Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

besides that wedding arc, its generally written as if General Lane was a single parent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Why did they make Ella look so old? She could be Lois and Lucy's grandmother.
    same reason why Aunt May is Peter's aunt despite looking like 60-70 years older than him.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 07-26-2021 at 07:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Why did they make Ella look so old? She could be Lois and Lucy's grandmother.
    I suspect it was to make her appear more authoritarian, the queen of her household. She's clearly older than Martha Kent. who is meant to look "kindly" in contrast to Ella's "formidable".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Does she even have a name?

It'd be interesting, if they set about giving her a backstory, if she too was a journalist. I mean, I guess Lois' desire to become a journalist and expose the truth behind powerful men and institutions could be a rebellion against her father and her military upbringing, but maybe she wanted to follow in her mom's footsteps?

Depending on what sort of person she was, and what she did, it could add some additional depth to Sam Lane as well.
    It’s Elinore. She played more of a supporting part post-crisis and pre-flashpoint.

Supposedly post-flashpoint, she had Hispanic ethnicity. Making Lois and Lucy, like a quarter Latina.

Since the new 52 she’s been deAd
    Last edited by Will Evans; 07-27-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Retired

Elinore, sure, as a retcon. But it was Ella before that. And it was definitely Ellen on LOIS & CLARK--I rewatched all four seasons and did a post on that, not so long ago, where I tracked these kinds of things.

To me Elinore, Ella and Ellen are different names. My mother's name is Ellen. My father's brother's wife was named Elleanor--different names. Neither was ever called Ella. Elleanor could be shortened to Norie or Nora. I think the reason that LOIS & CLARK changed it to Ellen was because Ella sounds old fashioned.

If they wanted her to be Spanish, why not call her Elena?

Given Mort Weisinger had L.L. on the brain back when Ella was first introduced in the 1960s, maybe he thought eLLa would be a coy way of getting in his L.L. reference for the mother of the two L.L sisters.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I remember that early in the Post-Crisis reboot Lois' mother has an illness caused by working at one of Luthor's plants. Lex would provide a medicine he whipped up and eventually used this to force Lois into a relationship.

After that, I think she was just the nice parent to Sam's distant, strong-headed, Clark disliking jerk.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!