Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    She was brainwashed by the Master of the World in the last AF series ten or so years ago.
    In the end she killed her cousin and his wife who were guardians of her baby and went on the run.
    All these years later she’s still brainwashed but Mac has custody of her in a VR prison where she thinks she’s hiding from the law in a cabin.
    Heather broke the brainwashing in the mini, and went on the run.

I don't think she's still brainwashed so much as properly paranoid. The government took custody of her daughter away citing the dangerous nature of her work as Vindicator, and soon afterwards, her daughter was kidnapped as part of a villainous plot (yes, I know it was Heather, but the point still stands). So now Heather's using some common sense and protecting her daughter at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    It’s sad that the complete classic AF run still isn’t available as trades.
    This. Alpha Flight deserves Epic Collections…

I didn’t know about what happened with Heather and Mac.. I haven’t kept up with them since after the Seagle run (which I did enjoy).

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I'd buy this.

Peace

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I'd buy this.

Peace
    Unlike more recent releases (that seem to be starting with Vol. 1's), I'd love to see Alpha Flight Epics released out of order, starting with the uncollected material.

Of course Marvel would probably rather start with the Byrne stuff again... $$$
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I somehow gained access to a couple of classic single issues. Even if it wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea (I could have done with lesser magic stories), it was much better material than we have nowadays. In my opinion that is.

Tight storytelling, interesting, unique and diverse characters, great art.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Heather broke the brainwashing in the mini, and went on the run.

I don't think she's still brainwashed so much as properly paranoid. The government took custody of her daughter away citing the dangerous nature of her work as Vindicator, and soon afterwards, her daughter was kidnapped as part of a villainous plot (yes, I know it was Heather, but the point still stands). So now Heather's using some common sense and protecting her daughter at all costs.
    I would prefer that she had broken the brainwashing, but that wasn't how it read to me.

Ultimate Member

I would prefer that she had broken the brainwashing, but that wasn't how it read to me.
    In the series itself, she attacked The Master. Says broke brainwashing to me

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    I somehow gained access to a couple of classic single issues. Even if it wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea (I could have done with lesser magic stories), it was much better material than we have nowadays. In my opinion that is.

Tight storytelling, interesting, unique and diverse characters, great art.
    It was one of AF most distinguishing traits. Unlike, say, the Avengers, most of AF main threats came from ancient magic.

In the series itself, she attacked The Master. Says broke brainwashing to me
    Yeah, I didn't get that also from reading the mini-series finale. She found the strength to fight the Master's brainwashing when Claire was in danger, but, the way I saw it, Heathrer still carried within her a lot of the twisted hate the Master put in her. I guess it can be interpreted in both ways. She broke the brainwashing, however, it left deep scars in her, so much so, that she is far from the same person she was, and she still has a long way to go before she can be considered "free" from the Masters influence.

Peace

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Without pointing fingers, I feel like a lot of unfair criticism falls on the Pak/Ven Lente series. I understand not liking where they left Heather (I certainly didn't), but I thought the book was great up until the very end; and keep in mind Marvel pulled the rug out from under then at the last minute when they did a 180 and canceled the book after promoting it to an ongoing. No doubt that led to some last minute rewrites.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Without pointing fingers, I feel like a lot of unfair criticism falls on the Pak/Ven Lente series. I understand not liking where they left Heather (I certainly didn't), but I thought the book was great up until the very end; and keep in mind Marvel pulled the rug out from under then at the last minute when they did a 180 and canceled the book after promoting it to an ongoing. No doubt that led to some last minute rewrites.
    I liked quite a lot that series. Some story points I didn't like much, such as the Hulkification of Sasquatch, or the dark path they went with Purple Girl (even her not being a favorite of mne), but I still think it was the best revival AF has had since the end of volume 01 (and I enjoyed plenty many of the other revivals, just not as much as this one). Yes, Marvel did pull the rug out from under it (and us) with the sudden cancelation.

Peace

Ultimate Member

I like Alpha Flight okay myself, but I simply don't understand why they became supporting characters for a space agency. Has that been explained?

I mean, none of their characters are complimented by outer space. The twins and Mac are about the only ones who might be useful in space.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I liked quite a lot that series. Some story points I didn't like much, such as the Hulkification of Sasquatch, or the dark path they went with Purple Girl (even her not being a favorite of mne), but I still think it was the best revival AF has had since the end of volume 01 (and I enjoyed plenty many of the other revivals, just not as much as this one). Yes, Marvel did pull the rug out from under it (and us) with the sudden cancelation.

Peace
    If it helps at all, Purple Girl's more recent appearances, like in Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter, have moved her away from that dark path somewhat. My personal canon was that she was just as brainwashed by The Master of the World as everyone else.

I like Alpha Flight okay myself, but I simply don't understand why they became supporting characters for a space agency. Has that been explained?

I mean, none of their characters are complimented by outer space. The twins and Mac are about the only ones who might be useful in space.
    Aurora was on the Alpha Flight space team, if that helps.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Whatever happened to teen Guardian from Alpha Flight's second volume?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Whatever happened to teen Guardian from Alpha Flight's second volume?
    If I recall right, he turned out to be a clone of some kind and later ended up dying heroically.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

will there be an Avengers: Canada mini series...?