Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    For those who read the original, how different is this new version?
    They made his origin story more complicated. Its like comparing the Krypton scene in Superman the movie to the Man of Steele version.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Finally got my copy! Will be reading it this weekend-- hoping hoping hoping it's good--
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Finally got my copy! Will be reading it this weekend-- hoping hoping hoping it's good--
    I read it. It's great.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I hope they show his Conservative side because it really adds to the characters uniqueness and helps differentiate him more from simply being "Black Superman."
    (1) CBR Interviews of Hudlin , Braithwaithe and Leon Chills (1 week ago):

"One of the first questions asked of the creative team was directed toward Hudlin and asked if there was going to be a significant amount of time spent developing the slavery aspect of Icon's origin story. "Icon has been on Earth for 150 years," Hudlin answered. "We won't be telling stories just about his early childhood during slavery in America. His story will span decades, and we'll be showing him in a lot of surprising places all over the map."

https://www.cbr.com/interview-creato...nd-rocket/amp/

(2) HUDLIN interview with Syfywire (also about 1 week ago):

""I just remember having conversations about Icon and Rocket with Dwayne, and he gave such a beautiful definition of why the concept worked," Hudlin told a group of journalists, including SYFY WIRE, last week. "He described them as a unity of opposites: Male/female, young/old, human/alien, conservative/progressive, and that's exactly right. It's such a perfect pair because they've got nothing in common except they care. Icon [gets] pushed out of his cynicism by a young, naive but passionate Rocket. And I just thought 'Well that's just a great dynamic, period.' And if you add superpowers to it, it's even better."

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/creato...-dc-comics?amp

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Hope Hypo ("Don't have much exposure to these characters but thought this was a very solid debut issue. ") continues to post, as that could be a very good balance to my own perceptions as an I&R reader from days of yore. As I'm much with the EmeraldGladiator ("I am always more team Continuity over team Reboot") I agree with Customizer ("The issues that i can think of would really be nitpicking. "). the Supermannish piece of origin was annoying but then, less than a page long, and gone. Definitely glad I picked this up, and I'm looking forward to next issue. Biggest wish of course, is that they'd go for a long term series, rather than 'if "Season One sells, why then, Season Two," but I surely do see the point.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet