Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    This. That GF thing is very annoying to me because it demeans the character, and the nu52 was rife with that with respect to Power Girl. Honestly, I'd want any film with Power Girl in it to concentrate of telling HER story, not anyone else. There's more than enough to cover with establishing her own character, the plot, and some supporting characters....AND giving her a mission that makes her more than just a less famous but for me more satisfying version of Supergirl, ( which is one of WB's favorite ways to fail at making DC movies or TV, load them up with far too much stuff to cover in the runtime. In that respect, it's no wonder the Snyder cut was superior to Whedon's version, the runtime alone allowed him to flesh stuff out a bit more than the theatrical version could. Thing is, it never should have had to, as Marvel hit on the right way to do that sort of thing a long time ago, and it's called multiple movies. Bit of a digression there, I know, but it does go to the fact that PG needs any movie she's in to work on her, and not spread the attention too far.

This is after all a character who's mostly been in team books, having perhaps 35 or so total issues of sundry Power Girl comics, (counting her minis). And in none of those books did they really give it even a good try for developing her character or support. Yes, yes, she's had supporting characters and even a few villains of her own, but let's face it, even I couldn't name most of them without looking them up. She has no Jokers of her own, no Jimmy Olsen or Alfred or Gordon of her own....she needs that stuff first before even thinking of giving her a romantic interest, which BTW should be done in a much better way than they did in the nu52, which was basically an insult to women IMO. They dumbed her down, sexed her up and really just lost the traits that first manifested in All-Star Comics, and later work done in JLE/JLI/JLA (the Giffen Leagues) in favor of making her well, the nu52 version.

This is what I fear would happen to her in someone else's movie, especially with THAT character, given her horrible nu52 history with him. I will grant you though that at least she was far more formidable than he was in the nu52, but that's faint praise given everything else they did to her.
    Does she need an established cast before a love interest? Superman and Lois? Wonder Woman and Steve? Batman didn't get any villain or love interest until Batman #1 (1940). You could make a point it was the golden age, different times. There's also an argument to be made about what modern stories are doing wrong in DC/Marvel. Power Girl can't be given an established cast when DC Comics is constantly changing everything because writers want to tell "their" version or an entirely different set of characters. How many love interests does Dick Grayson have? Despite having Starfire and Babs. Look at Wonder Woman. Her supporting cast never stays the same between writers (from what fans claim). Just read what DC Comics did during pre-crisis after the mod-era ended. Which is amazing how they fucked it up spectacularly when they set up the 12 labours of wonder woman to fix things.

I stated it before elsewhere, Batman and Superman have been treated right because fans have controlled their stories. They care about these characters you mention Power Girl is missing. You cannot establish these characters if there isn't nobody who cares about them (another point to make with writers constantly changing supporting cast). But, it isn't always been good to have fans control the stories. Because fans want to work with the popular characters, what they like. Look at how many Joker-centric stories there have been for years compared to Batman's many other rogues? Lex Luthor stories compared to Zod? Superman and Batman have a large cast of characters and villains that is woefully underdeveloped because fans (writers) don't care about them. They care about the Jimmy Olsens, the Jokers, the Alfreds, etc.

Despite how folks feel about it, having Val-Zod can work in her favor. Kara has always been the character with the stronger connection to Krypton more than Superman. So, pairing her up with another Kryptonian isn't a bad idea. It's about how the writers go about it. Robinson's idea sucked. Then again, it was the NEW52, a barely planned reboot that is considered by many to be a terrible idea. A period DC Comics has been actively working to get rid of out of their comics. Why keep looking at the New52 Earth-2?

I hope DC has Taylor write a Val Zod mini series. The only thing out there for people to read if they want to learn about the character is Earth 2. After Robinson started the series, there was an editorial mandate to destroy that earth. Taylor was brought in the change things and eventually end the book. There definitely needs to be something else for new fans to pick up. Taylor could get some deserved credit for creating the character and Val can be in a series that wasn’t put together by DC editorial.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yo let's go! I've seen some fan art or concept art already before I actually saw the news.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Does she need an established cast before a love interest? Superman and Lois? Wonder Woman and Steve? Batman didn't get any villain or love interest until Batman #1 (1940). You could make a point it was the golden age, different times. There's also an argument to be made about what modern stories are doing wrong in DC/Marvel. Power Girl can't be given an established cast when DC Comics is constantly changing everything because writers want to tell "their" version or an entirely different set of characters. How many love interests does Dick Grayson have? Despite having Starfire and Babs. Look at Wonder Woman. Her supporting cast never stays the same between writers (from what fans claim). Just read what DC Comics did during pre-crisis after the mod-era ended. Which is amazing how they fucked it up spectacularly when they set up the 12 labours of wonder woman to fix things.

I stated it before elsewhere, Batman and Superman have been treated right because fans have controlled their stories. They care about these characters you mention Power Girl is missing. You cannot establish these characters if there isn't nobody who cares about them (another point to make with writers constantly changing supporting cast). But, it isn't always been good to have fans control the stories. Because fans want to work with the popular characters, what they like. Look at how many Joker-centric stories there have been for years compared to Batman's many other rogues? Lex Luthor stories compared to Zod? Superman and Batman have a large cast of characters and villains that is woefully underdeveloped because fans (writers) don't care about them. They care about the Jimmy Olsens, the Jokers, the Alfreds, etc.

