Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Are There Any Other Mario Puzo Novels On Par With The Godfather?

I don't see much of his other novels discussed much.

No there aren't.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I don't see much of his other novels discussed much.
    I'm not aware of any. I remember Coppola saying that The Godfather was just another book adaptation at the time the film got underway, and that he (Coppola, still early in his career at that point) would never have been allowed to direct it had the studio had any notion of how popular and prestigious the book would become.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm not aware of any. I remember Coppola saying that The Godfather was just another book adaptation at the time the film got underway, and that he (Coppola, still early in his career at that point) would never have been allowed to direct it had the studio had any notion of how popular and prestigious the book would become.
    Robert Evans was responsible for Puzo writing the novel. He had the movie rights before Puzo wrote it. Puzo had a 60 page treatment and Evans paid him to wrote the novel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!