Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Infinite Frontier #3 spoilers and discussion

Hey I’m sorry for doing this so early today but I have got a busy schedule today, I am taking the second part of my State bar exam and wanted to discuss comics with some energy before my test....such as life is but who cares because we got more multiverse mysteries today. Honestly I’m doing the main thing I’ve done in the past, spoiler boxes and brief conversation before hand of the story.

So I will say that this issue is a bit messy, but not in a bad way. See now that we are three issues into a six issue mini we are finally starting to see characters and plot points converge together as characters start chasing down leads and we see some people deal with problems from the last two issues. We even get a main mystery that is pretty much solved if you put the pieces together and one that is semi-solved but still raises a lot of questions. In fact the only thing we really don’t know is Darkseid himself, he is still the spirit hanging over this whole story whose influence we definitely feel but have no idea what it is he actually wants or is planning. In all honesty this issue I would dedicate to Director Bones and the DEO as they are pretty heavily involved in the plot overall, in fact I would argue that if we didn’t know Darkseid and Psycho Pirate were up to something I would say Bones would possibly be the main lead, though I am hesitant to say antagonist. Yeah it’s a good issue as we begin to learn more and truly begin to question what is happening, I just wish we got more xermanico art then we get.

But one final thing before I get into character/story spoilers, and that’s if you are a JSA fan....you are really going to like this issue probably. Maybe. It’s hard to tell with some people. Alright well you’ve been warned I’m going into spoilers, I’ll try to keep the story in order but it’s hard.

Alan Scott and Obsidian
    spoilers:
    Like last issue said they are kicking @$$, they are tracking down old JSA villains to see who has Jade and the JSA. Luckily old Shade, without a butt whooping but instead a glass of tea, tells them not to look for JSA villains but Infinity Inc. villains. This leads them to DEO now HQ in Command D from Final Crisis (I know weird flex of having Darkseid old house right). And it is here where we get a big mystery solved.

X-tract is working for Bones kidnapping people and locking them up in cells to put on Ships that can travel through the Bleed of the multiverse. Yeah so the one who sent X-tract after Roy in issue one was Bones, and I guess Thomas Wayne escaped from the DEO. Meaning I guess the DEO is capturing malcontents of the multiverse and forcing them out of Earth-0. Unfortunately we don’t get to learn more as Agent Chase, who unexplainedly survived last issue shoots Alan and Obsidian with a big gun knocking them out.
    end of spoilers

President Superman, Flashpoint Batman, and Justice Incarnate
    spoilers:
    We pick up with Calvin and Thomas on Kingdom Come earth and as it turns out Magog isn’t evil again, he’s just sick of the multiverse. Apparently the multiverse has caused some disruptions on Earth-22, as it turns out the multiverse isn’t in so much harmony as previously thought. But after some brief fighting and the Incarnate coming to save the day they try to scan the wreckage of Thomas ship to find out where to go...and it’s Earth-23, President Superman’s earth. So Calvin goes off to figure out what’s going on.
    end of spoilers

Barry Allen and Psycho Pirate
    spoilers:
    Honestly not too much happens here, Psycho has Barry trapped in an illusion while running on a power treadmill looking for something or someone. It’s not really clear, all we know is that Psycho says it will save the multiverse, which coming from him cannot be trusted.
    end of spoilers

Roy Harper, a surprise Green Lantern villain, and the JSA (it’s complicated).
    spoilers:
    Alright so Roy manages to bust out of Darkseid’s control/stop being a zombie. Unfortunately it’s trapped him in space and he’s worried about using the ring again so he figures to wait for the inevitable hero or alien to pick him up. And you know what he is right because he is picked up by...the DEO in one of their flying spaceships.

He meets Agent Hammond who talks to him to for a while before the inevitable betrayal and the reveal that Agent Hammond is actually Hector Hammond who has a brand new regular body thanks to multiverse shenanigans. But he still has his mental powers and guess what he’s here to capture Roy for the DEO as an expert on handling lanterns. So we got some green lantern lore for people who want that.

