Fantastic Member

Default Ambassador of Peace

What's your thoughts on Wonder Woman becoming a Ambassador of Themyscira after winning the contest in George Perez run? So far I think Greg Rucka and Steve Orlando also written her as a ambassador on their runs.

Thought it was a cool development and niche for WW to fill in the DC Universe. Sadly not many writers outside of Rucka and Jimenez did much with it post-Perez.

Fit pretty well with Wonder Womans role as it was established back in the Golden Age and made sense for the era considering there wasn't a large scale war occurring at the time. It even fits to give her a UN connection since that had been a thing for over a decade in pre crisis.

That said as Gaius points out, it really wasn't used for much by most of the writers.

Perez played with it with Diana acting as an intermediary and traveling to spread her gospel in an effort to encourage peace and understanding and played the part of ambassador.

Loebs take was a space pirate captain who became a taco bell employee and spent pretty much the entire run divorced from the Amazons and her mission in one sense or another.

Byrnes pretty much just straight up made Wonder Woman a standard superhero. Replacing old characters with pallette swaps, getting her a job as a museum curator, and was focusing more on connecting her to the superhero elements of the DC universe.

Lukes run was pretty much all about the gods and defining Wonder Woman wholly around her religious inclinations and a role as the champion of Olympus

Jiminez went all in on establishing the embassy and pushing the Amazons as a more ambassadorial force and Diana as their connection to the outside world

And Rucka followed that with fleshing out a dedicated embassy cast.

It just kinda...Stopped being a thing after that. Between Amazons Attack dragging the amazons through the mud and Wonder Woman being branded a pariah by the world, it just wasn't feasible in post crisis.
    New 52....Was new 52.
    And Rebirth was more limited in its approach. In large part because the Amazons were back to the 'seperate from the outside world' approach, and because Wonder Womans connections in the broader world became alot more limited. Not helped with that whole 'any who leave the island can never return!' bit that limited things for a bit there. With Wonder Woman herself being more defined by sacrifice because suffering heroes were in vogue at the time with editorial.

So yeah, I love the ambassador of peace concept. Its just not something that saw much use really. Even Orlandos take of trying to establish that floating embassy in his run hasn't really taken off since he didn't really spend enough time with his take on the Amazons to give us a sense for how that would have worked.

As an Ambassador Wonder Woman had a foundation that created the Wonder Scouts for young girls, the Athenian Women Shelters for battered women, she wrote a book called "Reflection" detailing her philosophies and ideals, she toured the world doing speaking engagements, did several media blitzes, saved countless people from subjugation, brokered peace treaties between countries and literally stopped wars. Is there anything else she could have done? Did she do enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Fit pretty well with Wonder Womans role as it was established back in the Golden Age and made sense for the era considering there wasn't a large scale war occurring at the time. It even fits to give her a UN connection since that had been a thing for over a decade in pre crisis.

That said as Gaius points out, it really wasn't used for much by most of the writers.

Perez played with it with Diana acting as an intermediary and traveling to spread her gospel in an effort to encourage peace and understanding and played the part of ambassador.

Loebs take was a space pirate captain who became a taco bell employee and spent pretty much the entire run divorced from the Amazons and her mission in one sense or another.

Byrnes pretty much just straight up made Wonder Woman a standard superhero. Replacing old characters with pallette swaps, getting her a job as a museum curator, and was focusing more on connecting her to the superhero elements of the DC universe.

Lukes run was pretty much all about the gods and defining Wonder Woman wholly around her religious inclinations and a role as the champion of Olympus

Jiminez went all in on establishing the embassy and pushing the Amazons as a more ambassadorial force and Diana as their connection to the outside world

And Rucka followed that with fleshing out a dedicated embassy cast.

It just kinda...Stopped being a thing after that. Between Amazons Attack dragging the amazons through the mud and Wonder Woman being branded a pariah by the world, it just wasn't feasible in post crisis.
    New 52....Was new 52.
    And Rebirth was more limited in its approach. In large part because the Amazons were back to the 'seperate from the outside world' approach, and because Wonder Womans connections in the broader world became alot more limited. Not helped with that whole 'any who leave the island can never return!' bit that limited things for a bit there. With Wonder Woman herself being more defined by sacrifice because suffering heroes were in vogue at the time with editorial.

