period it generates lots of interest which bleeds back directly into the manga. Invincible follows that model pretty well, it's insanely accurate to the source material which exploded in popularity after a beautifully animated and well acted first season.

I guess there's some truth to the idea that anime (especially shonen) appeals to certain sensibilities. You get a lot more sexual gags and revealing outfits in manga than you do modern comics. The stories can be socially relevant without falling into cringey preachiness designed to pander to Twitter unlike some comics. But really the politics are irrelevant in why manga has dominated the way it has.
    Although Invincible is also like some comic cartoons in terms of re-arranging and changing content.

BANNED

We have to examine that a bit, though. Manga is just as susceptible to piracy as comics are. I'm not saying that ISN'T a factor, but there is more to it than that if manga is performing okay but comics are not.

Issues like distribution and piracy are problems for comics, but I think the creative content of the comics and the way they are formatted in terms of organization and cataloging are also problems. We would be fooling ourselves to say that there is nothing wrong with the general content of these comics when other comics with far more unfamiliar names are outperforming such recognized names as Superman and the Justice League, and various other billion dollar properties. I don't believe the comics are really conducive to growing a larger audience, and it's definitely worth examining the why's and how's of that.

That said, does it all come down to SJW's? No, I don't think so, though I believe that plays a role. I have seen quite a few stories that strike me as inorganic and annoying in their partisan one-sided preachiness that seem to have strange priorities. Likewise, I've seen A LOT of stories that are just spinning their wheels, boring, been there done that, and just not captivating. Actually, from what I've seen, the majority of the work I've encountered from DC in recent history has fallen into that latter category.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

My overall sentiment as well, I think politics plays a marginal role, (though I do think it probably is having some impact) but not to the extent that these you tubers are stating.

That's interesting. One writer, one consistent continuity. I like that. Reboots have often been problematic at D.C.
    Overall it sounds like Magna is popular because it's a quality product, with good art, writing and presentation.

I wonder if generation gaps have something to do with Magna's popularity as well. In short, for younger readers their parents read superhero comic books, and they are looking for something different that they can claim has their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Goblin View Post
    We have to examine that a bit, though. Manga is just as susceptible to piracy as comics are. I'm not saying that ISN'T a factor, but there is more to it than that if manga is performing okay but comics are not.

Issues like distribution and piracy are problems for comics, but I think the creative content of the comics and the way they are formatted in terms of organization and cataloging are also problems. We would be fooling ourselves to say that there is nothing wrong with the general content of these comics when other comics with far more unfamiliar names are outperforming such recognized names as Superman and the Justice League, and various other billion dollar properties. I don't believe the comics are really conducive to growing a larger audience, and it's definitely worth examining the why's and how's of that.

That said, does it all come down to SJW's? No, I don't think so, though I believe that plays a role. I have seen quite a few stories that strike me as inorganic and annoying in their partisan one-sided preachiness that seem to have strange priorities. Likewise, I've seen A LOT of stories that are just spinning their wheels, boring, been there done that, and just not captivating. Actually, from what I've seen, the majority of the work I've encountered from DC in recent history has fallen into that latter category.
    Interesting, good point on Magna being open to the same piracy, (Though overall I think DC and Marvel are getting killed by easily accessible piracy sights)

It does beg the question as to why Magna is outpacing Marvel and DC in sales. The member above brought up some interesting points, and I hypothesized it could be just part of a generational change, but......

I think you have a point on creative content. (I do find that comics aren't as well written as they use to be overall, I don't know why this is, maybe the superhero genre is finally hitting burn out)

As for the SJW phenomenon. (I only use this term because that what's these you tube personalities are saying)

I think if it's hurting comics it's because they are killing of or replacing people favourite heroes, as opposed to a muscle bound She Hulk, or preachy storylines.

One of these you tubers raved and raved about Tom King's Mr. Miracle as a return to how comics should be written....and I thought the series was a piece of crap, so....I think your right, SJW probably plays a part, but the lack of creativity overall is a much greater issue in decline of sales.

If all manga was to suddenly become 'self-aware' and do reboots just to change the status quo every few chapters people would get tired of it.

If you're reading Bleach and every first chapter of each book had a cosmic event that erased all you had read in the previous books, or re-wrote how they transpired, how much longer would you continue reading?

Before long you start wondering what parts of today's stories will be erased or rewritten with the next reboot, which would be just one continuity mistake away.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

While piracy is rampant on the internet, most of these people would have no intention of buying these comics or film tickets for that matter if it was not available as a download. Comic sales are dropping because they are failing to keep exiting fans and targeting new ones at the detriment to these sales. It doesn't help that most of these stories are flat opposed to indies. What's the point of following your favourite character that when the next writer comes on board, their history will be changed, erased or killed... then you have crappy cosmic changing events
    Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 07-24-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    While piracy is rampant on the internet, most of these people would have no intention of buying these comics or film tickets for that matter if it was not available as a download. Comic sales are dropping because they are failing to keep exiting fans and targeting new ones at the detriment to these sales. It doesn't help that most of these stories are flat opposed to indies. What's the point of following your favourite character that when the next writer comes on board, their history will be changed, erased or killed... then you have crappy cosmic changing events
    I agree the continuous tampering with characters and their history has most likely been detrimental to DC comic sales over the long run (Particularly if the character is killed off or ends up being replaced) (I've quit DC comics three times in my life, I came back, most I imagine don't)

As for a lack of new readers.....

Some ideas of been touched upon, they prefer Manga's format, a dip in quality writing at DC as mentioned, (I brought up a generational change) but accessibility is a major problem these days. You can only find printed comics now in comic book stores which are dying off like flies, and to get a digital download you have to go through Amazon.

Finally, the price of comics turns younger readers off. All that being said, I still think piracy is the main culprit in declining sales, despite Magna's success. Why pay for something you can get for free.

I grew up w DC the only titles i collect now are Justice League and the Wonder Girl mini.i use to collect Wonder Woman.Aquaman.The Outsiders.JSA.Titans.LSH however these were all Pre Flashpoint i haven't being instrested in anything since.it seems like Batman has taken over the DC Universe and i wonder if that's going to be it's Downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    I grew up w DC the only titles i collect now are Justice League and the Wonder Girl mini.i use to collect Wonder Woman.Aquaman.The Outsiders.JSA.Titans.LSH however these were all Pre Flashpoint i haven't being instrested in anything since.it seems like Batman has taken over the DC Universe and i wonder if that's going to be it's Downfall.
    Wonder Woman is really good right now. You should try it from #770 onwards.

Piracy is just a convenient scape goat. The fact is, DC (and Marvel) are producing product that not many people want at a price point not many people are willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Piracy is just a convenient scape goat. The fact is, DC (and Marvel) are producing product that not many people want at a price point not many people are willing to pay.
    I agree.
    You can even read most comics for free with a library card.

The price and the value just don’t match up.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

I don't think the generational gap has anything to do with it. Superheroes are all the rage now. Younger people love them. They just don't read superhero comics. Kids don't read them anymore. And if they do, it's manga like My Hero Academia, and I suppose we have to wait and see if the success of the Invincible series leads to a spike in TPs sales.