Despite how folks feel about it, having Val-Zod can work in her favor. Kara has always been the character with the stronger connection to Krypton more than Superman. So, pairing her up with another Kryptonian isn't a bad idea. It's about how the writers go about it. Robinson's idea sucked. Then again, it was the NEW52, a barely planned reboot that is considered by many to be a terrible idea. A period DC Comics has been actively working to get rid of out of their comics. Why keep looking at the New52 Earth-2?
    To the point about PG being more connected to Krypton than Superman...er, no, she's never been portrayed that way at all. The closest we ever came was the nu52 which made her a young child when she left and at least showed a panel or two of her ON Krypton. I agree that she should be, but in reality, what DC have always done with her was to present her as essentially a human who happens to be from Krypton with those powers. In short, she has never had much of a story linking her to her Krytpon; it was there, but not emphasized at all.

Pairing her up with another Kryptonian...isn't bad in theory; it's the timing and execution that DC will get wrong. Likely very wrong. And I do want to move PG away from that horrible period.

Putting it another way, DC ALREADY tried putting her with Val Zod and it didn't work, largely because it was very forced. Why assume they'd get it right now.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

This project can be really interesting. Val-Zod is a blank state, he can be reinvented and make popular like happened with Marvel's Blade.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    This
    I am against black clark kent
    not black superman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    More interested in seeing this than the Coates version. Hope it's good.
    Agreed and co-signed.... Same here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    This project can be really interesting. Val-Zod is a blank state, he can be reinvented and make popular like happened with Marvel's Blade.
    All true, but the key word is "can". Based on DC history, both with the character and others, I'd say the odds are heavily in favor that they won't do that, but instead, only make things worse. Honestly, for my own money, I'd rather have them bring back Bloodwynd and develop him. But that's just my thing, I doubt very much very many other even know who that is, much less like him. And frankly, I doubt they'd give him a better showing---I just don't think they're capable of doing things like that any more.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    To the point about PG being more connected to Krypton than Superman...er, no, she's never been portrayed that way at all. The closest we ever came was the nu52 which made her a young child when she left and at least showed a panel or two of her ON Krypton. I agree that she should be, but in reality, what DC have always done with her was to present her as essentially a human who happens to be from Krypton with those powers. In short, she has never had much of a story linking her to her Krytpon; it was there, but not emphasized at all.

Pairing her up with another Kryptonian...isn't bad in theory; it's the timing and execution that DC will get wrong. Likely very wrong. And I do want to move PG away from that horrible period.

Putting it another way, DC ALREADY tried putting her with Val Zod and it didn't work, largely because it was very forced. Why assume they'd get it right now.
    Power Girl never had Kandor? Hm, interesting. I'll take back that statement. I was thinking of Supergirl overall, by the way.

Because the New52 overall had many bad ideas that didn't work. If DC Comics only planned the New52 for 6-8 months, imagine how long it took for James Robinson to plan his Earth-2. By the way, I'm not stating she needs Val-Zod. Just the idea can work.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 07-25-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Nolan's Batman started with a budget of 150 million, ended with a box office of 374 million, Superman Returns began with a budget of 204 million and ended with a box office of 391 million, Batman ended with a trilogy, Superman it was cancelled. batman protagonist of BvS and JL, superman adding the 2 movies came out 10 minutes and had 10 sentences, the movies were a failure and the fault is superman, that's why batman already has his movie, superman simple rumors. Joker made a fool of himself, Lex too, Joker has his movie and a second one according to rumors, Lex is totally forgotten. Batman and his universe have all the opportunities in the world, the rest have to make it perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Nolan's Batman started with a budget of 150 million, ended with a box office of 374 million, Superman Returns began with a budget of 204 million and ended with a box office of 391 million, Batman ended with a trilogy, Superman it was cancelled. batman protagonist of BvS and JL, superman adding the 2 movies came out 10 minutes and had 10 sentences, the movies were a failure and the fault is superman, that's why batman already has his movie, superman simple rumors. Joker made a fool of himself, Lex too, Joker has his movie and a second one according to rumors, Lex is totally forgotten. Batman and his universe have all the opportunities in the world, the rest have to make it perfect.
    Yeah, the problem here is that Superman Returns was critically panned and the budget was way more than $204mil. According to box officemojo, it's $270mil. Whatever the numbers truly are, it's insanely expensive. While Batman Begins was critically praised and made its money back. Yeah, SR was one of the highest grossing films of 2006, but to WB it's a different story.

Thankfully though, we should remember someone wanted to do a SR sequel, but nothing came about it. I hold if Superman Returns was a proper first film and not a quasi-sequel to the Donner films, it would've done better. Anyways, I'll stick to my idea. These characters need a passionate team behind them. This is what get studios interested in them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Power Girl never had Kandor? Hm, interesting. I'll take back that statement. I was thinking of Supergirl overall, by the way.

Because the New52 overall had many bad ideas that didn't work. If DC Comics only planned the New52 for 6-8 months, imagine how long it took for James Robinson to plan his Earth-2. By the way, I'm stating she needs Val-Zod. Just the idea can work.
    You know, I don't think I really recall if she had Kandor as a hometown before the nu52 or not, whether it was some other Kryptonian city I can't say. Kandor was indeed her nu52 home. What I meant though was that while she was technically Kryptonian, it rarely if ever figured into her stories, which was probably why the Atlantean thing sort of worked for so long. I can't even tell you if she speaks Kryptonian for sure. It makes sense that she would...but I don't know for sure. We do know that pre nu52 Kara was...a lot smarter than the nu52 version, and supposedly "knew" thousands of languages. That, and she seemed to know a lot of high tech stuff beyond what a human would know...is basically it for what they ever did with her Kryptonian heritage. Superman and Supergirl had way more done with their being Kryptonian. About the only times it ever came into focus were for the traditional Kryptonian weaknesses. Beyond that, if you were a non comic book fan who knew nothing about the character and tried reading her stuff, you'd probably have no understanding that she was like Superman or Supergirl. Just a fairly generic flying brick really, with a fun personality and a lot of unrealized potential.

If anything they could always scrap the Power Girl connection or push it back for a sequel.