Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    As much as I love Mac as Guardian, I'd be fine if he and Heather (who I always found a terrible leader, despite the writers constantly telling us, though never quite showing, how amazing she was) retired from active duty and went on to work on their family life, just occasionally working behind the scenes. They could give the Guardian suit and name to Vancouver P.D Detective Sean Bernard, who before James McDonald Hudson took on the mantle of the Guardian (or Weapon Alpha or Vindicator) was selected to pilot the prototype suit (then called Groundhog), used only once before by Hudson. He only had one appearence (that I know of) but I always thought he was a good character (Hudson was belived dead when he was introduced in an Alpha Flight Special). They could build a new Alpha Flight around him. There are pleanty of former members that could be called back to active duty (Marrina, Shaman, Snowbird, Wildchild/Wildheart, Box (Jeffries), Nemesis, Pathway, Puck, Windshear, etc...)

Peace
    Agreed. I'm sure Mac and Heather have their fans, but seeing a team dynamic that isn't anchored around one or the other Hudson could be interesting. Seeing Walter, Jean-Marie or Eugene pick up the torch would be interesting. (Jean-Paul and Michael seem to have moved on to X affairs or the more mystical side of the MU, although a younger Alpha team headlined by *Elizabeth*, with most of the original team being occasional guest-stars and mentors and the like, could be fun!)

Their status is that no heavy-hitting creators want to raise their profile.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Other than that one panel that showed Gyrich whispering in Mac's ear, what other evidence do we have that Marvel is assassinating his character?

I wouldn't put it past them, mind you, I'm just curious why that conclusion has been jumped to.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    byrne established hudson as a pedophile what are we freaking out about, he can only go up
    And that's one of the more inoffensive underage girl moments Byrne has included in his work. That I can think of at least three others is worrying.

No Flex, No Flight
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    It’s sad that the complete classic AF run still isn’t available as trades.
    Yeah, they stopped at the end of Byrne's run. Mantalo's is very uneven and many AF fans consider it terrible (I'm not one of them. I hate some things in it and I like others. For one, it was my introduction to Dave Ross, who went on to become one of my favorite pencilers). Of course, it was the introduction of super-star artist Jim Lee, before he went on to grace the pages of X-Men. Storywise, I liked very much Hundall's, though I think John Calimee (who had like a poor man's Steve Rude style) hurt it a bit. The concluding issue of the run had great early in the carreer art by Mark Bagley. Then comes the Fabian Nicienza run (which first brought back Mac). IMHO, though not a huge fan of Micheal Bair's art, it was top notch, and it's the only run comparable to Byrne's early issues. It sort of made AF finally live up to it's full potential as Canada's main super-hero team. It was kind of brief, but IMHO, it was great. Then came Lodbell's short stint (Marvel's main go to guy at the time), and then Furman's and Broderick, which, IMHO, while good, was very often derailed by happenings in other books (mostly Starlin's Infinity books). So, with such an uneven run, I kind of understand Marvel's reluctance in investing in more collected editions. But, IMHO, there's pleanty of material they could cherrypick and collect.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yeah, they stopped at the end of Byrne's run. Mantalo's is very uneven and many AF fans consider it terrible (I'm not one of them. I hate some things in it and I like others. For one, it was my introduction to Dave Ross, who went on to become one of my favorite pencilers). Of course, it was the introduction of super-star artist Jim Lee, before he went on to grace the pages of X-Men. Storywise, I liked very much Hundall's, though I think John Calimee (who had like a poor man's Steve Rude style) hurt it a bit. The concluding issue of the run had great early in the carreer art by Mark Bagley. Then comes the Fabian Nicienza run (which first brought back Mac). IMHO, though not a huge fan of Micheal Bair's art, it was top notch, and it's the only run comparable to Byrne's early issues. It sort of made AF finally live up to it's full potential as Canada's main super-hero team. It was kind of brief, but IMHO, it was great. Then came Lodbell's short stint (Marvel's main go to guy at the time), and then Furman's and Broderick, which, IMHO, while good, was very often derailed by happenings in other books (mostly Starlin's Infinity books). So, with such an uneven run, I kind of understand Marvel's reluctance in investing in more collected editions. But, IMHO, there's pleanty of material they could cherrypick and collect.

