Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

For children, the reason to hate Barney was... well, he looked stupid and he sang about how much he loved you. It was the 90s... it was the decade where it was okay to be openly cynical and even homophobic. I'm not defending the behavior, just pointing out the attitude.

On a more sociological front, Barney represented a change in children's educational programming from being "educational AND entertaining" to "entertaining with education as a secondary concern". Before then, people who wanted to create kid's programs were often stuck with the quandary of having to teach audiences practical lessons and things they'll eventually need to understand when they go to school while balancing their creative ambitions. The standard bearer was, of course, "Sesame Street", which for nearly two decades, had proven it was possible to combine both thanks to intensive studying of young audiences and their mannerisms. Barney seemed to be the first, however, to disregard the practice of pleasing both masters and finally allowed wannabe thespians to do whatever they wished provided they did token lessons and stuff. Even so, Barney often serviced as a bad role model, where in spite of the fact he was supposed to be the childlike creature in theory, in execution he was the adult, so seeing Barney have kids disturb wildlife, take things that aren't theirs, and be disrespectful to privacy sent a poor message. Some people joke about moral guardians nowadays or hold them in contempt, but considering the popularity of Peppa Pig and how long freaking Caillou lasted in syndication on PBS, with both shows serving as extremely poor examples of behavior and guidance for impressionable youth, it's not too farfetched to stop and think about the consequences of a purple dumbass going "Super-Dee-Duper!"

As for the open hatred amongst older folks? I assume they took a look at Barney and went "What's so special?" and decided it was a very easy target, which given how litigious the company that owned the franchise was at parodies and satire, made people turn around and hate Barney even more given that they only seemed to care about a profit motive instead of anything else. I mean, anyone would want to protect their intellectual property, but it seemed like they specifically had it against anti-Barney humor.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Do people hate Barney? Is he still around? At-least the circle of people I know, it's Pepper Pig I hear them want to skewer with a pitchfork because their kids like her so much. That and... Pup Pawtrol???? Dogs in flying things. It's AWFUL!
    I refer to Paw Patrol & Puppy Dog Pals as "Junk Food TV"; shows that serve no value whatsoever besides selling merchandise. It's funny how in the 1970s and 1980s, the FCC (this is an American thing; I don't know what the UK had for terrestrial programming back in the day) really hated the rampant commercialization of animated programming on network television, so most shows did spots at the end of episodes discussing safety, environmentalism, or healthy lifestyles as a means to "be good", but cable never had such restrictions, so shows could do whatever.

They have the illusion of teaching lessons, but are very useless and just serve as a vessel to have young children force parents to buy crap.
    Last edited by GindyPosts; 07-27-2021 at 05:43 PM.

My niece loves PJ Masks.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm not going to lie I have fond memories of the Barney movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    A Gen X thing? I don't know. I could not understand the love of Power Rangers either. Uh, but it was aimed at kids and I just say to myself now I wasn't looking at them through a kids lense but an adults lense, albeit a young adults lense.
    Probably because it was the only live action show and unlike it's OTHER attempts in the USA it was not voice dubbing with low humor.

And they along with Barney and some PBS shows went after local kids to be on the show.

The very first set of kids from Barney are from Dallas/Fort Worth area. When some left Barney it was a news story.

Iesha (Yellow Ranger) and Tre (the lead from VR Troopers) was from Dallas. Iesha's replacement Tanya was doing Infomercials when she got hired.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Probably because it was the only live action show and unlike it's OTHER attempts in the USA it was not voice dubbing with low humor.

And they along with Barney and some PBS shows went after local kids to be on the show.

The very first set of kids from Barney are from Dallas/Fort Worth area. When some left Barney it was a news story.

Iesha (Yellow Ranger) and Tre (the lead from VR Troopers) was from Dallas. Iesha's replacement Tanya was doing Infomercials when she got hired.
    I prefer my T-Rex as fluffy and murder chicken

In all seriousness, it was the 90's and everything perceived to be too innocent and sacrosanct was slammed pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    Why did any of you even depict this innocent, friendly and harmless anthropomorphic dinosaur as some kind of a child-molesting pedophile or a sadistic, brutal/murderous and terrifying giant monster?
    Ah, another bizarre thread.

I never heard this before. I was almost thirty before I heard of Barney and I thought people were talking about Barney Rubble.

I know us grownups find the sing-song style annoying but the character wasn't designed for us but for preschoolers.
    Power with Girl is better.

As I didn’t know what a Barney the dinosaur looked like, I did a little search… and it seems obvious to me: Barney is so much hated because he is horribly ugly. Even Denver the last dinosaur is prettier…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hate Barney? Nahhhhhh! Not worth the time or effort, but, I felt he gave respectable dinosaurs a bad name by being so dopey looking.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I was at a party when I was a kid. There was someone in a Barney costume. He hit me and my friends. Is it unfair to hate a fictional character for something that an impersonator did? Sure. Is it true that me and my friends attacked first? Certainly. But who said hatred was rational?
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    Why did any of you even depict this innocent, friendly and harmless anthropomorphic dinosaur as some kind of a child-molesting pedophile or a sadistic, brutal/murderous and terrifying giant monster?
    I don't think it's a sign of hatred. Spongebob has creepypasta versions of himself too and everyone loves Spongebob.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I also think a lot of this stuff comes from the other kids at school. This is a drastic example, but I probably wouldn't have had any idea what sex was for years longer than I did because kids talk so much trash.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I also think a lot of this stuff comes from the other kids at school. This is a drastic example, but I probably wouldn't have had any idea what sex was for years longer than I did because kids talk so much trash.
    Most of the Barneyhate was a product of the 90s, shortly into the 2000s no one cared anymore.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

For Halloween I will dress up as Tyrannoraptor and make a threat: Why do many of you guys hate Cadillacs and Dinosaurs so much?

I blame it for leading to the conception of TV fatties.

TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage