Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any Silver Age JLA aficionados here?

Hi all. Currently reading Silver Age JLA and so far I'm enjoying it (lots of science), especially Green Arrow. What did you most enjoy about this team during this era?

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    Hi all. Currently reading Silver Age JLA and so far I'm enjoying it (lots of science), especially Green Arrow. What did you most enjoy about this team during this era?
    Might want to clarify what issues you think of as "Silver Age". I started following them in 1972 (issue #101) but that would probably be "Bronze Age", not Silver.

I'm referring to the very beginning in the early 60s. What's your take on the Bronze Age?
    I'm referring to the very beginning in the early 60s. What's your take on the Bronze Age?

Well, I read the JLA story where the Crime Syndicate originally appeared and I loved it! I loved seeig a group that was the evil versions of the JLA who were just as strong and powerful, if not moreso (Superwoman did not wear her "Braelets of Submission, Ultraman grew stronger with each Kryptonite exposure, Power Ring had no Ring limitations, Owlman had a superpower). I believe that is in the time period you are referencing.

Have you read that story? If so, did you like it?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I love Silver and Bronze Age JLA. The Crime Syndicate story is my favorite story from that era. I'm a sucker for alternate realities, and the Crime Syndicate is a lot of fun, getting to see the JLA take on their evil counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I love Silver and Bronze Age JLA. The Crime Syndicate story is my favorite story from that era. I'm a sucker for alternate realities, and the Crime Syndicate is a lot of fun, getting to see the JLA take on their evil counterparts.
    Glad to have another fan who appreciates that story. I really enjoyed it!

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Retired

Although I picked up a couple of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA comics in the 1960s--issue 52 in 1967 and issue 63 in 1968--those weren't enough to put JUSTICE LEAGE OF AMERICA on my must buy list at the time. Also, back then, it was unpredictable what comics would show up in the drugstore each week.

The next issue I bought was 91 in 1971--the first issue of a two part League/Society team-up--and that made the title a must buy. Immediately after that two-parter, 93 went on sale, which was a Giant--64 pages for 35 cents--and the two classic stories in that issue were just so good. I really loved these early stories of the League--from issues 13 and 18 respectively. And the joy didn't end there, as issue 97 reprinted most of the origin from issue 9 and then issues 110 - 116 were the 100 Page Super-Specs which included reprints of many more classic adventures (51, 32, 19, 16, 29, 30, 40, 15).

While I liked the 1970s Justice League, I became a fan of the earlier version of the team--from Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky--as that was a much tighter group of characters. Fox always came up with ingenious plots that divided and regrouped the team. The early team was democratic in giving each member a chance to be the big hero. Characters like Aquaman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter and the Atom were just as important as Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and the Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Well, I read the JLA story where the Crime Syndicate originally appeared and I loved it! I loved seeig a group that was the evil versions of the JLA who were just as strong and powerful, if not moreso (Superwoman did not wear her "Braelets of Submission, Ultraman grew stronger with each Kryptonite exposure, Power Ring had no Ring limitations, Owlman had a superpower). I believe that is in the time period you are referencing.

Have you read that story? If so, did you like it?

Oooh which issue was that? I'm reading the Silver Age JLA chronologically and still on issue #6.

Oooh which issue was that? I'm reading the Silver Age JLA chronologically and still on issue #6.
    I think it was #29-30. Take your time and when you get to it, you will really enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post

Now I must read this Crime Syndicate story! Intrigued. Was this before or after Earth Crisis?

I think it was #29-30. Take your time and when you get to it, you will really enjoy it!
    Awesome!! Quick question, I'm really perplexed as to why Batman and Superman were 'non-participating members' during this period? Although they sporadically appear in these issues. Care to elaborate? Thanks!!

Awesome!! Quick question, I'm really perplexed as to why Batman and Superman were 'non-participating members' during this period? Although they sporadically appear in these issues. Care to elaborate? Thanks!!
    I really do not know. Perhaps it was because they had their own book(s) and the writers wanted to spotlight other heroes in the JLA?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Although I picked up a couple of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA comics in the 1960s--issue 52 in 1967 and issue 63 in 1968--those weren't enough to put JUSTICE LEAGE OF AMERICA on my must buy list at the time. Also, back then, it was unpredictable what comics would show up in the drugstore each week.

The next issue I bought was 91 in 1971--the first issue of a two part League/Society team-up--and that made the title a must buy. Immediately after that two-parter, 93 went on sale, which was a Giant--64 pages for 35 cents--and the two classic stories in that issue were just so good. I really loved these early stories of the League--from issues 13 and 18 respectively. And the joy didn't end there, as issue 97 reprinted most of the origin from issue 9 and then issues 110 - 116 were the 100 Page Super-Specs which included reprints of many more classic adventures (51, 32, 19, 16, 29, 30, 40, 15).

While I liked the 1970s Justice League, I became a fan of the earlier version of the team--from Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky--as that was a much tighter group of characters. Fox always came up with ingenious plots that divided and regrouped the team. The early team was democratic in giving each member a chance to be the big hero. Characters like Aquaman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter and the Atom were just as important as Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and the Flash.
    Thanks for being thorough on this. I'm reading this Silver Age run chronologically and based on what you are saying, it gets better in later issues. I wanted to get to know these characters deeply, and I'm personally enamored with Green Arrow! Not sure why, but his mysteriousness attracts me the most! I'm on the hunt for his Golden Age stuff by Weisinger. The Mike Grell stuff is definitely in my queue from my reading list.

My understanding is that editorial thought Superman and Batman were already in enough books. A shocking attitude since popular characters get more and more saturated in the books these days.

Just checked - this was the Crisis on Earth Three!! Been eyeing on this for so long as I wanted to understand Crisis haha!