Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I mean, just the entire premise to this thread is absurd. Things will go back to normal once the virus is eradicated, full stop. If, as it looks increasingly likely now, that it will just be a recurring feature that will never completely go away, then life can never go back to the way it was before the pandemic. Who cares whether or not you can go to the movies or baseball games when people are dying? It's not even as if these public gatherings we yearn for are actually accomplishing anything meaningful, people are just yearning for the freedom to consume again, and come on that's pathetic.
    Well, to be the flip side to this one-sided view... people who WORK in those industries care. They care a great deal. For example: theatre. Most of my friends are in theatre. Most of them trained for years, and paid their dues and were just getting somewhere good, and now they can't work. They can't do what they trained their whole life to do, and it's not pathetic that they ache to return to their life and their dreams. Financially most actors can't just 'wait out the storm'. Unlike footballers and sports stars who earn huge money, most actors don't make above minimum wage. They have no savings. They have no career. Let's not call them pathetic to add salt to the wound.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    To answer the OP, it might be instructive to look at say polio. After Salk and then Sabin developed their vaccines, and deployed them, (with Sabin's being the big savior---because it worked better and was oral, meaning anyone could take it without special training), it still took decades before most of the developed world had herd immunity. The developing world still sees cases to this day. But if you look at this case, it was sort of possible to beat these things, but it can take a long while, and it seems more likely to force Covid into being a minor irritant rather than the major killer it still is today in places.

However, if you want optimism, there is some reason for it. While the Delta variant seems to be much more infectious than the OG blend, it seems to burn itself out rather quickly, which is logical when you think about it; it infects at such a rapid pace that it soon burns out of it's ready made victim population as more and more people acquire natural immunity. That's what seems to be happening in countries like India, which of course has a third world medical system and third world distribution, it hit hard, very hard initially, but deaths and new cases seems to be hitting a steep drop. And with the exception of their vaccination program, which is terrible and has been since they bet early and wrong on the AZ vaccine. To read th news accounts, Australia is in a major pandemic crisis. But when you look at the numbers, they have hardly any deaths, and few hospitalizations. On the flip side of course, most of them are unvaccinated, and haven't gotten the thing naturally, so they have no inherent immunity and are vulnerable.

The difference between them and India comes down to two things it seems. The first is obvious. A first world medical system, along with first world infrastructure is better than the third world equivalent. The other is lockdowns. Australia has been serious with those, and India...wasn't. But you can't sustain those forever. So it's a mixed bag I'm afraid.
    India is the world's largest vaccine manufacturer and should easily have been able to supply enough doses for its people. The problem is that the government severely underestimated the spread of the virus and decided to export millions of doses early on in an attempt at vaccine diplomacy. By the time they realized their mistake and put a ban on vaccine exports, it was already too late, and reciprocal actions by other countries means that they are neither able to import many doses, nor the raw materials needed to ramp up production at home. Granted, containing the virus was always going to be difficult in a country of that size, but India is hardly a nation of unwashed country bumpkins who can't wipe their own asses without Western assistance, they have plenty of smart people and enough infrastructure and expertise to tackle the problem, where they failed was a lack of vision in their political leadership.