Anyway they decide to jump into the Bleed between Multiverses when they are attacked....by the JSA? Yeah it appears the missing JSA members are inside the bleed between multiverse dimensions and have been fighting with the DEO about certain ethics concerning kidnapping and multiverse policing. Anyway they get on the ship and apparently are about to attack Roy because he used his ring so he looks like a zombie from another world. That be the end of the issue.
    end of spoilers

So what did we learn? spoilers:
    Director Bones is up to some shady stuff.
    end of spoilers

Overall it’s a good issue, we learn more about the story that’s taking place and if you pay clear attention to story plot point you can pretty much figure out what is going on. Only question is really what Darkseid is playing at, not to mention I guess we got to keep an eye on old Bones here. But for a mystery it is nice to see story beats solved without having to wait for the final issue. Now just to see how that ending plays out and where all are heroes end up after this.
    Last edited by sifighter; 07-27-2021 at 05:58 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

The way I read the scene with Jade and the JSA was that they been being held captive on DEO ship (to power it judging from the Obsidian and GL part?) but they managed to take advantage of the attack on the ship by an unknown party to break out.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    The way I read the scene with Jade and the JSA was that they been being held captive on DEO ship (to power it judging from the Obsidian and GL part?) but they managed to take advantage of the attack on the ship by an unknown party to break out.
    See I read that scene as the JSA were the ones attacking from the bleed, especially given how they were talking about multiverse worlds. But I suppose that it could also be them escaping while someone else is attacking. I guess we will need next issue for context.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    See I read that scene as the JSA were the ones attacking from the bleed, especially given how they were talking about multiverse worlds. But I suppose that it could also be them escaping while someone else is attacking. I guess we will need next issue for context.
    I also read it as the JSA members attacking from the Bleed but Artemisboy's reading could definitely work.

Lots of action and I'm glad Williamson isn't holding back on plot progression. Looooots of different artists at work but I guess it wasn't too distracting.

Obsidian and PG could really use new costumes. But ut's nice to have them back.
    I never thought the Infinity Inc would ever reassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Ironically to take on an organization run by their old teammate
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    That's how I read it, too. Was the person who attacked the ship Barry (while being manipulated by PP)? This freed the JSA from their prison/power cells.

Makes me wonder then, will we end up with THREE JSA related books when IF is done? Justice Society, Infinity Inc, and Stargirl?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

We'll be lucky if we get 1.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    We'll be lucky if we get 1.
    I mean Stargirl is already announced from the one-shot and given Infinite Frontiers story so far if end of 2021 sometime 2022 doesn’t have a JSA series of some kind announced I will be shocked. I mean half of this series at this point might as well be a JSA book considering how much we follow Alan, the JSA related characters and finally the team appearing in this issue.
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean Stargirl is already announced from the one-shot and given Infinite Frontiers story so far if end of 2021 sometime 2022 doesn’t have a JSA series of some kind announced I will be shocked. I mean half of this series at this point might as well be a JSA book considering how much we follow Alan, the JSA related characters and finally the team appearing in this issue.
    Yeah, I've come to view this series as being what Doomsday Clock was theoretically supposed to do: lead into ongoings/spinoffs.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Haven't read it yet, but I know who is on the last page reveal and I'm glad she's back. Hopefully DC doesn't mangle her.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Obsidian and PG could really use new costumes.
    Agreed, but for them to be reestablished, they need to be in their most classic, recognizable form. It's my hope that once those from Infinity INC have a firmer foot on the DCU, their looks will be updated. (Doesn't help that all of PG's alternate looks have been bad and dated)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

But it took so long for PG to finally get her old costume back. It's her most iconic look.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Agreed, but for them to be reestablished, they need to be in their most classic, recognizable form. It's my hope that once those from Infinity INC have a firmer foot on the DCU, their looks will be updated. (Doesn't help that all of PG's alternate looks have been bad and dated)
    What exactly are your "problems" with their costumes? As far as I'm concerned they're perfectly fine as they are.