Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Darkseid is always the big bad.
    Batman and "prep-time".
    Superman breaks bad.
    Legacy.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Legacy.
    Oh, this! I hate legacy stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Multiversial threats that are going destroy everything. I’d prefer if they scaled the threats down to a more universal level for a while.
    Gotham being near destruction every other month.

Wonder Woman as arm candy for Superman or Batman.

Batman gets another sidekick.

The Green Lantern Corps recruits another human from Earth.

Another survivor from Krypton turns up.

The Flash faces another evil speedster.

Number 1 for me is easily the dead parents/dead relative/dead friend crap.

Both Marvel and DC need to stop that, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post

Both Marvel and DC need to stop that, seriously.
    Shh! Don't say that, you and I both know they'll just move onto dead pets if they can't do parents/relatives/friends, and I love Ace and Krypto!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Superman origin. I think last year we got two.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Shh! Don't say that, you and I both know they'll just move onto dead pets if they can't do parents/relatives/friends, and I love Ace and Krypto!
    Krypto's dead in Future State

Speaking of dead relative and Aquaman, is Aquababy that's murdered back in canon?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-24-2021 at 11:27 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Roy Harper gets addicted to drugs.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Ooh. "The cause of Krypton's destruction is this new villain I made up."

Astonishing Member

Oliver Queen loses his company and becomes ''poor'' but continues fighting as Green Arrow as a ''man of the people'' now.

At last count this has been done four times - the Bronze Age, post-Cry of Justice, Lemire's New 52 run, and Percy's Rebirth run. (The first two and the last two were part of the same timeline, and now I guess its possible all four of them are).

And because this plot point is so prevalent, they had to adapt it on Arrow where it just did not make sense and functionally did not change anything.

In the first Batman Rebirth story, Bruce quips to Lucius how he keeps losing his fortune and Lucius keeps helping him get it back...but honestly, this trope applies way more to Green Arrow than to Batman.

Don't think this has been mentioned but "secret reveal about the past" - often a previously unknown child or sibling. An innocuous or coincidental event that turns out to have actually been designed. Usually a way to make a new character automatically important by having a prior connection to the hero, instead of just actually building up the importance of the character bit by bit. It's often a shortcut to me, and annoying (especially when it's a retcon that conflicts, rather than adds to, previous events). And I really would like to see more stories moving forward from the here and now, rather than rewriting the past or bringing in alternate or future versions of characters.

* Superman loses it after Lois dies.

* Green Lantern disagrees with the Guardians and rebels against them.
    Yep.

* Batman screwing over the Superhero Community (Agamemno Contingency Plans, Brother Eye etc)
    * Superman going evil and attacking the Earth
    * Guardians of the Universe being idiots
    I agree.

Lex Luthor convinces the world *again* that he's not a bad-guy and gets elected Mayor/President/whatever.

Someone threatens the throne of Atlantis. Probably Ocean Master, again.

Darkseid belches up another swarm of para-demons and attacks Earth, only to lose for the fiddy-billionth time. He never learns.
    Right there with you. And for the last point, I really do think so much sometimes about what might have happened if the Fourth World storyline had been close-ended, as it was intended to me.

Jason's eternal plot "Joker killed me, I revived, I'm broken and nobody helps me"...writers should read Lobdell's Red Hood.

Also "Damian is going rogue again and he needs to show he is a hero"
    Definitely.

Betrayal, team dysfunction and characters getting killed off for shock value in TT/Titans.

Batman treating everyone like crap and being a 'broken hero who can't save anyone and makes everything worst'.

Superman goes evil.

Cyborg questioning his humanity.
    Absolutely. And on that last point, I think several NTT got stuck in on repetitive ideas. Raven and Trigon/demonic nature, Gar and Mento going crazy/evil, and Starfire and poor, poor, Tamaran that keeps having terrible things happen to it. I liked some of these a lot the first time, but it's just tired now.

Legacy.
    Not a fan of that one in general, these days.

Gotham being near destruction every other month.
    Yeah. Actually, I'm kinda tired of frequent mass destruction and death, all around.

Batman gets another sidekick.

The Green Lantern Corps recruits another human from Earth.

Another survivor from Krypton turns up.

The Flash faces another evil speedster.
    All of those.

Good choice.

Oliver Queen loses his company and becomes ''poor'' but continues fighting as Green Arrow as a ''man of the people'' now.
    Yeah, it doesn't need to happen again. But how many times has it happened to Bruce. I can think of twice, I think?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-25-2021 at 07:39 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Donna Troy finding out she's not who "she thought she was" and having her origin retconned time and time again. Just go back to the original origin and stick with it. It totally works now with Wonder Woman being active since World War II.

The Justice League disbanding because they can't get along or half the team quits. Even if half the team quits, I'm sure there's a long line of heroes waiting to fill the open slots on the team.

The Titans relaunching with a line-up of half or more new characters. This was only really successful in 1980 and has fizzled out since.

Wonder Woman getting a new supporting cast or "big bad" when a new writer takes over her book. It's Steve, Etta, Hippolyta, Donna, Cassie, Nubia, Cheetah, Ares, Circe, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, & Dr. Poison. Work with most of them or write a different book.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Don't think this has been mentioned but "secret reveal about the past"
    I wrote that yesterday. Worded it differently. “Previously unknown things from the past. Siblings, parents, lovers, secrets, etc.” Tying a new idea or character to the past is, as you put it, a shortcut to making that idea or character important. It’s lazy writing.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I wrote that yesterday. Worded it differently. “Previously unknown things from the past. Siblings, parents, lovers, secrets, etc.” Tying a new idea or character to the past is, as you put it, a shortcut to making that idea or character important. It’s lazy writing.
    Sorry, I must have just read over that one.