Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Jason's eternal plot "Joker killed me, I revived, I'm broken and nobody helps me"...writers should read Lobdell's Red Hood.

Also "Damian is going rogue again and he needs to show he is a hero"
    How many times has this actually happened? Curious since I see this a lot but it's only happened in Rebirth TT and injustice

2 times in the 13 years since the character became a good guy.

Did I miss some stories?

Even Teen titans he wasn't going rouge. he just took a stronger stance adopting some of the more questionable methods used by heroes.

Illegal Jail's are standard batman procedure

Superman and co have mindwiped bad guys and other heroes.

So even that doesn't qualify.

So glad Lobdell is off Red Hood that man did nothing but rehash his own stories. If I had to read one more Bruce/Jason faux angst or more I was killed and the family is **** I'd give up comics.

+

No more Bruce isolates himself from the family
    No more Gotham gets taken over
    Bruce manipulates his family and has to learn the importance of Family

Those have been done to death.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Power Girl not knowing where, when, how she's from whatever Krypton. Just make her Krypton a different universe and leave it at that.
    Donna Troy get's a new origin. Again.

Boisterously Confused

I'll dive in on prep time. Far as I can tell, the first case of it was JLA 1.112, which was pretty good, and it's been done well a couple of times since, but enough already.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Barry Allen - "Have I mentioned my dead mother recently or how depressed I am?"
    I lack the vocabulary to properly express how much I ****ing HATE this retcon.
    With the burning passion of a billion suns.

Unfortunately, it's now permeated it's way into movie and television depictions and the only version of Barry Allen people know.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Inb4 "why do you even read DC Comics?"

I do actually love these characters but I'm pretty tired of editors greenlighting the same stories every few years.

* Oliver Queen cheats on Dinah! "Oh, the scandal! Oh, the complexity!"
    * Evil/Brainwashed Superman.
    * Lois is a vulnerability and if she is killed then Superman goes crazy.
    * Batman can beat anyone with prep time, but is just a man.
    * Bruce has a long lost brother/old girlfriend/there's a new other richest family who built Gotham.
    * "Batman is just a human" masturbatory crap. It's been a very, very long time since he was "just a human being."
    * The Joker is Bruce's final boss and totes the biggest bad in Gotham. Stop jerking off about how evil he is. It makes Bruce look inept.
    * Another Bat sidekick. We have a cadre of like 25. Just use what's there.
    * The World's Finest are angry at each other.
    * Wonder Woman is in love with Bruce or Clark.
    * The Amazons are misandrists despite arguing for peace and love of all because that'll put them wiminz in their place!
    * Nightwing questions if he's good enough to be Bruce's heir.
    * Starfire is Nightwing's true love!
    * NO, BARBARA IS HIS TRUE LOVE!
    * Arthur loses the throne.
    * Arthur, please save us!
    * Arthur is betrayed and loses the throne.
    * Power Girl is X's new girlfriend. Don't worry about how it happened.
    * Harley Quinn sexually harassing Power Girl and getting away with it. I admit this one's more of a pet peeve.
    * It's not a crisis without a dead Flash!
    * [X], you are the new bestest GL ever!
    * The Guardians are big time assholes. WHAT A TWIST!
    * Remember the former big bad? WELL THIS ONE IS LIKE THEM BUT BIGGER AND COSMIC AND THEIR MOMMA! OH ****!
    * The Batman Who Laughs, or other lazy evil versions of characters who undermine the already existing stable of villains.
    * Read the last run? Sprock that, reboot the Legion.
    * "Marriages/Relationships/Kids/Families make characters boring!" Stop blaming (usually) women and children for your inability to write stories that connect with the reader.
    * "[x] turned evil! Isn't that interesting!" If it's a big character, they'll switch back and all you've done is dedicated a run to fixing this bullshit. If it's a small character, most people won't care about that character still and those who did are pissed off forever. Congratulations.
    Pretty much all the above. Especially Evil Superman and Batgod.

