Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Vin Diesel and The Rock beef

I don't know what this thread is about, but I totally want to see the sit com with this title.

Astonishing Member

Vin should have made a sequel to the Last Witch Hunter, that movie had potential as a trilogy at least

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Here you go.

Everyone can read for themselves, but it basically goes like this:
    Vin goes method to get the best performance from Rock in Fast Five, since their characters are antagonists to each other.
    Vin, in his mind, is like "hey it was for the movie, no hard feelings". Rock on the other hand, in his mind, is like "F this dude."
    Rock carries that sentiment going forward in future installments, Vin finally responds in kind (his twitter post for the 8th movie).
    However that tweet was probably the catalyst that got the two to work it out at least as of 2019.

Folks assumed Vin was the culprit, and they were right, but assumed the reason was because Vin was jealous Rock's a franchise maker and he is not. Vin was wrong in assuming all the things he did about the Rock, that Rock couldn't get into character unless he "pushed" him. I'm sure the Rock resented that as well.
    Answering myself here but not only was I was wrong about the underlined, it was enough for Rock to leave the franchise after part 8 (I think he still wants to do a Hobbs and Shaw 2, though.). During an interview for Jungle Cruise, The Rock and Emily Blunt joked about Vin Diesel's "Felliniesque" comment (how Vin claims he channeled Federico Fellini to get the best performance out of the Rock for Fast Five (despite being the producer not the director)).:

When asked about Diesel’s comments, Johnson says, “I laughed and I laughed hard. I think everyone had a laugh at that. And I’ll leave it at that. And that I’ve wished them well. I wish them well on Fast 9. And I wish them the best of luck on Fast 10 and Fast 11 and the rest of the Fast & Furious movies they do that will be without me.” Blunt can’t resist extending the moment. “Just thank God he was there,” she says of Diesel. “Thank God. He carried you through that.” “Felliniesque,” Johnson says.

Dwayne Johnson Slams Door On Return To ‘Fast And Furious’ Franchise, Calls Vin Diesel’s Social Media Ask “Manipulation”

“This past June, when Vin and I actually connected not over social media, I told him directly — and privately — that I would not be returning to the franchise. I was firm yet cordial with my words and said that I would always be supportive of the cast and always root for the franchise to be successful, but that there was no chance I would return. I privately spoke with my partners at Universal as well, all of whom were very supportive as they understand the problem.

“Vin’s recent public post was an example of his manipulation. I didn’t like that he brought up his children in the post, as well as Paul Walker’s death. Leave them out of it. We had spoken months ago about this and came to a clear understanding. My goal all along was to end my amazing journey with this incredible ‘Fast & Furious’ franchise with gratitude and grace. It’s unfortunate that this public dialogue has muddied the waters. Regardless, I’m confident in the ‘Fast’ universe and its ability to consistently deliver for the audience, and I truly wish my former co-stars and crew members the best of luck and success in the next chapter.”

...guess we're not getting Hobbs and Shaw 2. :/

Astonishing Member

...guess we're not getting Hobbs and Shaw 2. :/
    I was under the impression Vin Diesel would only be interested in the main F&F series that's winding down.

I don't follow these kinds of feuds but Hobbs & Shaw 2 wouldn't need Vin Diesel at all and I'd think it would still happen unless Rock, Statham or both say no to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    As much as guys criticize VD, I think Johnson and even Statham aren’t acting with maturity.

These guys that have stuff in their contracts that stipulates that they can’t get beat up too much. And stipulates how many punches they can throw and receive.

These guys are petty.

Going into projects with that kind of mindset will always lead to some friction. It essentially comes down to a dick measuring contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, this. They're all jerks in this, to one degree or another.
    Maybe it doesn't make for well made fight scenes, but I haven't seen this stuff about Johnson and Statham's contract deals generating any hostility from people they work with. It's brand protection but every big name Hollywood star does it, for good or for ill.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Maybe it doesn't make for well made fight scenes, but I haven't seen this stuff about Johnson and Statham's contract deals generating any hostility from people they work with. It's brand protection but every big name Hollywood star does it, for good or for ill.
    I honestly don't know of much hostility between Vin and anyone else. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be stuff between Rock and a few other cast members of FF.

Also, I'd point out that not all action stars have the same 'protection' for their characters. Chris' Cap, Black Widow and plenty of other characters have been beaten bloody without landing an equal amount of punches on the bad guys. I'm sure The Rock's rep will survive if he gets punched a few extra times.

Vin is the one with the "can't be beat" rule for fatf. That's why this auto nerd from fast 1 (that was a complete rip-off of point break) can beat superman if he was in a fatf film. He went from having trouble breaking into a truck to pulling down a roof with his bare hands.

Johns take--

Here you go.

Everyone can read for themselves, but it basically goes like this:
    Vin goes method to get the best performance from Rock in Fast Five, since their characters are antagonists to each other.
    Vin, in his mind, is like "hey it was for the movie, no hard feelings". Rock on the other hand, in his mind, is like "F this dude."
    Rock carries that sentiment going forward in future installments, Vin finally responds in kind (his twitter post for the 8th movie).
    However that tweet was probably the catalyst that got the two to work it out at least as of 2019.

Folks assumed Vin was the culprit, and they were right, but assumed the reason was because Vin was jealous Rock's a franchise maker and he is not. Vin was wrong in assuming all the things he did about the Rock, that Rock couldn't get into character unless he "pushed" him. I'm sure the Rock resented that as well.
    I've seen a few other stories that start with a method actor taking things too far on costars. I'm waiting for a story where one guy beats the other to a pulp over it, to be honest.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I honestly don't know of much hostility between Vin and anyone else. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be stuff between Rock and a few other cast members of FF.
    There were some issues with Tyrese getting mad at Johnson over the latter getting a spinoff, but I think that was due to some issues in his personal life bleeding over to his professional one.

My point was that I don't think Johnson and Statham having stipulations about how many punches their characters should receive is comparable to Diesel going method on a cast mate. Idris Elba, for example, doesn't have any unkind words to say about them from what I've heard.

Also, I'd point out that not all action stars have the same 'protection' for their characters. Chris' Cap, Black Widow and plenty of other characters have been beaten bloody without landing an equal amount of punches on the bad guys. I'm sure The Rock's rep will survive if he gets punched a few extra times.
    Perhaps so. I guess you could say Evans isn't in the position that he can make such a demand the way Johnson can.

Vin Diesel needs The Rock more than the Rock needs him.

Vin tried to get cute & The Rock called him out on his BS.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Vin Diesel needs The Rock more than the Rock needs him.

Vin tried to get cute & The Rock called him out on his BS.
    I was just thinking about this. While technically true...he's in the middle of a franchise that already has 10 and 11 on the schedule. Why the desperation? I.E the tweet where he begged the Rock (after a private discussion where the Rock told him he's done) using his kids and some promise Johnson made to Paul Walker. Emotional blackmail, basically. That's a bad look for him going foward IMO. Johnson will continue to make franchises, meanwhile Vin is struggling post F&F to get his other franchises going (xXx and Riddick immediately come to mind).

Extraordinary Member

Yeah Vin effed up here. He probably took the Rock for granted as hard as that is to believe.

Retired

Ah a roast tenderloin beef vin diesel and the rock, with hemsworth pudding, drizzled with van damme sauce, and a serving of sigourney salad on the side. Chef's kiss.

I'll give you Riddick, but xXx3 was actually a hit and made more than the other two before it. What's holding up xXx4 is a lawsuit. Screenrant is so far the only site I've found that explains it plainly.
    Riddick was a hit too not a huge hit but in did about 100 million.