Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default The Positive Contribution of Evil Superman Analogues

I know evil Supermen is a tired trope at this point, but I think there are two good things to come out of them.

1. They point out how silly an idea like Batman vs Superman is without plot armor, when DC themselves won't because they want to make money.

2. They illustrate how Clark is defined by his choices, not by his powers.

Maybe Hank Henshaw should take notes.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-01-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Once upon a time I was one of those fans who think that Superman is boring and bland, that he needs some edge and maybe be a bad guy. Then I read some evil Superman stories and realised that its all bullshit. So to me positive is that sometimes it highlights that "real" Superman is actually okay.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I know evil Supermen is a tired trope at this point, but I think there are two good things to come out of them.

1. They point out how silly an idea like Batman vs Superman is without plot armor, when DC themselves won't because they want to make money.
    DC has done that themselves as well. Rucka had a mind controlled Superman almost kill Batman and only be saved by the intervention of other League members. The New 52 Justice League also had Superman defeat Batman and Green Lantern at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

2. They illustrate how Clark is defined by his choices, not by his powers.
    You don't need numerous evil Superman stories to do that. Smallville did this with several episodes where Clark lost his powers and still fought the good fight.

If anything, Evil Superman puts more focus on Clark's powers
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-23-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC has done that themselves as well. Rucka had a mind controlled Superman almost kill Batman and only be saved by the intervention of other League members. The New 52 Justice League also had Superman defeat Batman and Green Lantern at the same time.

You don't need numerous evil Superman stories to do that. Smallville did this with several episodes where Clark lost his powers and still fought the good fight.

If anything, Evil Superman puts more focus on Clark's powers
    Yeah, I don't want to be a negative Nancy but any positives are greatly outweighed by negatives in my book.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Antony Starr gives a great performance on the Boys.

That's it, that's the only good thing to come out of this.

I hope the flood of evil Superman have the positive effect of taking the novelt out of it, to the point DC will need to make a good Superman to give the audiences something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I hope the flood of evil Superman have the positive effect of taking the novelt out of it, to the point DC will need to make a good Superman to give the audiences something fresh.
    The people who love it will never get tired of more lol. That said how come we haven’t gotten a big Zod story? He’s Evil Superman! Do a big event where it’s Zod taking on the entire DCU, that could be a lot of fun!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think in some ways Evil Superman helps define regular Superman by listing all the things Superman is when done opposite.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Nothing stated here is a positive contribution of evil Superman. Superman has always been defined by his choices, ever since Action comics #1. Superman being defined by his powers is bad writing. Superman's powers are just tools in his fight against injustice and corruption, and his many enemies.
    The whole Batman thing is bullshit, everyone knows it. But, DC pushed the crap out of it because folks thought it was cool and didn't realize that TDKR actually had a point to Batman's victory. So now we got BS like the Red Son movie and Snyder's BvS.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I think in some ways Evil Superman helps define regular Superman by listing all the things Superman is when done opposite.
    Also an evil Superman who's not the REAL Superman lets you skip with the who questioning if Superman is actually evil thing. It's like SEE! THIS! is what Superman would be like if he was ACTUALLY evil.

Not going to go point for point, but in general, if any JL member represents this terrifying villain if gone rogue, then the distribution of high-profile stories of evil versions of heroes wouldn't involve so many evil Superman stories. It would be more of a mixed bag. And if you're going to pick on Superman as that villain, then you should actually pay that story off by showing what kind of havoc EVIL SUPERMAN! is going to wreak on the resistance. I think Invincible and The Boys do it better than Injustice. YMMV.

As for Shredder and Krang from the 1987 cartoon, Krang took over Dimension X, and Shredder soloed the TMNT (he did it at least once, but that wasn't a common occurrence on the cartoon). My overall point is that their combined forces should seem to be enough to stop the TMNT, but in every episode, they fail, because it's an 80s kid cartoon.