Default As God As My Witness I thought Turkeys Could Fly.

This of course is in reference to the classic Thanksgiving episode of WKRP in Cincinnati. That was such a great show and that episode was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. It is really is the best misunderstanding in all of tv history.

So what are some great misunderstandings in shows that you love. or even not so great ones that you found funny?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I thought you were talking about the Married With Children episode. Kelly befriended a turkey and everybody (Bundy and D'arcy alike) were trying to trick her into cooking it. In the end she threw it out of her upstairs window saying "Fly! Be free!" That of course killed the turkey and at the dinner (they finally cooked it) she said "Who knew turkeys couldn't fly?" and everyone (even the dog) raised their hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I thought you were talking about the Married With Children episode. Kelly befriended a turkey and everybody (Bundy and D'arcy alike) were trying to trick her into cooking it. In the end she threw it out of her upstairs window saying "Fly! Be free!" That of course killed the turkey and at the dinner (they finally cooked it) she said "Who knew turkeys couldn't fly?" and everyone (even the dog) raised their hand.
    I did remember that episode. it was pretty funny. But the title of the thread is indeed from Station Manager Arthur Carlson played by the funny Gordan Jump who later became the bored Maytag Repair man with nothing to do from the ads on tv. I met him at a Sears in the Mall by my house. he was doing his Maytag bit and signing photos. I did the quote to him. He looked less then impressed as he was grumpy as Hell snapping at people who tried to engage him in conversation while he signed a picture. Im guess it was because he was signing autographs in front of washers when he was on tv for all those years.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I did remember that episode. it was pretty funny. But the title of the thread is indeed from Station Manager Arthur Carlson played by the funny Gordan Jump who later became the bored Maytag Repair man with nothing to do from the ads on tv. I met him at a Sears in the Mall by my house. he was doing his Maytag bit and signing photos. I did the quote to him. He looked less then impressed as he was grumpy as Hell snapping at people who tried to engage him in conversation while he signed a picture. Im guess it was because he was signing autographs in front of washers when he was on tv for all those years.
    Boy. That's a buzz-kill for the nostalgia with which I opened this thread.

That was one of the great sitcom episodes of all time.

For those who didn't see the episiode, the bumbling yet well-intentioned, station manager wanted to take charge of the Thanksgiving promotion for the station and unbeknownst to anyone other than his right-hand man Herb, decided to give away free turkeys at the supermarket parking lot. Live turkeys..... from a helicopter. Which he dropped onto the shoppers in the parking lot. Needless to say, mayhem (and hilarity) ensued. (since this was a show about a radio station, we mostly just heard it described by their newsman covering the promotion in absolute horror, even making a Hindenburg blimp reference)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-26-2021 at 01:40 PM.

The TV show Newhart had quite a few misunderstandings, especially involving Larry, Darryl and Darryl. Mainly because Larry was the only one who talked. Also, in the early episodes the three of them were kind of presented as scary back woods guys and you didn't really know for sure if they were good or bad people at heart. Then this one episode Stephanie got lost in the forest and spent the night in their cabin - and it turned out they were ok guys!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The Clip:

Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Retired

As someone who is getting older every day, I can tell you that there's a point in life where grumpy becomes your default setting.

BANNED

Hmm. A couple episodes of Frasier come to mind. The ski lodge episode. The dinner party episode where Niles had a cockatoo stuck to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Hmm. A couple episodes of Frasier come to mind. The ski lodge episode. The dinner party episode where Niles had a cockatoo stuck to his head.
    I also remember one where Frasier and Niles were at their childhood home. Under the floorboards there was a skull. They think it is real get the police involed and it becomes a thing. Turns out it was a prop from their childhood production of Hamlet.

Thanks for posting the clip Deathstroke. I have issues posting videos for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This of course is in reference to the classic Thanksgiving episode of WKRP in Cincinnati. That was such a great show and that episode was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. It is really is the best misunderstanding in all of tv history.

So what are some great misunderstandings in shows that you love. or even not so great ones that you found funny?
    This is the second time in as many days I’ve been reminded of this ep.
    I was watching a show called “The History of Comedy” yesterday, and they touched on WKRP. They of course cited the turkey incident as being downright hilarious.

On topic,
    Would The Fugitive (TV show and or movie) count?
    The whole thing is one big misunderstanding. If Richard Kimball had just gotten to tell his side of things, and more importantly, someone to actually listen…

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Another good one from WKRP is when Carlson finds a packet of cocaine stashed away by one of the DJ's, mistakes it for foot powder and puts it in his shoe. When he finds out what it is, he panics... "I'm hooked! I got a monkey on my foot!"

I loved that show.