Default Black Widow versus Captain Marvel versus Wandavision

Which female Avenger had the best solo outing, Natasha, Carol, or Wanda?

Lightbulb

Wandavision, IMO. I know I enjoyed it the most.

I rank them -

1.) Wandavision
    2.) Captain Marvel
    3.) Black Window (it just didn't feel exciting or interesting to me compared with the others)
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Wanda Vision > Black Widow >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Captain Marvel

Carol's movie ranks among the bottom of the MCU to me. It's heavily carried by it's supporting cast.

I'm not sure it would be right to put WandaVision as a comparison to Widow and Marvel, as it had about 9 hours to tell it's story versus the about 2 the other two had. It would make more sense to compare it to the other shows, but that would defeat the purpose of the thread. I dunno.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Niffleheim

Best solo outing has yet to be achieved, but Black Widow was better than Captain Marvel. I agree about comparison and that I'll never compare streaming tv shows with movies released in cinemas and it wouldn't be fair because I didn't even love any of the D+ shows.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-26-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Didn't see WandaVision, but did really like both movies. May have had more affinity for Black Widow, but I had followed her story longer. They are kinda different movies; one is introducing us to a new character, the other is giving her a sendoff mixed with a long overdue solo story.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Wandavsion was a mini TV series. It is not a fair comparison to the others. people should not really compare movies and TV. TV is far more at an advantage because they have more time to cover more stories, plot lines and characters.

However Wandavsion by MCU Disney Standard is one of the far better things they have done because it was a tad a bit different than their status superhero quo.

As for Black Widow and Captain Marvel. I saw captain marvel once and I don't deeply remember much about it, but I do remember the movie just been very dull even the characters and the space battle CGI was just......blah. It was a film I knew I will see not again.

Neither movies have any impressive film making quality like watching the No Man's Land scene from Wonder Woman. But where Captain Marvel really suffers is in the characters. Captain Marvel did not have the characters to carry the film or make it watchable after one try. Carol and Monica Rambeau were just blah characters with barely any depth, likability or personality, unlike Natasha and Yelena so Black Widow wins on that.

Lastly Samuel L Jackson in Captain Marvel playing Nick Fury was his weakest performance on the character compared to his performances in Winter Solider and Avengers 1. it felt like he did not want to be there or was just there for a pay check. His performance was so phoned in. he could not even carry the film to make it memorable.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-26-2021 at 01:30 AM.

To be honest both movies have in common that the main purpose was introducing new characters - Captain Marvel and Yelena, respectively. Both movies had a fair amount of MCU lore and Easter eggs in them. Both movies were kind of pointless, not necessary. In all honesty, the way Disney has treated Marvel's two biggest female heroes is outrageous. Their movies were like afterthoughts!

Black Widow was a better movie for me and its due to a ton more buildup of the character through the MCU films. Even though the movie did nothing new for Natasha, and was more of a Yelena film tbh, it builds on and expands that part of the MCU. Captain Marvel felt jammed in just so she could show up in Endgame and provide a brief distraction for Thanos. Big whoop! Marvel really failed to justify the existence of that movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I was never going to enjoy the Captain Marvel movie, but even accounting for that I thought it was a bit lacking in something. Black Widow, on the other hand, I really enjoyed - by no means perfect, but I felt it had a lot more going for it than CM.

WandaVision I find difficult to compare to the movies. I found the first episodes tedious, but still liked Olsen and Bettany enough to keep watching. Probably my least favourite of the three Disney+ films, but certainly interesting. I'd say I liked it more than CM, but less than BW.

So for me, Black Widow wins (though who's solo outing it is remains debatable - Natasha and Yelena are equally favoured by the film, imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Wanda Vision > Black Widow >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Captain Marvel

Carol's movie ranks among the bottom of the MCU to me. It's heavily carried by it's supporting cast.
    That’s way nicer than I was gonna put it, so gonna “ditto” these sentiments.

For me it's Captain Marvel, Black Widow, and then Wandavision. Not a judgement on Black Widow, which I liked, just enjoyed CM a little more.
    Wandavision had that great first half with all the TV parodies, really fantastic and imaginative, it just lost me on the landing. Didn't dig the whole Agatha Harkness stuff.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Black Widow, then WandaVision, and last Captain Marvel.

While not added Jessica Jones is still my favorite that 1st season was great, 2nd season good, and 3rd was really good better than season 2 but not near season 3.

BANNED

Actually I would have said Captain Marvel first until Endgame. In hindsight it looks like CM was made just to show she could plow through a spaceship. We'll have to see if later movies provide more depth. (Keep in mind I haven't seen BW, so I'm not judging that against either of the other two. )

Mighty Member

yeah, Captain Marvel is a VERY distant third for me. it wasn't a terrible movie experience, I enjoyed it enough to finish the film. I felt that the script was pretty weak. since we already knew the Kree were evil... no real surprise or suspense at learning it... again.

for me, the fact that Carol Danvers was a static character with no real depth was frustrating. she also didn't even get a real story arc! what's the point of giving her amnesia if she turns out to be the exact same person? she didn't have any internal conflict to speak of. and her big confrontation with her so-called friends wasn't played as a dramatic moment, it was literally turned into a girl-power song-and-dance number. she basically mops the floor with all of her frenemies and doesn't even blink while doing it. since she was shown to be significantly more powerful than anybody that went up against her, it didn't seem like she even had to struggle. I can't even remember if she had a meaningful failure in the film. (LOL, the montage scenes don't count)

there was no doubt in my mind that she would just steamroll over all of her adversaries and I didn't have any real investment in the story. [which is why I tend to not read Superman stories. sure, I enjoyed the Golden Age Superman stories... but he was a different sort of character at that point]

and the combat/fighter pilot nerd in me kept saying... "damn it! Sabiha Goekcen was the first female combat pilot in 1937. she even has an international airport in Turkey named after her! how can you people not know this? what about the hundreds, if not thousands of Soviet female combat pilots that fought bravely during WW2 against the most formidably equipped and highly trained air force in the history of the world at that time? eh, I guess if you're not an American, you don't count in Hollywood!"

so, the aviation history nerd within me made it REALLY hard to love "Captain Marvel". but, I DID finish the movie. it was entertaining in a mass-produced, by-the-numbers, light beer sort of way.

I did like the supporting cast, though. Ben Mendelsohn was fun as Talos. I also found myself wishing that the movie had been about Maria Rambeau instead.