Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    But no one throws a FIT when they get a book.

We got Three Stooges, John Carter and others with books-no one is having a stroke about those books existing.

Yet here it's World War 3. Like a crime has been committed if a book NOT starring Batman and his entitled friends are not the leads.
    I mean, I don't know what you want me to say- those are coming from different companies, with different sales expectations and different audiences they are trying to grasp. I know I'm a big John Carter stuff fan, and I've met more than one person that's worked on those comics and been just fully, blown away happy to get 5,000 sales. Either of the big two would cancel a book that low unless its an intentional push, and DC does intentional pushes much less than Marvel.

And to be clear, I'm just saying I personally don't think JSA will be a seller because I doubt most of the buyers at my LCS could name a JSA member, and if they could it would generally be Power Girl. Most of the Power Girl fans I've met (myself included) didn't even know she was connected to the JSA until they started asking about the possibility of her coming back and all this JSA discussion started up.

Quote Originally Posted by Forlorn View Post
    . . . And to be clear, I'm just saying I personally don't think JSA will be a seller because I doubt most of the buyers at my LCS could name a JSA member, and if they could it would generally be Power Girl. Most of the Power Girl fans I've met (myself included) didn't even know she was connected to the JSA until they started asking about the possibility of her coming back and all this JSA discussion started up.
    Perhaps you need to find a new comic book shop?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forlorn View Post
    And to be clear, I'm just saying I personally don't think JSA will be a seller because I doubt most of the buyers at my LCS could name a JSA member, and if they could it would generally be Power Girl. Most of the Power Girl fans I've met (myself included) didn't even know she was connected to the JSA until they started asking about the possibility of her coming back and all this JSA discussion started up.
    I would think most comics readers would be able to name at least Jay Garrick, Alan Scott and Dr Fate.

Astonishing Member

Even if I did wrote the greatest John Stewart OGN book for the Black Label line and it sells, it wouldn't benefit the Earth 0 version and his monthly.

Why waste time on a brand or versions of characters that most writers and/or even fans don't seem to want.

Also some fans do just drop off to never come back or just lose interest. The end.

I think the young adult/kids line is still doing well enough, if not like massive sales hits, otherwise they wouldn't keep releasing them and doing new books.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Perhaps you need to find a new comic book shop?
    Not many options- only one in 75 miles, and the people who run it are hardcore Marvel people. Most of the people going in are very new, and mostly buying indie stuff that neither me or the owners have heard of. Thinking about it now, I probably shouldn't have said anything, that shop is weird, they had to stop selling manga because they couldn't move enough copies to justify it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    If they don't sell then it is.
    The thing is comic sales fluctuate (outside of maybe Batman) depending on a number of different things. For example, Barry's book was only selling 29-31k the last several months under Williamson prior to the pandemic. The same book also sold around 44+k for a long while as well.

The sale numbers here for the book actually increased from where the book was at in the months before despite them continuing with the legacy numbering and having an unknown writer to take over.

Astonishing Member

By how much?

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    The thing is comic sales fluctuate (outside of maybe Batman) depending on a number of different things. For example, Barry's book was only selling 29-31k the last several months under Williamson prior to the pandemic. The same book also sold around 44+k for a long while as well.

The sale numbers here for the book actually increased from where the book was at in the months before despite them continuing with the legacy numbering and having an unknown writer to take over.
    There seems to be an increase in general when compared to pre-Covid era. Books with certain ranking would sell close to 20k, now they are selling close to 30k. I'm not sure if more people started buying comics now or maybe DC moving away from Diamond helped.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    There seems to be an increase in general when compared to pre-Covid era. Books with certain ranking would sell close to 20k, now they are selling close to 30k.
    While sales might have gotten a bump in general, it seems like not every book has benefited?

A quick look seemingly shows Action was selling 36k compared to the current 31k, Superman has gone from 41k to 36k, and both Wonder Woman and Justice League appear to be near the same. On the Marvel side, Carol's book appears to have dropped by about 9k now. So some books have benefited where others have not?

Incredible Member

Those sales are a complete car crash. Outside a superb debut from A Nice House on the Lake and the always very solid to excellent Batman books this is a yet another complete mess from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    While sales might have gotten a bump in general, it seems like not every book has benefited?

A quick look seemingly shows Action was selling 36k compared to the current 31k, Superman has gone from 41k to 36k, and both Wonder Woman and Justice League appear to be near the same. On the Marvel side, Carol's book appears to have dropped by about 9k now. So some books have benefited where others have not?
    Yes, some things aren't catching up, but thats always the case.

Incredible Member

Wally is now the Flash. Cyborg is off Justice League and back in New Teen titans and is cancelled probably. There's a new Blue Beetle and Booster Gold book. John Stewart has replaced Cyborg on JL and in their marketing. A few requests from social media has come true. Obviously DC are making their publishing decisions based on what people are requesting on the internet. Maybe those decisions were a mistake. I think that they may have pulled the plug on Wally being the Flash and Cyborg being off on the JL too quickly. Black Lightning had never had any type of a solo push after his show aired on CW network for 3 seasons. And nothing for the Flash's Vibe. DC publishing state had been affected by funding cuts from their parent company Warner Bros. yet they are still deciding to publish obscure characters D-list like Mr. Miracle instead of Cyborg and Black Lightning. Both of which had significant exposure form movies and tv. Their decisions are very puzzling. The current sales from DC show that these recent decisions may have been a mistake. You can't base your publishing decisions on requests from social media because comic book readers for the most part are not on the internet. Only about 10% of all comic book readers use twitter. Maybe this is one of the reasons that digital comics have not taken off?

Astonishing Member

It's pandering to the vocal minority. Also Wally stuff and bringing back Flash family tanked Barry sales.

Gtg.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    But no one throws a FIT when they get a book.

We got Three Stooges, John Carter and others with books-no one is having a stroke about those books existing.

Yet here it's World War 3. Like a crime has been committed if a book NOT starring Batman and his entitled friends are not the leads.
    What are you talking about? Complaints about there being too many Batbooks / not enough variety in the DC line are plentiful. And do people really "throw fits" and it's "World War 3" if a character they don't follow or care about gets a book? You seem to live in a made-up world ;-)