iMan 42s

Default Web of Shadows allegedly found in Spider-man 3

Stumbled across this on Youtube today but within the Spider-man 3 debug menu was elements of what would go into 2008's Spider-man: Web of Shadows.

- Classic style Spider-man
    - Classic style Black suit
    - A mission or two is playable with Venom being used in place of the symbiotes
    - Hellicarrier is able to be spawned in

Interestingly if this is to be believed they'd been working on Web of Shadows using Spider-man 3 as a base. The PS2, PSP, and WII version would have a system where you could swap suits on the fly which is something WOS ultimately utilized. If legitimate it would mean that it was very much a springboard for the game they wanted to make and kind of cool to see how elements essentially prototyped in SM3 ended up in the final product.

An aside here while potentially meant for WOS it was said to be cut because it was meant for SM3. Iron man was conceptualized for the Raimi universe but was cut from the game due to legal issues with Marvel. No idea where he would've appeared had he made it into the final game but I felt it was definitely weird enough to be brought up. Another option is that a rumored Iron man game was in development at roughly the same time and when SEGA got the license the game was canned. This could also be one of if not the earliest look at MCU Iron man so maybe this is what Tom Cruise was to be wearing I honestly don't know.
    Raimi Iron man.jpg
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

This is some really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. We really need more Spider-Man game threads. It's interesting to look at this medium - like for example, Spider-Man on Genesis was so popular it supposedly saved a licensing deal between Marvel and Sega:

According to developer Randel B. Reiss, this version was a huge commercial success: two thirds of all Mega Drive owners at the time also bought the game, and single-handedly convinced Marvel Comics not to cancel the licensing deal they had with Sega. - at least that's what Wikipedia Says.

That's an...interesting Iron Man design.

There's a few screens out there of the cancelled Iron Man game, it had the early 2000s comics armor. I believe it was being made by the same people making the X3 movie tie-in game but the comic based Iron Man game didn't make it after X3 took up most of their time and came and went.

I think the hero designs in Web of Shadows all lean pretty close to comic suits at the time so I'd have to agree that this would have had to be for SM3 then because the design is just so radically different and weird- the SM3 game had a lot of weird villain redesigns. I remember seeing the Iron Man image going around a few months ago on Twitter. There's something real fascinating about seeing stuff like this buried in a game.

Side note, I really liked the Mysterio design in the SM2 movie game. That was a really fun take on Mysterio.

I saw this video months ago but didn't consider sharing.

I see some of Spider-Man 3 assets when I play Web of Shadows, so I guess this helped conserve budget.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    There's a few screens out there of the cancelled Iron Man game, it had the early 2000s comics armor. I believe it was being made by the same people making the X3 movie tie-in game but the comic based Iron Man game didn't make it after X3 took up most of their time and came and went.

I think the hero designs in Web of Shadows all lean pretty close to comic suits at the time so I'd have to agree that this would have had to be for SM3 then because the design is just so radically different and weird- the SM3 game had a lot of weird villain redesigns. I remember seeing the Iron Man image going around a few months ago on Twitter. There's something real fascinating about seeing stuff like this buried in a game.

Side note, I really liked the Mysterio design in the SM2 movie game. That was a really fun take on Mysterio.
    SM2 Mysterio is the best boss fight in a Spider-Man game .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    SM2 Mysterio is the best boss fight in a Spider-Man game .
    My brother taught me to jump forward in the convenience store, no other command is necessary to win.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

iMan 42s

In looking for more regarding this apparently we do have another game hiding a Spidey thing. Spider-man 4's prototype literally ended up becoming the game, Prototype 2. Or at the very least assets from it did. Not sure what but I have a feeling the New York they made for Spider-man 4 would end up becoming Prototype's.

Just something about these two videogame tie-ins. I just love how they have this weird history to them. But what's funnier to me is that I remeber a ton of people saying that Prototype would be a great basis for a Venom game. Well they'd been half right because it almost was.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    In looking for more regarding this apparently we do have another game hiding a Spidey thing. Spider-man 4's prototype literally ended up becoming the game, Prototype 2. Or at the very least assets from it did. Not sure what but I have a feeling the New York they made for Spider-man 4 would end up becoming Prototype's.

Just something about these two videogame tie-ins. I just love how they have this weird history to them. But what's funnier to me is that I remeber a ton of people saying that Prototype would be a great basis for a Venom game. Well they'd been half right because it almost was.
    I thought you were talking about the Wii gameplay of Spider-Man 4 (that version was developed by Eurocom and used assets from the Wii version of Spider-Man 3) until I did a google search of Radical Entertainment's Spider-Man 4. I wonder if someone will look into the coding of Prototype 2 (or the first Prototype game from 2009) to see if anything leftover from Spider-Man 4 is in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

That's a good point. I saw another video on YouTube of the SM3 Web of Shadows prototype with a mission where Spidey is literally driving a bus full of children. We're talking the free-roam NY with car driving controls lol, that was surreal to see.

I saw a video on Twitter last year of the SM4 Radical prototype, from an animator that worked on it as like part of a resume- it was an animation sequence with Spidey on street level reacting to like a giant octopus tentacle robot. It makes me wonder if maybe Carolyn Trainer Ock was being planned to appear in the SM4 game as one of the side-villains that'd often be included, that'd be a fun idea if you ask me. If one really wanted to get deep into it you could hold similar to her comic backstory being a fan of Octavius and do fun stuff with it regarding reflecting on Peter and Otto's relationship in the movie.

Prototype was almost a Venom game? Now I'm vaguely recalling I may have heard a Venom game rumored back in the day... that for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    That's a good point. I saw another video on YouTube of the SM3 Web of Shadows prototype with a mission where Spidey is literally driving a bus full of children. We're talking the free-roam NY with car driving controls lol, that was surreal to see.
    Man, I forgot that video is a thing.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE