Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Positive Contribution of Evil Superman Analogues

I know evil Supermen is a tired trope at this point, but I think there are two good things to come out of them.

1. They point out how silly an idea like Batman vs Superman is without plot armor, when DC themselves won't because they want to make money.

2. They illustrate how Clark is defined by his choices, not by his powers.

Maybe Hank Henshaw should take notes.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-01-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Once upon a time I was one of those fans who think that Superman is boring and bland, that he needs some edge and maybe be a bad guy. Then I read some evil Superman stories and realised that its all bullshit. So to me positive is that sometimes it highlights that "real" Superman is actually okay.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I know evil Supermen is a tired trope at this point, but I think there are two good things to come out of them.

1. They point out how silly an idea like Batman vs Superman is without plot armor, when DC themselves won't because they want to make money.
    DC has done that themselves as well. Rucka had a mind controlled Superman almost kill Batman and only be saved by the intervention of other League members. The New 52 Justice League also had Superman defeat Batman and Green Lantern at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

2. They illustrate how Clark is defined by his choices, not by his powers.
    You don't need numerous evil Superman stories to do that. Smallville did this with several episodes where Clark lost his powers and still fought the good fight.

If anything, Evil Superman puts more focus on Clark's powers
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-23-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC has done that themselves as well. Rucka had a mind controlled Superman almost kill Batman and only be saved by the intervention of other League members. The New 52 Justice League also had Superman defeat Batman and Green Lantern at the same time.

You don't need numerous evil Superman stories to do that. Smallville did this with several episodes where Clark lost his powers and still fought the good fight.

If anything, Evil Superman puts more focus on Clark's powers
    Yeah, I don't want to be a negative Nancy but any positives are greatly outweighed by negatives in my book.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Antony Starr gives a great performance on the Boys.

That's it, that's the only good thing to come out of this.

I hope the flood of evil Superman have the positive effect of taking the novelt out of it, to the point DC will need to make a good Superman to give the audiences something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I hope the flood of evil Superman have the positive effect of taking the novelt out of it, to the point DC will need to make a good Superman to give the audiences something fresh.
    The people who love it will never get tired of more lol. That said how come we haven’t gotten a big Zod story? He’s Evil Superman! Do a big event where it’s Zod taking on the entire DCU, that could be a lot of fun!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The people who love it will never get tired of more lol. That said how come we haven’t gotten a big Zod story? He’s Evil Superman! Do a big event where it’s Zod taking on the entire DCU, that could be a lot of fun!
    I would probably love seeing zod delivering a good beat down to gl,the amazons,the god..etc whomever.Him just tearing through everyone as this unstoppable born and made soldier with a smug smile...heck!have him beat up kryptonite hellbat armour batman for fun...One punch man of dc...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

The Boys and Invincible show us that their take on Superman really is the top dog among all heroes.

On the other hand, DC's reigning champ as Evil Superman, Injustice Supes, is a weenie in comparison.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They can be used to tell good stories. When they aren't overdone, that is. The problem is, that's exactly where we are now. They even made a movie about it. I like the animation of Invincible but I'm just burned out of evil Supermen so I can't bring myself to watch it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    The Boys and Invincible show us that their take on Superman really is the top dog among all heroes.

On the other hand, DC's reigning champ as Evil Superman, Injustice Supes, is a weenie in comparison.
    Are we talking about the same guy who required another Superman from a different universe to beat?

Also, Homelander might be the most powerful "hero" in his universe but he's also Vought's lapdog. Injustice Superman isn't taking orders from anyone else.

Mighty Member

The answer is none, it is a tired concept that adds nothing of value, and the not truly Superman versions just work because they are not truly Superman and don't truly happen in the DC verse.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

How is making anyone else look like **** in comparison a good thing?

DCEU's Justice League, Bat-God, and trash like other Justice League members in the comics, Elseworlds, and so on getting jobbed out to make Superman and Batman look good are terrible enough already, the last thing we need is that DC starts to think they should also portray Superman as a god throning above the other superheroes, who are at the mercy of him not using his unstoppable holy power on them. Regardless if it is the typical DC way with Batman as the 1 exception, who has naturally 1000s of plans to take out Supe-God, the only thing worse than a Bat-God verse would be a Bat-God vs Supe-God verse.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 07-25-2021 at 10:32 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Are we talking about the same guy who required another Superman from a different universe to beat?
    Batman beat him the 2nd time around.Also,damn!people really hung up on superman's righteousness.huh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    How is making anyone else look like **** in comparison a good thing?
    Well,i like superman and i want some content where he goes around beating up every other hero,villain or whatever like a boss.. That's it.
    The other properties can do the reverse as well.That's that..heck!i would love to see aquaman killing the dcuniverse..it's not that serious.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-25-2021 at 06:52 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Proved that people would be just fine with Superman beating the crap out of Batman and Superman's fanbase is afraid of something that never really existed.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory