View Poll Results: Has Diana's contribution to Superman/Wonder Woman so far been...

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excessive - She's taken over the whole book and Superman rarely gets any focus.

0 0%
  • Just right - There's been a fair balance between the two characters in terms of story and action.

9 36.00%
  • Lacking - She feels like a supporting character/guest star in a Superman book.

16 64.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there enough Wonder Woman in Superman/Wonder Woman?

In more than a few threads recently, the subject of Wonder Woman's contribution to SM/WW has cropped up for one reason or another. Rather than taking any other threads off topic, I thought I'd start a specific thread/poll on the subject. The intention here is to be impartial (well, that's the intention at least!). What I mean to say is this isn't a thread about the rights and wrongs of the relationship or the quality of writing in the book.

This is simply about how Wonder Woman has been used to date and how she might be used going forward. Presuming this works, there should be a poll above with three easy options. I've gone three bears basic, as that's all I'm trying to ascertain. And yes, I had to put the first option in, even though I can't imagine anyone is going to pick it - But hey, it's all opinion, so if someone does, feel free to explain why. And naturally beyond the options above, you can explain in more detail what you think Soule is getting right or wrong, in terms of Diana's input into the book to date.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 08-25-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

As much as I've enjoyed the title, I would like to see a little more focus on Wonder Woman - specifically her rogues. I'm not surprised that we've seen mostly Superman villains in the book as the book is edited by the Superman group editor but now that we're done with "Doomed", I'm hoping they'll put more focus on Diana's world. Other than the villains, I think Soule has done a good job with showing Diana is just as capable as Superman plus I love his introduction of Hessia to Diana's supporting cast. He's also used the Olympians, Angle Man, Blue Snowman, and Steve Trevor so it's obvious that he's trying to split the focus in the book.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 08-25-2014 at 06:10 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    In more than a few threads recently, the subject of Wonder Woman's contribution to SM/WW has cropped up for one reason or another. Rather than taking any other threads off topic, I thought I'd start a specific thread/poll on the subject. The intention here is to be impartial (well, that's the intention at least!). What I mean to say is this isn't a thread about the rights and wrongs of the relationship or the the quality of writing in the book.

This is simply about how Wonder Woman has been used to date and how she might be used going forward. Presuming this works, there should be a poll above with three easy options. I've gone three bears basic, as that's all I'm trying to ascertain. And yes, I had to put the first option in, even though I can't imagine anyone is going to pick it - But hey, it's all opinion, so if someone does, feel free to explain why. And naturally beyond the options above, you can explain in more detail what you think Soule is getting right or wrong, in terms of Diana's input into the book to date.
    Some will say yes. Some will say no. Some will say that some only say no because they hate the pair together. Some will respond to what some say about some by saying that the pair doesn't work at any level.

Then everyone will get warned by the mods.

PS - love the new Avatar. "It's...art."
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Yep. There's been plenty of Wonder Woman in Superman & Wonder Woman. She's been in literally every issue.

Soule started off with a Superman-centric arc, because let's face it, Superman and his rogues are more famous and more likely to sell the book in the beginning. Then Superdoom happened and dragged on too long. Even still, in this book, Diana has made meaningful contributions to nearly every issue.

She rescued Superman from two of his rogues. She has shown her strength and fighting skill more than once. She hurt Doomsday, which is 100% better than anything she's ever done against him before. And no, the Messner-Loebs appearance doesn't count. That wasn't the real Doomsday. She has helped to lead Earth's forces in defense against Brainiac's attack. She has TWICE now, saved Superman from being overwhelmed by Doomsday. Hell, Soule even found the time to work in a moment of Diana doing one of the most "Wonder Woman" things ever: inspiring a bunch of young girls to be strong.

Do I want to see more of Diana's rogues in this book? Sure. But that's just about the only legitimate complaint that I can bring against this book. Diana has been strong, brave, compassionate, heroic, and inspiring in this book, even if she HAS been only fighting Superman's enemies at this point.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yep. There's been plenty of Wonder Woman in Superman & Wonder Woman. She's been in literally every issue.

Soule started off with a Superman-centric arc, because let's face it, Superman and his rogues are more famous and more likely to sell the book in the beginning. Then Superdoom happened and dragged on too long. Even still, in this book, Diana has made meaningful contributions to nearly every issue.

She rescued Superman from two of his rogues. She has shown her strength and fighting skill more than once. She hurt Doomsday, which is 100% better than anything she's ever done against him before. And no, the Messner-Loebs appearance doesn't count. That wasn't the real Doomsday. She has helped to lead Earth's forces in defense against Brainiac's attack. She has TWICE now, saved Superman from being overwhelmed by Doomsday. Hell, Soule even found the time to work in a moment of Diana doing one of the most "Wonder Woman" things ever: inspiring a bunch of young girls to be strong.

Do I want to see more of Diana's rogues in this book? Sure. But that's just about the only legitimate complaint that I can bring against this book. Diana has been strong, brave, compassionate, heroic, and inspiring in this book, even if she HAS been only fighting Superman's enemies at this point.
    No, because I hate the pairing and will never ever be happy with the book as long as my darling pretty boy Steve Trevor is left crying in his milk that his girlfriend dumped him.

Sorry, it's the mad cow..

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    No, because I hate the pairing and will never ever be happy with the book as long as my darling pretty boy Steve Trevor is left crying in his milk that his girlfriend dumped him.

Sorry, it's the mad cow..

Well, at least you're honest.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I feel like in the beginning it was a good match of both characters but recently since the whole "Superdoom" story has taken over the title it has been more about superman and less about superman/wonder woman but I feel like once this story is over it will get back to being about the both of them.

There is definitely enough Wonder Woman in the book and a very good balance between her and Superman. However, there isn't enough yet in terms of Wonder Woman's enemies. It's mostly been Superman enemy story-lines at the moment. I understand that that they were setting up Doomed, but I'm hoping the new writer will start involving Wonder Enemies some more. A magical one such as Circe would be the kind of villain that would be a challenge for both heroes. So yeah, yes to enough WW, but not to enough WW bad guys. When Doomed finishes, I hope they can do some good alternating and get into a nice solid status quo.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Some will say yes. Some will say no. Some will say that some only say no because they hate the pair together. Some will respond to what some say about some by saying that the pair doesn't work at any level.
    Totally neutral tone here...

The first arc was decently balanced, but the Doomed arc is not balanced and obviously features more Superman.

BANNED

Then everyone will get warned by the mods.

PS - love the new Avatar. "It's...art."
    of course it's easier say that than look at the facts. peopel can also put that they will say that because they ship the pair. so everyone has a big bias on it

*draw me like one of your french girls* hahaha lizard woman is so lucky

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

The first arc was decently balanced, but the Doomed arc is not balanced and obviously features more Superman.
    None of them were balanced

I agree with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

this:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    I feel like in the beginning it was a good match of both characters but recently since the whole "Superdoom" story has taken over the title it has been more about superman and less about superman/wonder woman but I feel like once this story is over it will get back to being about the both of them.
    and this:

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    There is definitely enough Wonder Woman in the book and a very good balance between her and Superman. However, there isn't enough yet in terms of Wonder Woman's enemies. It's mostly been Superman enemy story-lines at the moment. I understand that that they were setting up Doomed, but I'm hoping the new writer will start involving Wonder Enemies some more. A magical one such as Circe would be the kind of villain that would be a challenge for both heroes. So yeah, yes to enough WW, but not to enough WW bad guys. When Doomed finishes, I hope they can do some good alternating and get into a nice solid status quo.
    In the annual I felt she was really sidelined...almost a supporting character. In the last issue she appeared in few pages, but at least she had a role of her own. In the other issues she wasn't a supporting character, even if I found her behaviour a bit strange in issue 10, but that is another story. The Doomed crossover in general has not been good to her except for the first issues. The first arc was balanced enough, after that though we should have had an arc more Wonder Woman's villains centered instead of one completely centered around Superman... This has currentely broken the balance for me, even if not till the point she has become a guest star except, like I said, for the annual, in which she really seemed so... (I'd vote for an option between the second and the third if there was one xD). Hope the balance will be restored soon.
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 08-25-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

BANNED

Want to read a good Wonder woman Annual, read aquaman last annual. more WW than aquaman.
    plus: WW carrying mera.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Want to read a good Wonder woman Annual, read aquaman last annual. more WW than aquaman.
    plus: WW carrying mera.
    I have read it, and I must agree with you. It was a nice annual, better than the Superman/Wonder Woman Annual for sure in term of Wonder Woman's role in it, and even more so considering she doesn't share the title. The villains were Aquaman's, but they had also a link to her, the gods and Heracles.
    If there was a poll like this for the Aquaman Annual, then option 1 with Aquaman instead of Superman, could get some votes xD
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

To me it constantly feels like it's Wonder Woman living in Superman's world, which disappoints me as I didn't pick up this title for Superman. No, I don't feel like she gets enough attention and especially not now in the doomed crossover, but even before that everything seemed to revolve around Superman, Wonder Woman spends her day thinking about Superman, talks the only Amazonian left about...getting the perfect gift for Superman, visits Themyscira surrounded by her snake sisters and talks to her -now clay- mother about...Superman.

I mean, not to say she SHOULDN'T think about Superman, she is his girlfriend, it's only natural but she can have other thoughts! Inversely, it seems like Superman hardly ever thinks about Wonder Woman when he's not with her, so yeah seems like all of Superman's problems revolves around his world and his life while all of Wonder Woman's problems revolve around Superman and how to be a good girlfriend to Superman.

Maybe if you count all her panel time and stuff it'll show she had she had just as much time in the comic as Superman, IDK, but how much of it was ACTUALLY about her?
    Last edited by Step; 08-25-2014 at 11:41 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    what this guy said