Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why did many of you guys hate Barney the dinosaur so much?

Why did any of you even depict this innocent, friendly and harmless anthropomorphic dinosaur as some kind of a child-molesting pedophile or a sadistic, brutal/murderous and terrifying giant monster?
    Last edited by Tyrannoraptor; 07-26-2021 at 10:39 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    Why did any of you even depict this innocent (and harmless) anthropomorphic dinosaur as some kind of a child-molesting pedophile or a sadistic, brutal/murderous and terrifying giant monster?
    I don't hate the character, but he came along after I was already an adult, and I found his omnipresent saccharine nature annoying.

I could care less about Barney. he got on my nerves because my little sister watched him non stop but it made here happy and I could just go into the other room. But he was no where near as bad as that green Dino Baby Bop!

I dont know that many children would even know what a pedophile is let alone think Barney is one. And I never heard my sister or her friends say that Barny was going to eat them. I have no idea how your mind works to come up with these questions at times.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I didn't dislike Barney himself. I remember hating how cloying and overactingly bad some of the kids were, especially given that they were older than their demographic. I think cloying is the word I'm looking for there. He was like a meme before memes-- a representation of children's tv that annoyed adults, but there's far worse than Barney ever was.

Barney.jpg

I don't care about Barney. But I would love to see the post that brought this on.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I could care less about Barney. he got on my nerves because my little sister watched him non stop but it made here happy and I could just go into the other room. But he was no where near as bad as that green Dino Baby Bop!

I dont know that many children would even know what a pedophile is let alone think Barney is one. And I never heard my sister or her friends say that Barny was going to eat them. I have no idea how your mind works to come up with these questions at times.
    This pretty much describes it for most of us Barney haters. Overly annoying with a schtick that adults find no enjoyment in whatsoever. And Baby Bop is a truly horrible personality. Most adults who hate Barney have kids in the barney demographic target range. Like me. Those who don't can easily avoid him and may need to turn down the dislike.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I was okay w. Barney.
    My kids were of an age to watch his show, but they never had any interest in him.
    They did like Bananas In Pajamas, though.

I could actually do a spot on Barney imitation, and for a few years my answering machine message was:

We’re not home
    As you see
    Leave a message at the beep
    With your name & number
    We’ll get back to you
    We’ve got nothing else to do
    (Insert Barney laugh)

It was pretty popular w. my co-workers and even superiors at the Army base I was stationed at at the time.

BANNED

Every generation has its annoying kids shows or movies, just as every generation has its annoying boy band or the equivalent. When I was a kid it was New Kids on the Block, but you've had your Backstreet Boys, Justin Biebers, etc. I don't know what it is nowadays with the music industry being less important/central than it was in my day. K-Pop? That multi-colored hair-dyed gal?

My little brothers and sisters watched Barney, but I had to babysit them so it was that or the Lion King for the 400th time. I learned to ignore both and read (mostly comics). I liked He-Man, and rewatching that I can't argue it's superior. At least Barney wasn't trying to sell quite as many toys. Or at least, not as blatantly.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

A Gen X thing? I don't know. I could not understand the love of Power Rangers either. Uh, but it was aimed at kids and I just say to myself now I wasn't looking at them through a kids lense but an adults lense, albeit a young adults lense.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    A Gen X thing? I don't know. I could not understand the love of Power Rangers either. Uh, but it was aimed at kids and I just say to myself now I wasn't looking at them through a kids lense but an adults lense, albeit a young adults lense.
    I believe this had a lot to do with it.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Because we're not three yea...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    Why did any of you even depict this innocent, friendly and harmless anthropomorphic dinosaur as some kind of a child-molesting pedophile or a sadistic, brutal/murderous and terrifying giant monster?
    ...what the ****?!

I feel like it's more a case of being "cool". It was "cool" to hate him so everyone did.
    On the other side, it was wimpy, etc. to even be associated with him.

Do people hate Barney? Is he still around? At-least the circle of people I know, it's Pepper Pig I hear them want to skewer with a pitchfork because their kids like her so much. That and... Pup Pawtrol???? Dogs in flying things. It's AWFUL!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

punish bad content

Incredible Member

The pig is named Peppa, and the show is so popular that US parents are finding their toddlers speaking with a British accent.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ritish-accents
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org