Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    PG's costume is fine. DC just needs to tell artists to stop being so goddamn pervy when drawing her. Cutouts aren't all that uncommon at least where I live and I know plenty of women who dress in revealing clothes because that's just what they like.

The costume isn't a problem. It's the way artists draw her (poses, angles) that's the issue and that's going to happen no matter what costume she's wearing unless editors tell them to knock it off.

I don't want to hear a single thing about practical when the character can shrug off an ocean liner hitting her in the face. Supergirl fights crime in a skirt and long shirt. Diana in a bodice and skirt. At that level, frankly, costumes are pretty much cosmetic.

I'm tired of the debate, to be honest. It feels like a bunch of very repressed people trying to tell women what's acceptable for them to wear. I realize she's fictional and drawn for the male gaze at times (a trait she shares with every female character) but I routinely see more revealing clothing just going to a mall or populated area. Just what women wear out on any given day because that's what they wanted to wear. Some covered head to toe and some not. More power to them.

I don't want to hear the "she'd look dumb wearing it at a funeral" bit because literally everyone looks stupid in costume at a funeral. Unless they're changing into ceremonial clothing, Supes and Batman showing up in their costumes is like going to your best mate's funeral in your Target uniform because that's your work attire. You don't do that because it's disrespectful, but they do because they're fictional constructs-- but they're men so we don't think about shirtless Hawkman in his harness paying his respects. It's always PG, or Black Canary or something.
    Amen. My thoughts exactly. When ever this redesign stuff come up and it involves covering up her breasts and legs it reeks of sex-negative attitude saying women should cover up.

Incredible Member

Don't get rid of the most defining characteristic of a character, essentially.

Astonishing Member

Some of these resets are personality or looks wise and not just heel turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Amen. My thoughts exactly. When ever this redesign stuff come up and it involves covering up her breasts and legs it reeks of sex-negative attitude saying women should cover up.
    Same. And, in a world of historically skin-tight costumes that look as if they were painted onto naked bodies, I don't personally get the "cheesecake" complaint. Then again, I'm old so I cede this point, and really almost every point, to the next generation. Truly.

As time moves on, so do basic values and they almost always evolve to make for a better world. The elder generation to which I belong is almost always hanging on to quickly antiquating ideas about what's okay and what's not, and treating young people's ideas of such things, even young people in their 20s and 30s, dismissively.

So, to complain or argue or stand my ground about such things ("cheesecake," etc.) would be to join those parents that think their children's music and morals are stupid, naive, garbage, or even dangerous. As it was with so many fifty-somethings, I had my turn--even GenX resulted in progress on many important fronts--and I'm not going to be part of the problem like every generation before me.

"We too shall become solemn, fat and Ubu-like and shall publish extremely classical books which will probably lead to our becoming mayors of small towns where, when we become academicians, the firemen will present us with Sevres vases, while they present their moustaches on velvet cushions to our children. And another lot of young people will appear, and consider us completely out of date, and they will write ballads to express their loathing of us, and there is no reasons why this should ever end." - Alfred Jarry

But I really came here to read and talk about Infinity Inc. and the JSA and was disappointed that this thread turned out to be one about boob windows.

Also, I'm pretty sure that this is the first time that the original Infinity Inc. has been in continuity since COIE. For that reason and many others, I am just loving the new, everything-happened DC.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I really dig this one. It instantly says Power Girl, is something any actress (and the stuntwoman doubling her) would actually feel comfortable wearing in live action, and yet still has plenty of sex appeal.

I wouldn't want PG's classic costume to go anywhere, but I have no problem with this being an alt outfit that she wears, particularly if it makes her more palatable for a live-action adaptation.
    Of the redesigns, I enjoy that one too as an alternate but I don't want her to ditch the old costume. If this is what she wears to ceremonial situations, I'm all for it.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The second one is perfection. The problem isn't the the boob window per se, but her costume looks outdated as a whole. The girl is still wearing pirate boots in 2021.
    These fan arts get how the character can still look like herself with a few much needed tweaks.

Obsidian's costume is just terrible, IMO. I don't think it's ever really looked good, but they could at least change the belt and underwear combo.
    Amanda Conner already updated her boots:

I think Obsidian is fine with just some cosmetic changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I really dig this one. It instantly says Power Girl, is something any actress (and the stuntwoman doubling her) would actually feel comfortable wearing in live action, and yet still has plenty of sex appeal.

I wouldn't want PG's classic costume to go anywhere, but I have no problem with this being an alt outfit that she wears, particularly if it makes her more palatable for a live-action adaptation.
    This reminds me of all the obsession over "PANTS!" with Supergirl's season 5 costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Amanda Conner already updated her boots:

I think Obsidian is fine with just some cosmetic changes.

This reminds me of all the obsession over "PANTS!" with Supergirl's season 5 costume.
    The Conner redesign is pitch-perfect.

The whole Supergirl pants thing makes sense particularly when you consider it was filmed in Toronto and the actress was likely freezing all the time.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The Conner redesign is pitch-perfect.
    Same .
    The whole Supergirl pants thing makes sense particularly when you consider it was filmed in Toronto and the actress was likely freezing all the time.
    Oh no, I totally get that (I think even Melissa Benoist liked the old costume in-spite of that which is why she was fine wearing it for so long). I only take issue when it seems like some kind of movement to force Supergirl to wear pants instead of a skirt in general.

About Chase... Was she rescued by X-Track, maybe?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    About Chase... Was she rescued by X-Track, maybe?
    Possibly, it seems as though she has the ability to teleport given her capture of Thomas Wayne and how Hammond was going to call her from the Bleed.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Same .
    Oh no, I totally get that (I think even Melissa Benoist liked the old costume in-spite of that which is why she was fine wearing it for so long). I only take issue when it seems like some kind of movement to force Supergirl to wear pants instead of a skirt in general.
    Someone (was it actually you? Not sure) recently said that it's not about the design, but the artists. I'm sure there wouldn't have been as many people happy to see her get pants on the show if there hadn't been so many artists in the comics drawing her skirt flying up all the time, flashing underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Don't get rid of the most defining characteristic of a character, essentially.
    Or maybe that shouldn't be her most defining characteristic?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Someone (was it actually you? Not sure) recently said that it's not about the design, but the artists. I'm sure there wouldn't have been as many people happy to see her get pants on the show if there hadn't been so many artists in the comics drawing her skirt flying up all the time, flashing underwear.

The way artists would hike her skirt up (as well as the fetishizing of Mary Marvel when she broke bad) is exactly the kind of **** I'm talking about. Goddamn awful.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah, but...like her skirt costume on the show was pretty tasteful though.

I think you're thinking of her late Post-Crisis costume with the super short skirt (although I think she also wore actual shorts with that one, but I'm not sure if that was always consistent). When they adapted the show look for the comics I don't think there were any panty shots.
    Well, at this point it kind of is for better or worse, just like Catwoman wearing skintight black leather.

I have to admit, it does sound a bit weird when bunch of men talk about sex positive female costumes.