Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #776 - Discussion/Spoiler

I love Jill Thompson's art.

This issue was pure filler, though. (unless the elves come back later)

For filler, it was alright.

It was basically Diana solving the problem of a military Fae ruler taking over Elfhame because Janus killed his Queen. I thought it was weird Diana threatened to kill him when she knew the whole situation was a misunderstanding (since Janus looks like Diana).

She solves it by defeating him and his army in combat (with Siggy who showed up thanks to Odin's magic) and the Fae Queen's sister takes the crown instead. She met the Queen's sister earlier in issue and...did she not tell Diana she was the slain-Queen's sister? I guess she didn't trust Diana either because she looks like Janus, but the fact Diana didn't kill her on sight should have been telling enough.

Ratatoskr turning into a human was pretty funny. Also it turns out the purple Valkyrie lasso is the old-school "compels the victim to obey the commands of the owner" lasso, and it talks (creepy). Which kind-of makes me realize if Diana had known that, she could have just used it last issue to get the Grave-Keeper to let go of the Gods...

So the new Fae-Queen agrees to send Diana back to Earth, and back to Earth she goes...but she doesn't have a body so how that works is something I hope they explain in the next issue.

Also Thompson's Deadman was the creepiest Deadman I have ever seen. Ugh *shivers*

-

Also the back-up had Circe (she did indeed enchant the pages) in it and was basically just revealing that Hippolyta was the one who ordered the pages to be destroyed in the first place.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-27-2021 at 05:56 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Reading this I really feel like this was meant to be a longer arc of the story than what we got. Like, we get a montage scene, allusions to adventures and people being met. I wouldn't be surprised if this had originally been planned as a two or three issue arc that editorial condensed to one.

With the creative teams heavy use of lore in the previous issues I was honestly expecting us to see some familiar faces in Elfhame. But from what I can tell, every single one of those fae was original to this issue with no golden age counterparts to be found.

Overall a good issue. Though I feel more could have been done.

--

As for the backup, I can't say I was really impressed with this issue of it. It pushes the plot along, but it just didn't do anything for me

It really was filler. I expected a little more from Elfhame. While I like the more fast paced style of Cloonrad's writing, I thought this was a bit too fast. Turning it into a longer arc would have certaintly helped.

Siggy explaining that he had to search for the needle in the haystack to find Diana was my favourite moment. Of course Odin came up with that.

The lasso gives bad, bad vibes. I wonder why the Valkyries had the lasso, and who it truly belongs to... was it left there by Dr. Psycho?

Thompson's Deadman is creepy for sure. I love him.

Cloonan's art I didn't expect but it was nice too. Her Ratatoskr was so not amused.

--

It feel as if the backup is treading ground. The revelations were so unsurprising that they didn't feel like revelations at all. I'd like to know what the fuss is all about now. Just show the contents of the pages already.

Incredible Member

Loved Jill Thompson's painting! Becky Cloonan's last two pages were lovely and her Ratatoskr was just the cutest!

For a filler issue, though, I liked Elfhame. We got a rouge in ex-King Gwyn and his twin brother...whatever the name was haha. The world was quite filled with different animals and faery people and just a feast for the eyes.

We got Faerie magick, Odin magick, and the sinister and bad vibe emitting purple lasso which continues to be suspect haha.

The back up wasn't my favorite but I continue to love Ganucheau's artwork so it's all good for me.

Also, Diana, Ratatoskr and Siggy definitely landed in the past.

Incredible Member

I liked this ish better than the riddles of the last one. In a way, both were "filler", but I enjoyed this realm and their inhabitants better. And I did like the art a lot.

So according to you the last two pages are drawn by Cloonan? Why will it be?
    On twitter I read that Conrad said they had finished with this number a week ago, will things have changed at the last minute and Thompson was not available?
    Anyway, I loved the story, it is told like a fairy tale. I like the dynamics and the variation between the issues without losing cohesion.

As much as I'm enjoying this run as a whole and the team on it, I am getting tired of the constant state of "this feels like filler to me, I just want the story to actually get were it needs to go now".

I'm definitely looking out for that lasso next issue, lol.

Art was fine, just not my style.

I didn't really care much for Siggy being there, I'm not always fan of there being more then one tag along and Siggy being their just didn't feel needed.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I'm not considering this or last issue filler but steps along the journey back to earth. There was a magic talk with Janus, the return of Siggy, a demonstration of the lavender lasso's power with sinister implications, some stuff happened that moved the ball forward. Maybe it was a mistake to stay in Asgard so much longer than the other realms in the sphere of the gods, so it's a pacing problem, however I enjoyed the adventure.

The latest installment reminded me of "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and Ratatosk of Reepicheep because of the loss of his tail and Eustace becoming a dragon the way Ratatosk became a boy. I love that story and this was all very Narnian.

Diana's getup even grew on me in the end thanks to Jill Thompson's art. Was never really a fan of hers before but she finally won me over.

Like Jeff Bezos' rocket ship the tower holding Diana looked like a giant penis and Diana's current one fell thru it's roof, it seemed like serendipity. If Siggy is to remain her love interest he has to get a function beyond following Diana around and being her companion. I still don't trust him, he's too good to be true and I miss Steve.

Some things I didn't like were the magic flowers completely incapacitating Diana at first, then she was able to walk thru a field of them without being overcome and eventually began utilizing them herself. Did she build up an immunity, what about Siggy? It was a plot hole I could drive a truck thru, along with the convenient sister to the Queen, Gwyn's about face and Diana's casual threat after he already relented. Yeah, this could have used one more issue to flesh everything out, I didn't want to get back to the new status quo this quick.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

So....did Siggy and Diana hook up again? Enquiring minds want to know, or was it just a one night stand?

I will be curious where the whole Sigfried thing winds up going as the October solicit has Steve on it

Last thing I want is romantic drama in a Wonder Woman book. And the reason why I enjoyed Siggy and Diana was because it was short and sweet. I don't want a long term relationship with him. Just not that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    So....did Siggy and Diana hook up again? Enquiring minds want to know, or was it just a one night stand?
    They hugged and talked dirty this issue.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Last thing I want is romantic drama in a Wonder Woman book. And the reason why I enjoyed Siggy and Diana was because it was short and sweet. I don't want a long term relationship with him. Just not that interesting.
    See I like Steve Trevor but he kind of has the whole will they/won't they problem that Batman and Catwoman have. Dating on and off over and over again, never really going anywhere because its apparently not allowed to go anywhere. At this point she might as well date Sigfried for a little while just to try something new.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Sigfried could be our Talia for Diana.