Peace
    I liked Lobdell’s run. He really made the book his own, and didn’t wipe out everything that came prior.

After Byrne’s initial run, yeah it was pretty uneven. There were some bright spots, like the team in space, things leading up to and around the Dream Queen. I really thought Jade Dragon was going to end up on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    No Flex, No Flight
    I’d love to see Flex defeat Radius at the arena.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Their status is that no heavy-hitting creators want to raise their profile.
    A very good point there.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Other than that one panel that showed Gyrich whispering in Mac's ear, what other evidence do we have that Marvel is assassinating his character?

I wouldn't put it past them, mind you, I'm just curious why that conclusion has been jumped to.
    I think off the principle that "past is prologue," since Mac was written to have been doing other shady crap in more recent comics beyond Gyrich trying to invite him to join ORCHIS, like putting Heather in a virtual-reality prison to "rehabilitate" her as established in Alpha Flight: True North, and then becoming one of the leaders of the new shady government organization J.A.N.U.S. that was pulling the strings behind the reopening of Ravencroft in the Ravencroft miniseries spinning out of Absolute Carnage last year.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think off the principle that "past is prologue," since Mac was written to have been doing other shady crap in more recent comics beyond Gyrich trying to invite him to join ORCHIS, like putting Heather in a virtual-reality prison to "rehabilitate" her as established in Alpha Flight: True North, and then becoming one of the leaders of the new shady government organization J.A.N.U.S. that was pulling the strings behind the reopening of Ravencroft in the Ravencroft miniseries spinning out of Absolute Carnage last year.
    Ah, ok. I didn't read that True North story the same way I guess. I took it as Mac doing what he thought was most compassionate given the situation, if not a little misguided.

And I skipped all things Ravencroft, as that "event" looked awful.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It gets worse . . . in the last Alpha Flight series, Heather/Vindicator was brainwashed by the Master of the World and joined his Alpha Strike team, murdering her relatives who had cared for her daughter Claire when she and Mac were dead because said relatives wouldn't let Heather regain custody of Claire out of fear that her superhero lifestyle would endanger Claire, and that series ended with a still-brainwashed Heather on the run with Claire. As of the one-shot back in 2019 called Alpha Flight: True North, Heather was apprehended and placed in Mac's custody, with Mac subjecting her to a VR (virtual reality) prison meant to "rehabilitate" her, and that's not even getting into what's happened with him being one of the leaders in J.A.N.U.S., the new shady government agency replacing S.H.I.E.L.D. as of the end of the Ravencroft miniseries . . . another one of those leaders being Malcolm Colcord from Weapon X.
    What the fudge is wrong with these people ?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ah, ok. I didn't read that True North story the same way I guess. I took it as Mac doing what he thought was most compassionate given the situation, if not a little misguided.

And I skipped all things Ravencroft, as that "event" looked awful.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What the fudge is wrong with these people ?
    Shock if I know.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ah, ok. I didn't read that True North
    You don’t need to, I did it yesterday. Don’t bother with it, it’s just 3 short stories.

I can't believe all these years later Heather is still brainwashed.
    Sandman has been mind controlled for what 15 years now and his "friend" the thing has a freaking machine that can cure him from that machines brainwashing (they used it twice) in reeds lab and won't! Some friend!

Polaris was mind controlled by malice in the 80s and fought the x-men over and over and they did nothing to try to save her and free her from mind control! (they did insult her a bunch however!)

Heroes like to just not care when others are mind controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Heroes like to just not care when others are mind controlled.
    Maybe the heroes are being mind controlled to ignore the mind control?
    No…best not to go down that rabbit hole.