Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Don't think this has been mentioned but "secret reveal about the past" - often a previously unknown child or sibling. An innocuous or coincidental event that turns out to have actually been designed. Usually a way to make a new character automatically important by having a prior connection to the hero, instead of just actually building up the importance of the character bit by bit. It's often a shortcut to me, and annoying (especially when it's a retcon that conflicts, rather than adds to, previous events). And I really would like to see more stories moving forward from the here and now, rather than rewriting the past or bringing in alternate or future versions of characters.
    Especially when the previously unknown character happens to arrive on the scene just as a mysterious new villain is making our hero's life miserable. Hmm, I wonder who the villain will turn out to be...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Inb4 "why do you even read DC Comics?"

I do actually love these characters but I'm pretty tired of editors greenlighting the same stories every few years.

* Oliver Queen cheats on Dinah! "Oh, the scandal! Oh, the complexity!"
    * Evil/Brainwashed Superman.
    * Lois is a vulnerability and if she is killed then Superman goes crazy.
    * Batman can beat anyone with prep time, but is just a man.
    * Bruce has a long lost brother/old girlfriend/there's a new other richest family who built Gotham.
    * "Batman is just a human" masturbatory crap. It's been a very, very long time since he was "just a human being."
    * The Joker is Bruce's final boss and totes the biggest bad in Gotham. Stop jerking off about how evil he is. It makes Bruce look inept.
    * Another Bat sidekick. We have a cadre of like 25. Just use what's there.
    * The World's Finest are angry at each other.
    * Wonder Woman is in love with Bruce or Clark.
    * The Amazons are misandrists despite arguing for peace and love of all because that'll put them wiminz in their place!
    * Nightwing questions if he's good enough to be Bruce's heir.
    * Starfire is Nightwing's true love!
    * NO, BARBARA IS HIS TRUE LOVE!
    * Arthur loses the throne.
    * Arthur, please save us!
    * Arthur is betrayed and loses the throne.
    * Power Girl is X's new girlfriend. Don't worry about how it happened.
    * Harley Quinn sexually harassing Power Girl and getting away with it. I admit this one's more of a pet peeve.
    * It's not a crisis without a dead Flash!
    * [X], you are the new bestest GL ever!
    * The Guardians are big time assholes. WHAT A TWIST!
    * Remember the former big bad? WELL THIS ONE IS LIKE THEM BUT BIGGER AND COSMIC AND THEIR MOMMA! OH ****!
    * The Batman Who Laughs, or other lazy evil versions of characters who undermine the already existing stable of villains.
    * Read the last run? Sprock that, reboot the Legion.
    * "Marriages/Relationships/Kids/Families make characters boring!" Stop blaming (usually) women and children for your inability to write stories that connect with the reader.
    * "[x] turned evil! Isn't that interesting!" If it's a big character, they'll switch back and all you've done is dedicated a run to fixing this bullshit. If it's a small character, most people won't care about that character still and those who did are pissed off forever. Congratulations.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Relatively recent one so its hard to say its "re-hashed", just rather its unearned and uninteresting:
    Jon has the potential to be the most powerful being in the universe. Just stop it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Relatively recent one so its hard to say its "re-hashed", just rather its unearned and uninteresting:
    Jon has the potential to be the most powerful being in the universe. Just stop it.
    Sweet Jesus, yes.

Yeah, I like Jon and even I'm tired of him being touted as the next messiah.
    May we never forget:

Zatanna and "what was my father doing before he died?"

They were mentioned before, but I will mention them again. Raven and daddy issues, Cyborg and daddy issues or "am I more man than machine?"
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

*Batman having a backup plan for literally everything.

*Stories about what an "inspiration" Superman is because they can't think of anything else to do with him.

*Crisis'. Specifically ones where nothing actually changes and things just get more confusing. Reboot or don't.

*Everyone has to have a dead parent.

*References to a multiverse you have no intention of using or doing anything with. If you're going to give us back Earth 2 or the pre-Crisis Earth, then do something with it.

*Not settling on a carved in stone origin for Superman. This can apply to any number of other characters as well, I'm certain.

*Letting certain writers make up their own rules and then everybody else has to abide by that even if it contradicts what came before.
    Assassinate Putin!

Barry Allen - "Have I mentioned my dead mother recently or how depressed I am?"

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Definitely a thing. I've grown to like particular costume of hers from the bronze age just because it neither a feminized version of her father's, nor a copy of her mother's. She needs to be out of that shadow. Not that her parents were never important. But the story has been told and she needs to not keep circling back to her life being about their lives.

Now there's one that never should have existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh yeah totally. Barry needs his mother back and Diana needs her daddy gone.

Williamson’s run was one big Barry Allen self-pity party.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

They were mentioned before, but I will mention them again. Raven and daddy issues, Cyborg and daddy issues or "am I more man than machine?"
    Yeah. At this point the only thing left to do with Giovanni is revive him.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah. At this point the only thing left to do with Giovanni is revive him.
    True, and this is off topic, but I was surprised he wasn't used in Gotham.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Jason's eternal plot "Joker killed me, I revived, I'm broken and nobody helps me"...writers should read Lobdell's Red Hood.

Also "Damian is going rogue again and he needs to show he is a hero"
    Yupp

- Bruce loosing his fortune

- the GCPD/Gordon loosing their trust in Batman, Politicians blaming all the violence and crime in Gotham on Batman

- the "Gray Son of Gotham"

- Gotham getting taken over by Villains

- Green Arrow loosing his fortune/ becoming Mayor

- trying to bring stuff from old continuities into current canon, that simply don't fit in without massive contradictions
    Last edited by Aahz; 07-25-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Gotham being near destruction every other month.
    Sort of like Detroit in real life?