Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Who is Lois Lane's mother?

We know almost nothing about her. I seem to remember her being at Lois & Clark's wedding, but she's been a non-entity for almost the entirety of her published history (that I've read anyway)

I assume she's dead and that's why she never appears, but she isn't even mentioned.

Who is this woman?

Incredible Member

I remember she was established as dead when Lois was a young kid in the New 52 (thus making Lois Lucy's parental replacement), and from what I hear she had that same role in Smallville. Nothing much to her other than "she was a great mother and then her death was my formative tragedy", which is a real shame, the property has a huge problem making mothers relevant figures already.

Hopefully Superman & Lois (with its wonderful focus on Martha's, Lara's, Lana's and sadly to a lesser degree Lois' relationships with their children) gives us something on that front.

Astonishing Member

Does she even have a name?

It'd be interesting, if they set about giving her a backstory, if she too was a journalist. I mean, I guess Lois' desire to become a journalist and expose the truth behind powerful men and institutions could be a rebellion against her father and her military upbringing, but maybe she wanted to follow in her mom's footsteps?

Depending on what sort of person she was, and what she did, it could add some additional depth to Sam Lane as well.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Apparently whoever Bendis decides she is.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Lois lane is lois lane's mother.don't believe me?
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Does she even have a name?
    Yeah, it is "Lois' mother". But really, anything is okay as long as it is not "Martha", lol.

She has always been "dead" as far as we have heard.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Her canon name is "Elinore" and I think she was around for a bit in Post-Crisis before she died circa-Infinite Crisis.

From what I remember she would often try and mediate between Sam and Lois but apparently cheated on Sam because of how cold and distant he often was.

Amazing Member

I think Lois' mother's name is Ella Lane, but not much is known about her.

Retired

Ella Lane appeared about as often as Sam Lane in the pre-Crisis comics--not a lot but enough that we knew some details about both of them. They both lived in Pittsdale and had a small farm--Pittsdale was near an air base.

Post-Crisis, she was still Ella but we didn't see as much of her as we saw of Sam Lane.

On LOIS & CLARK, Phyllis Coates--Lois Lane from THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, season 1--appears as Lois Lane's mom in the final episode of season 1, when Lois is going to marry Luthor. However Coates doesn't appear as the mother after that--but she is name checked in season 3, episode 4 when the Planet is raising money for the Coates Home For Children. Later that season, Beverly Garland makes her debut as Ellen Lane (split from Sam Lane), in episode 11. Ellen and Sam are featured some more times in season 3 and 4--six episodes in all for Garland.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    I remember she was established as dead when Lois was a young kid in the New 52 (thus making Lois Lucy's parental replacement), and from what I hear she had that same role in Smallville. Nothing much to her other than "she was a great mother and then her death was my formative tragedy", which is a real shame, the property has a huge problem making mothers relevant figures already.

Hopefully Superman & Lois (with its wonderful focus on Martha's, Lara's, Lana's and sadly to a lesser degree Lois' relationships with their children) gives us something on that front.
    This is not an accurate description of Superman and Lois at all.

Lois’s relationships with her boys, in particular with Jonathan, have been given plenty of depth and attention in recent episodes. I agree that in the beginning of the season she wasn’t given the same time with them but that completely changed as the season progressed.

The boys in ::general:: have not dominated the episodes as much as the season went on (which is a good thing imo) so there has been less of the teen stuff taking up the show but Lois’s relationships with her boys, especially, Jonathan have been given plenty of depth now.

Astonishing Member

Didn't she die of radiation poisoning or something post-crisis. I think it was by the same thing that made Lucy blind.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Didn't she die of radiation poisoning or something post-crisis. I think it was by the same thing that made Lucy blind.
    From what I remember, Lucy's blindness was caused by acid or something being thrown at her during a failed hijacking attempt on the flight on which she was working.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    This is not an accurate description of Superman and Lois at all.

Lois’s relationships with her boys, in particular with Jonathan, have been given plenty of depth and attention in recent episodes. I agree that in the beginning of the season she wasn’t given the same time with them but that completely changed as the season progressed.

The boys in ::general:: have not dominated the episodes as much as the season went on (which is a good thing imo) so there has been less of the teen stuff taking up the show but Lois’s relationships with her boys, especially, Jonathan have been given plenty of depth now.
    True. Focused too much on my old complains about the show without revising them.

Astonishing Member

In the Superman Wedding Album we saw that Ella was a control freak, trying to micromanage every detail of the shower, the ceremony, and the reception, generally driving Lois nuts. We also saw that she definitely had a mind of her own, standing up to (and getting the better of) Sam Lane when they argued. I suspect that Lois takes after Ella a lot more than she would like to admit.

SupermanWeddingAlbum_EllaLane.jpg

Retired

Why did they make Ella look so old? She could be Lois and Lucy's grandmother.