People were already bitching about lockdown fatigue barely a month in, which of course led to the rushed re-opening schedules that ended up prolonging the pandemic for far longer than it had to go on. Sure, everybody wants to enjoy life, but here in America we've made leisure such a central part of our identity that we apparently can't suffer any hardship for even the briefest moments without throwing a huge temper tantrum and making things worse for everyone in the process. Life sucks sometimes, if you have to stay home by yourself to keep people from dying you do it, the fact that we're even having a discussion about this is frankly embarrassing.
    Im just glad you set the example staying home 24 hours a day through covid and never leaving the house. Thank you for your service.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Yeah I've thankfully been vaxxed as well as my wife so we are good. And it was with the Pfizer shot. I didn't trust the J&J shot. So now I guess the question becomes whether we need booster shots or not. My parents I wish they would get the shot. But they're worried about the effects after a year. Plus there's talk that these were emergency approved and are more experimental and not federally approved by the FDA. I've heard next month they're supposed to approve these? But the anti-vaxxers, if you can't trust a medical professional who should know more about the shot than a news media person trying to spread panic then who do you trust?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Yeah I've thankfully been vaxxed as well as my wife so we are good. And it was with the Pfizer shot. I didn't trust the J&J shot. So now I guess the question becomes whether we need booster shots or not. My parents I wish they would get the shot. But they're worried about the effects after a year. Plus there's talk that these were emergency approved and are more experimental and not federally approved by the FDA. I've heard next month they're supposed to approve these? But the anti-vaxxers, if you can't trust a medical professional who should know more about the shot than a news media person trying to spread panic then who do you trust?
    My new moment of enjoyment is laughing at the people who are bitching about a yearly booster because a vaccine should get it right the first time and what is the point of a shot if you have to take it every year. Yet are fine with a yearly flu shot? Im all for a yearly shot. Does not bother me. Does not bother a lot of people.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I was feeling hopeful at the start of the year with the vaccine rollout. But with the pandemic still going on, I'm starting to feel discouraged. It's amazing how in 1918 when the flu epidemic broke out, the medicine wasn't what it is now along with the technology. There was a lot of deaths but we got through it. Now fast forward 100+ years technology and medicines are better and it feels like the medical officials and general public are running around like chickens with their head cut off. Not listening to medical advice, not getting vaxxed. We are 20 months into this pandemic and it feels like there is no end in sight. I long for the days of crowds being at sporting events and concerts. Scenes being filled out in shows/movies. Theaters being full for movies Parks being full with people. Will we get there?
    Of course, there are mitigating factors off-setting our improved medicine. In 1918, there wasn't a narcissist president telling everyone it was a hoax. While people still got frustrated with it in 1918, you didn't have the mentality that taking precautions during a pandemic was a violation of their rights. You didn't have the Internet/ mass media capacity to put out false information and politicize it nearly as much nor people without expertise with infectious diseases putting out political propaganda. Inferior knowledge can still lead to better results than superior knowledge drowned in stupidity and childishness.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Well, to be the flip side to this one-sided view... people who WORK in those industries care. They care a great deal. For example: theatre. Most of my friends are in theatre. Most of them trained for years, and paid their dues and were just getting somewhere good, and now they can't work. They can't do what they trained their whole life to do, and it's not pathetic that they ache to return to their life and their dreams. Financially most actors can't just 'wait out the storm'. Unlike footballers and sports stars who earn huge money, most actors don't make above minimum wage. They have no savings. They have no career. Let's not call them pathetic to add salt to the wound.
    This 100 percent! And it is not just the actors but the people who work behind the scenes, the stage hands the costume makers, the hair and make up people the ticket takers and ushers lighting techs etc...

And not just them. The people who work in restaurants where the people taking in shows go before and after, or the coffee house workers, and all the people in the food service profession. The hotel staff members, the housekeepers, the people who work at amusement parks. People who cant just stop working and still pay their bills and depend on pathetic people. I get keeping people safe. and bitching a month in was dumb. But it is over a year in. The vaccine is out there and not hard to get. So yea people have a right to want to not only have a job and get paid but also have a good time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My new moment of enjoyment is laughing at the people who are bitching about a yearly booster because a vaccine should get it right the first time and what is the point of a shot if you have to take it every year. Yet are fine with a yearly flu shot? Im all for a yearly shot. Does not bother me. Does not bother a lot of people.
    I wasn't bitching about having a yearly shot. All I said the question becomes whether one is needed or not. If one is needed then fine, I'll take it.

BANNED

Im just glad you set the example staying home 24 hours a day through covid and never leaving the house. Thank you for your service.
    It's really not that hard if you have friends who just HAD to go out and party and ended up infecting their entire family in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    How many struggling actors are there compared to the number of people who would get sick and possibly die if they reopen the theaters too early? The needs of the many outweigh those of the few.

I wasn't bitching about having a yearly shot. All I said the question becomes whether one is needed or not. If one is needed then fine, I'll take it.
    I know you were not. I didnt read it that way. I used your question about boosters to point out there are many who are.

How many struggling actors are there compared to the number of people who would get sick and possibly die if they reopen the theaters too early? The needs of the many outweigh those of the few.

Thats great on paper and we just love it when Spock says it. But tell that to a real world single mother who is out of the job and panics about rent and basic needs because the resturant she works at has been shot down for over a year.

Im not dependent on on these things for my check. But a lot are. it is cold as hell to just dismiss them.

BANNED

Thats great on paper and we just love it when Spock says it. But tell that to a real world single mother who is out of the job and panics about rent and basic needs because the resturant she works at has been shot down for over a year.

Im not dependent on on these things for my check. But a lot are. it is cold as hell to just dismiss them.
    Yeah and you know what’s colder? Dismissing all the people who died just because we had to keep the economy going. Putting frivolous pursuits over keeping people alive is the main reason we’re still in the mess when lots of other places have been fine for months. The more we indulge this kind of attitude the longer it will go on for.

Yeah and you know what’s colder? Dismissing all the people who died just because we had to keep the economy going. Putting frivolous pursuits over keeping people alive is the main reason we’re still in the mess when lots of other places have been fine for months. The more we indulge this kind of attitude the longer it will go on for.
    Im not worried. I have my shot. the only people who really should be concerned are the ones with out shots. At least that is what the science says. Opening before the shots I agree is dumb as Hell. But the shots are available wide spread. In my area no wait must walk in and ten minutes later you have your shot. The only reason people are not getting them in America (Barring medical reasons) are because they want to prove how Loyal they are to some crazy ego driven nut job and his bootlicker in congress who could care less if they live or die which is funny because the GOP always loves to brag about how he got the vaccine going in the first place yet it is not safe to take it is a hoax etc... We are told as long as we have the shots we can go out and enjoy our lives. So many people want to.

No need to debate any more. You said you piece I said mine. We would just be going back and forth and clogging the board with pointless posts.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-25-2021 at 07:53 AM.

This 100 percent! And it is not just the actors but the people who work behind the scenes, the stage hands the costume makers, the hair and make up people the ticket takers and ushers lighting techs etc...

And not just them. The people who work in restaurants where the people taking in shows go before and after, or the coffee house workers, and all the people in the food service profession. The hotel staff members, the housekeepers, the people who work at amusement parks. People who cant just stop working and still pay their bills and depend on pathetic people. I get keeping people safe. and bitching a month in was dumb. But it is over a year in. The vaccine is out there and not hard to get. So yea people have a right to want to not only have a job and get paid but also have a good time.
    Oh, so so SO many who's livelihoods are suffering. I just used actors as an example, but a great many in numerous industries are suffering the longer we don't open.

Not just dismiss them, call them pathetic too. For wanting to not have their entire career and years and years of work thrown down the drain. HOW PATHETIC, right? Really warms the cockles of your heart to see such blasé disdain for human existence.

You're justifying destroying people's livelihood and career with a Star Trek quote. To use your own phrase from earlier in this thread "come on, that's pathetic."

Ignoring the obvious double standards of sports events going ahead with audience vs theatre being told 'they can't risk it', or just generally the number of people in stores vs theatre, we can't just let an industry die because it takes work to save it. YES, we can keep the theatres closed (and other industries like theatre forced to suffer) if the government paid all employees their FULL wage. But no. So instead we... what? Throw around Star Trek cliches like children?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-25-2021 at 08:13 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member

It's really not that hard if you have friends who just HAD to go out and party and ended up infecting their entire family in the process.

I don't know, but quoting a line from a Star Trek movie doesn't strike me as being perhaps the best way to make your point...

Edit: I see I wasn't the only one who thought that quote was a bit much.
    Last edited by achilles; 07-25-2021 at 09:36 AM.