So yeah, I love the ambassador of peace concept. Its just not something that saw much use really. Even Orlandos take of trying to establish that floating embassy in his run hasn't really taken off since he didn't really spend enough time with his take on the Amazons to give us a sense for how that would have worked.
    Yeah, I thought the embassy cast would have made interesting supporting cast members, like the non-Lois and Jimmy parts of Metropolis or non-Gotham PD parts of Gotham for Supes and Bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I thought the embassy cast would have made interesting supporting cast members, like the non-Lois and Jimmy parts of Metropolis or non-Gotham PD parts of Gotham for Supes and Bats.
    Sadly this sort of thing happens alot with Wonder Woman. Most of her longer term writers have created wholly from cloth a new cast of characters for her to bounce off of from the Kapatelis family to the Sandsmark family to the embassy staff. But because her status quo often changes from writer to writer with her often being uprooted to a new city and a new role, the old cast gets discarded for the new.
    One could spend ages trying to just track all of Wonder Womans supporting characters.

Sadly this sort of thing happens alot with Wonder Woman. Most of her longer term writers have created wholly from cloth a new cast of characters for her to bounce off of from the Kapatelis family to the Sandsmark family to the embassy staff. But because her status quo often changes from writer to writer with her often being uprooted to a new city and a new role, the old cast gets discarded for the new.
    One could spend ages trying to just track all of Wonder Womans supporting characters.
    That's actually not a bad thing at all. The only person I wanna see travel with Diana everywhere is Etta Candy. I also like the idea of her maybe having a much older amazon that left paradise island long before her and that has now aged to look 80 years old, but can still fight like she's 30. But otherwise, I think the perfect set up is to have Diana moving from place to place transforming a part of the world wherever she goes. She doesn't need a GCPD or a Daily planet. But I do think all the people Diana has touched in her life should build a commune around an abandoned university where they serve as women shelters, self defense training and testground for alternative intelectual and spiritual lifestyles.

As for the question of this thread, many people have probably had to endure my rants so I'll keep it short. The most interesting thing for me about Diana isn't the idea that she comes here to pacify the world, it's that she comes here to challenge people. My favourite example of Diana transforming the world was back in the golden age when she was picking up a group of college students (holliday girls) and training them mentally, intelectually and spiritually. She took them on adventures where they themselves became a powerful heroic independent squad. Diana the teacher/ gym trainer is barely seen, but it's the perfect set up for seeing her change the world in every storyarc. Ambassador of Peace just feels fake to me in everyway. Specially when she makes speeches that don't actually do anything for systemic issues, and when she attends fancy events dressed in designer clothes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That's actually not a bad thing at all. The only person I wanna see travel with Diana everywhere is Etta Candy. I also like the idea of her maybe having a much older amazon that left paradise island long before her and that has now aged to look 80 years old, but can still fight like she's 30. But otherwise, I think the perfect set up is to have Diana moving from place to place transforming a part of the world wherever she goes. She doesn't need a GCPD or a Daily planet. But I do think all the people Diana has touched in her life should build a commune around an abandoned university where they serve as women shelters, self defense training and testground for alternative intelectual and spiritual lifestyles.

As for the question of this thread, many people have probably had to endure my rants so I'll keep it short. The most interesting thing for me about Diana isn't the idea that she comes here to pacify the world, it's that she comes here to challenge people. My favourite example of Diana transforming the world was back in the golden age when she was picking up a group of college students (holliday girls) and training them mentally, intelectually and spiritually. She took them on adventures where they themselves became a powerful heroic independent squad. Diana the teacher/ gym trainer is barely seen, but it's the perfect set up for seeing her change the world in every storyarc. Ambassador of Peace just feels fake to me in everyway. Specially when she makes speeches that don't actually do anything for systemic issues, and when she attends fancy events dressed in designer clothes.
    You prefer Wonder Woman to stay out of politics?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Adding to this, pacifying people and challenging them are not mutually exclusive. And taking college kids on adventures is hardly changing the world or even improving their lives all that much.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-26-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Yeah, lot of interesting characters lost along the way.

I was hoping Rucka would bring back some his cast during his second run (besides Ferdinand obviously) but like you said, his second run was more limited and going for a different vibe than his first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Not at all. I want her to take on these issues through individual people, which is how we can see her making a real change.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Adding to this, pacifying people and challenging them are not mutually exclusive. And taking college kids on adventures is hardly changing the world or even improving their lives all that much.
    That's not all I'm proposing. But I said what I wanted to say so I'll give others space to talk about their own interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That's not all I'm proposing. But I said what I wanted to say so I'll give others space to talk about their own interests.
    Fair enough.

Anyway, I liked how Perez, Jiminez and Rucka handled Diana being an ambassador.

I love this aspect of the character and I wish it would get more focus especially in adaptations.