Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
This. That GF thing is very annoying to me because it demeans the character, and the nu52 was rife with that with respect to Power Girl. Honestly, I'd want any film with Power Girl in it to concentrate of telling HER story, not anyone else. There's more than enough to cover with establishing her own character, the plot, and some supporting characters....AND giving her a mission that makes her more than just a less famous but for me more satisfying version of Supergirl, ( which is one of WB's favorite ways to fail at making DC movies or TV, load them up with far too much stuff to cover in the runtime. In that respect, it's no wonder the Snyder cut was superior to Whedon's version, the runtime alone allowed him to flesh stuff out a bit more than the theatrical version could. Thing is, it never should have had to, as Marvel hit on the right way to do that sort of thing a long time ago, and it's called multiple movies. Bit of a digression there, I know, but it does go to the fact that PG needs any movie she's in to work on her, and not spread the attention too far.

This is after all a character who's mostly been in team books, having perhaps 35 or so total issues of sundry Power Girl comics, (counting her minis). And in none of those books did they really give it even a good try for developing her character or support. Yes, yes, she's had supporting characters and even a few villains of her own, but let's face it, even I couldn't name most of them without looking them up. She has no Jokers of her own, no Jimmy Olsen or Alfred or Gordon of her own....she needs that stuff first before even thinking of giving her a romantic interest, which BTW should be done in a much better way than they did in the nu52, which was basically an insult to women IMO. They dumbed her down, sexed her up and really just lost the traits that first manifested in All-Star Comics, and later work done in JLE/JLI/JLA (the Giffen Leagues) in favor of making her well, the nu52 version.

This is what I fear would happen to her in someone else's movie, especially with THAT character, given her horrible nu52 history with him. I will grant you though that at least she was far more formidable than he was in the nu52, but that's faint praise given everything else they did to her.
Does she need an established cast before a love interest? Superman and Lois? Wonder Woman and Steve? Batman didn't get any villain or love interest until Batman #1 (1940). You could make a point it was the golden age, different times. There's also an argument to be made about what modern stories are doing wrong in DC/Marvel. Power Girl can't be given an established cast when DC Comics is constantly changing everything because writers want to tell "their" version or an entirely different set of characters. How many love interests does Dick Grayson have? Despite having Starfire and Babs. Look at Wonder Woman. Her supporting cast never stays the same between writers (from what fans claim). Just read what DC Comics did during pre-crisis after the mod-era ended. Which is amazing how they fucked it up spectacularly when they set up the 12 labours of wonder woman to fix things.

I stated it before elsewhere, Batman and Superman have been treated right because fans have controlled their stories. They care about these characters you mention Power Girl is missing. You cannot establish these characters if there isn't nobody who cares about them (another point to make with writers constantly changing supporting cast). But, it isn't always been good to have fans control the stories. Because fans want to work with the popular characters, what they like. Look at how many Joker-centric stories there have been for years compared to Batman's many other rogues? Lex Luthor stories compared to Zod? Superman and Batman have a large cast of characters and villains that is woefully underdeveloped because fans (writers) don't care about them. They care about the Jimmy Olsens, the Jokers, the Alfreds, etc.

Despite how folks feel about it, having Val-Zod can work in her favor. Kara has always been the character with the stronger connection to Krypton more than Superman. So, pairing her up with another Kryptonian isn't a bad idea. It's about how the writers go about it. Robinson's idea sucked. Then again, it was the NEW52, a barely planned reboot that is considered by many to be a terrible idea. A period DC Comics has been actively working to get rid of out of their comics. Why keep looking at the New52 Earth-2?