Also, bait and switches COUGHTomKingsBatmanCOUGH.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I lack the vocabulary to properly express how much I ****ing HATE this retcon.
    With the burning passion of a billion suns.

Unfortunately, it's now permeated it's way into movie and television depictions and the only version of Barry Allen people know.
    Yep. So why did Barry first became a hero? Because he idolize Jay Garrick in the comic?

Writers trying to be original by killing off Kent Nelson so a young punk with no training wields the mighty artifacts of Fate... DUH and F**M ME! Again?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yep. So why did Barry first became a hero? Because he idolize Jay Garrick in the comic?
    Jay Garrick was a comic book character on Earth-1, he inspired Barry Allen to go into forensics and then later, when Barry got his powers, he took up the Flash moniker in honor of Jay. Later, he met Jay Garrick for real when he broke the barrier between Earth 1 and 2.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Jay Garrick was a comic book character on Earth-1, he inspired Barry Allen to go into forensics and then later, when Barry got his powers, he took up the Flash moniker in honor of Jay. Later, he met Jay Garrick for real when he broke the barrier between Earth 1 and 2.
    I'd add that, while they were never explicit about it, Barry was originally written as a guy who thought it important to do the right thing, and who seemed to look on his abilities as a delightful gift that imposed a responsibility on him.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'd add that, while they were never explicit about it, Barry was originally written as a guy who thought it important to do the right thing, and who seemed to look on his abilities as a delightful gift that imposed a responsibility on him.
    Absolutely. He was just doing the right thing because he could. Because (he believed) it was the right thing to do. No trauma needed. As soon as he realized he had the abilities, he wanted to use them for good (and the comic gave him the idea of how). But I think it's fair to say he was also already doing good in the world as a police scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Booster Gold goes through an arc where he matures from a self-aggrandizing publicity-seeker to a more heroic wiser experienced stance, but people still tend to judge him by his first appearance as a bit of a show-off. Which they should, since he will reset to factory default the next time he appears, a few years later...
    Yep, can't stand that one. Or every time a new writer gets him, he goes back to being a complete idiot, yet somehow still is an expert at time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Barry Allen - "Have I mentioned my dead mother recently or how depressed I am?"
    Oh my goodness, Barry can be so depressing. Wally has become the Flash that is just happy to be the Flash. For Barry now, it's got all this emotional baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Sort of like Detroit in real life?
    Hey now.

I would say I'm tired of the "Dark and gritty" reboots. I'd just like to see some heroes who ENJOY being heroes. Sort of the vibe from the "Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen." I love drama, but when every comic goes deep into the dark personal tragedy of EVERY hero, then you start wishing there were some upbeat ones. You know, ones who inspire you to hope and actually act like they hope in real life.

There is a reason why Barry was killed off and bringing him back to the main continuity outside of an out-of-continuity Elseworlds story was a bad idea.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    There is a reason why Barry was killed off and bringing him back to the main continuity outside of an out-of-continuity Elseworlds story was a bad idea.
    Possibly.
    I personally had no issue with Barry returning, and if DC had handled it better fans would be much happier than they are today.
    At the time Barry was going to return, we were told Wally would also continue as the Flash in a second Flash Family title.
    If DC had followed this path, I have no doubt both characters would be in a better place today.
    Instead, we got the boneheaded 'there can be only one' mentality and Wally was shafted. DC then doubled down and began grafting Wally-lore to Barry, rebooting him as a novice, removing Iris from the equation making Barry Allen unrecognisable - especially when compared to his depiction prior to Crisis.

Sorry, back to our regularly scheduled programming.......
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

It was pointless the moment they changed his origin story by giving him dead mommy angst and turning him into the creator of the Speed Force. That's the second worst part, the worst part is still making Linda one of his love interests on the tv show.

I like Barry, I just prefer him without the emotional baggage and think he's far better without it.