Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    What exactly are your "problems" with their costumes? As far as I'm concerned they're perfectly fine as they are.
    They look really dated, while at the same time not having the JSA's perk of looking "retro" by design, nor the "classical" appeal of some silver agers.

I'm not talking about any radical redesign, btw, just some updating.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    They look really dated, while at the same time not having the JSA's perk of looking "retro" by design, nor the "classical" appeal of some silver agers.

I'm not talking about any radical redesign, btw, just some updating.
    I'm not sure how they could update Power Girl's outfit without losing what makes it work.

I think Alex Ross's pulpier redesign of Obsidian for Kingdom Come was a little too far, but perhaps a mix of the original with that could look good.

I preferred when Power Girl had the scoop neck rather than the boob window - I feel she's become too defined by that feature for the past couple decades.(even with the attempted redesigns) Lose the golden rope for her cape too, then that's it. I don't think it needs more updating then that. Also, it leaves it open for the artist to decide how low the neckline goes. With a boob window, it's just a boob window, no matter what.

Obsidian is fine as he is. (although, if those ... baubles on his outfit were toned down or gone, I guess I wouldn't mind that)

It's interesting that since Roy's resurrection, he's used Hal as his touchstone for how to control the ring, then he runs right into one of Hal's old foes, then uses a Hal construct to defeat him. Aside from Hal's several resurrections and experience with the black lantern ring, I'm looking forward to Roy talking to Ollie about their respective resurrections.

Ollie: Y'know, back in my day, when I was resurrected, I had to go to all the way to heaven to retrieve my soul. You kids and your fancy resurrection jewelry...

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm not sure how they could update Power Girl's outfit without losing what makes it work. .
    Just google "Power Girl redesign" (you may want to turn on safe search to avoid the more... "mature oriented" results). There are a lot of good fan redesigns for Karen out there.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I enjoyed the issue, particularly the Alan and Obsidian bits, and having the shade show up (as well as Gentlemen Jim in a panel)

What exactly are Obsidian's powers? I've always thought he was an interesting character, but I've never followed Infinity inc.

I myself...ahem....had no problem with the cleavage shot. Powergirl was a god sent to me at age fourteen.

Just google "Power Girl redesign" (you may want to turn on safe search to avoid the more... "mature oriented" results). There are a lot of good fan redesigns for Karen out there.

Gotta admit, this works much better than I would have expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Gotta admit, this works much better than I would have expected.
    For most characters, it does. Some talented fellas out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Obsidian and PG could really use new costumes. But ut's nice to have them back.
    I never thought the Infinity Inc would ever reassemble.
    Power Girl's is a bit too "cheesecake," but simply doing away with the boob window would fix that.

Meanwhile, don't see a problem with Obsidian's at all. It's unique and in some ways retro without exactly being retro (and frankly, asking for a revamped costume for him without wanting one for Alan is lost on me). And I've always found that most times someone tries to update a classic costume because it feels a bit outdated usually results in a static, boring return (see Sunfire in X-Men currently).

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

These are pretty cool.

4477670-3655999810-68dbe.jpg

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

PG's costume is fine. DC just needs to tell artists to stop being so goddamn pervy when drawing her. Cutouts aren't all that uncommon at least where I live and I know plenty of women who dress in revealing clothes because that's just what they like.

The costume isn't a problem. It's the way artists draw her (poses, angles) that's the issue and that's going to happen no matter what costume she's wearing unless editors tell them to knock it off.

I don't want to hear a single thing about practical when the character can shrug off an ocean liner hitting her in the face. Supergirl fights crime in a skirt and long shirt. Diana in a bodice and skirt. At that level, frankly, costumes are pretty much cosmetic.

I'm tired of the debate, to be honest. It feels like a bunch of very repressed people trying to tell women what's acceptable for them to wear. I realize she's fictional and drawn for the male gaze at times (a trait she shares with every female character) but I routinely see more revealing clothing just going to a mall or populated area. Just what women wear out on any given day because that's what they wanted to wear. Some covered head to toe and some not. More power to them.

I don't want to hear the "she'd look dumb wearing it at a funeral" bit because literally everyone looks stupid in costume at a funeral. Unless they're changing into ceremonial clothing, Supes and Batman showing up in their costumes is like going to your best mate's funeral in your Target uniform because that's your work attire. You don't do that because it's disrespectful, but they do because they're fictional constructs-- but they're men so we don't think about shirtless Hawkman in his harness paying his respects. It's always PG, or Black Canary or something.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-28-2021 at 04:17 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    These are pretty cool.

The second one is perfection. The problem isn't the the boob window per se, but her costume looks outdated as a whole. The girl is still wearing pirate boots in 2021.
    These fan arts get how the character can still look like herself with a few much needed tweaks.

Obsidian's costume is just terrible, IMO. I don't think it's ever really looked good, but they could at least change the belt and underwear combo.

Incredible Member

I love how big the DCU feels again. This series seems to be channeling the spirit of the best things of the early to mid 00s DCU which I love.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    These are pretty cool.

I really dig this one. It instantly says Power Girl, is something any actress (and the stuntwoman doubling her) would actually feel comfortable wearing in live action, and yet still has plenty of sex appeal.

I wouldn't want PG's classic costume to go anywhere, but I have no problem with this being an alt outfit that she wears, particularly if it makes her more palatable for a live-action adaptation.

Unless they have big plans for Hammond in this new role, it's kindof a bummer. I mean, imagine if Harvey Dent showed up instead with his face healed just like that. If one of Hal's biggest foes is going to be taken off the table in another title, I'd hope it was for a good reason. Otherwise, why not just use any rando?