Thread: Spinal Tap 2

Default Spinal Tap 2

Spinal Tap 2 with the original cast is happening I wonder if this can work?

https://screenrant.com/spinal-tap-2-...-announcement/

I love Spinal Tap, but don’t do it guys.

Astonishing Member

Answer: it won't.

The chance to do a sequel has long since passed. The 1990s would have been a perfect time when the height of metal had faded and everything was shifting to RnB, Rap and commercial pop. How would a metal band try to remain relevant in such an era?

Now all they can do with it is the band coming out of retirement to do a concert. Probably cash in on how so many bands are returning due to nostalgia - Pink Floyd dropping a new track in decades, ABBA a new album etc.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Answer: it won't.

The chance to do a sequel has long since passed. The 1990s would have been a perfect time when the height of metal had faded and everything was shifting to RnB, Rap and commercial pop. How would a metal band try to remain relevant in such an era?

Now all they can do with it is the band coming out of retirement to do a concert. Probably cash in on how so many bands are returning due to nostalgia - Pink Floyd dropping a new track in decades, ABBA a new album etc.
    Exactly, a sequel would have been a lot more meaningful 20yrs ago.

Spinal Tap is one of the greatest comedies of all time but I hope a sequel doesn’t happen. As others have already said, it would have been interesting 20-25 years ago but I don’t want to see David St. Hubbins and the boys pushing 80. Then again Michael McKean was fantastic on Better Call Saul so he still has the acting chops.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

With the return of nostalgia bands it actually makes doing a follow up seem like it could be a fun idea. Will it capture the fun of the original? Maybe not, but these guys don't know how to make a bad movie so I imagine that on its own it will be more than entertaining enough.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

If they do do this, I'll be peeved if it isn't called "This was Spinal Tap".
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 05-13-2022 at 04:09 AM.

Actually, if they did it based on cliches about ageing rock stars reforming way past their prime (like the Stones, or anyone now touring playing an album end to end) it could come out ok. The guys have been playing these characters in and off for years, and they can all still improv. I think the worst thing would be if it was really self-indulgent with celebrity cameos and just ran the old jokes into the ground instead of coming up with any new material, but they’re better than that (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Spinal Tap is one of the greatest comedies of all time but I hope a sequel doesn’t happen. As others have already said, it would have been interesting 20-25 years ago but I don’t want to see David St. Hubbins and the boys pushing 80. Then again Michael McKean was fantastic on Better Call Saul so he still has the acting chops.
    Rubbish trivia: The Clifford Main actor was also the original Spinal Tap drummer (in the “Listen To The Flower People” video).

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Exactly, a sequel would have been a lot more meaningful 20yrs ago.
    Disagree. thwhtGuardian made the great point that this could dig at the bands who don't know how to hang it up. I can catch Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, The Who and Bob Dylan this summer and they are all in their mid-late 70s (Dylan is 80!!) with their first album coming out at least 50 years ago. 20-25 years ago, you probably could have parodized the era of the Reunion Tour, but I think there's just as much to cover in the present day that didn't really exist back then.

That's not to say that it will be good, but there is a concept that they could mine.

They already did something new 20-25 years ago when they released the DVD, with McKean, Guest and Shearer doing a commentary track in character. As far as I'm concerned, it is the funniest DVD or blu-ray commentary track ever.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Retired

They've done plenty of shows over the years. There's enough film in the can to do an entire Tap anthology.

I don't think they could ever re-do the original mockumentary, but they could do a different sort of thing mocking old rockers who get the band back together for one final tour.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Disagree. thwhtGuardian made the great point that this could dig at the bands who don't know how to hang it up. I can catch Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, The Who and Bob Dylan this summer and they are all in their mid-late 70s (Dylan is 80!!) with their first album coming out at least 50 years ago. 20-25 years ago, you probably could have parodized the era of the Reunion Tour, but I think there's just as much to cover in the present day that didn't really exist back then.

That's not to say that it will be good, but there is a concept that they could mine.
    You could definitely get a decent plot out of the idea of an over hill band getting back together and doing the nostalgia circuit. But I would want see I guess a certain type of music industry satire from Spinal Tap and that world no longer exists. But now that I think about it, maybe that could be the gag...the guys don't get how streaming works, don't understand that kids don't listen to radio etc...