Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

I'm not sure if I'd agree 100% on that since Johns at some point started writing Sinestro more as a lead than Hal thou I think it never really got as bad we have currently.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I admit I had expected this was going to be a more traditional John Stewart solo from the outset.
    That's what I wanted along with better art...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Last two issues came out during or after Future State months, it was made clear that it is happening in its own bubble so it probably killed the interest a bit.

She was confirmed dead only last issue I think so effect of such decisions wouldn't really impact sales of first three issues. I'd also guess that there is a big overlap between Arisia's and Hal's fans so likely many of them didn't pick up this book in the first place.
    I didn't know that the list the poster was compiling was just about sales of the first three issues. The Arisia death is a complaint I've heard more than just a few times from readers, so I brought it up because of that. I don't know if her particular death will affect sales further. It would seem like it might not, because she hasn't been that important of a character for quite some time, but I can imagine the wholesale wiping out of some established characters off panel could cause some people who were already feeling leery about the book to leave. Unless there's some intentional loophole to where those characters are really still alive and what was presented in the comic was a fake out (I doubt it), there's some implied disrespect from the writer there, and he had already spewed a bunch of venom when he made his comments about Hal Jordan.

When you're pushing characters people don't care about (Far Sector GL and Teen Lantern), and a character (John Stewart) who really had no build up or hype behind him when he took over the Green Lantern title, you really can't afford to be pissing off huge portions of the established readership like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Far Sector was a critical darling but not a commercial one. Didn’t sell well at all as far as I’m aware, which is why it’s so weird they 1. Brought her into main day present continuity and 2. Seem to be making her the main Lantern of the franchise since she’s supposed to end up on the JL with Jon, Jace, Yara, and the rest
    At a certain point I feel like I have to ask, strength of character and uniqueness aside, do we really need to keep bringing more human GL's into the spotlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's something I'd actually agree with people when they used to say that DC was giving Hal a different treatment compared to the others, because when they'd advertise a GL book starring Hal, that ended up precisely being a GL book starring Hal, not a "Well, it has Hal, but also a few others for half the story while he doesn't have a ring on" kind of book. The fact that this is happening under a different management now isn't good news either.
    Exactly. One thing about the Geoff Johns era, those guys knew how to push a character. And they weren't afraid to push said character. Unfortunately, the management here kinda seems like they are, which is why you see all of these mandates happening in this book.

Far Sector was a critical darling but not a commercial one. Didn’t sell well at all as far as I’m aware, which is why it’s so weird they 1. Brought her into main day present continuity and 2. Seem to be making her the main Lantern of the franchise since she’s supposed to end up on the JL with Jon, Jace, Yara, and the rest
    It's beyond me on why she's so heavily pushed if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    . . . It's beyond me on why she's so heavily pushed if that's the case.
    Well, she's not a heterosexual male, . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Goblin View Post
    I didn't know that the list the poster was compiling was just about sales of the first three issues. The Arisia death is a complaint I've heard more than just a few times from readers, so I brought it up because of that. I don't know if her particular death will affect sales further. It would seem like it might not, because she hasn't been that important of a character for quite some time, but I can imagine the wholesale wiping out of some established characters off panel could cause some people who were already feeling leery about the book to leave. Unless there's some intentional loophole to where those characters are really still alive and what was presented in the comic was a fake out (I doubt it), there's some implied disrespect from the writer there, and he had already spewed a bunch of venom when he made his comments about Hal Jordan.

When you're pushing characters people don't care about (Far Sector GL and Teen Lantern), and a character (John Stewart) who really had no build up or hype behind him when he took over the Green Lantern title, you really can't afford to be pissing off huge portions of the established readership like that.
    Readers have been complaining about Arisia's treatment for years. That didn't stop most from dropping a title.

That whole thing on what the writer has said was way before the book was even getting released. They already made their decision to not get the relaunch before it was released in the first place.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 07-30-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At a certain point I feel like I have to ask, strength of character and uniqueness aside, do we really need to keep bringing more human GL's into the spotlight?
    The GLs are pretty much the poster boys & girls for how the “anyone can wear the mask” crap can go wrong. Now every single ethnic/religious/sexual orientation group has to be represented, and we’ve got more GLs than we know what to do with. Thorne has kind of dealt with this by taking the rings away from all but two, Jo and Hal, but that’s just going to piss off the fanbases of the rest which may be why the sales are dropping so bad. They should’ve kept the GLs to five at most, Jess is too popular to lose, but Simon, Jo, and frankly Kyle if I’m being real, all are redundant and don’t bring enough to keep around at this point.

I still am enjoying Thorne’s run, but with sales falling like this I don’t know how long he’ll get, especially since DC doesn’t lock in creators for a number of issues anymore. You can get dropped any time for any reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Exactly. One thing about the Geoff Johns era, those guys knew how to push a character. And they weren't afraid to push said character. Unfortunately, the management here kinda seems like they are, which is why you see all of these mandates happening in this book.

I’m guessing for the same reason they’re pushing Jace Fox over Luke as Batman. They’re blank slates you can pretty much mold into whatever you want without stepping on anyones toes.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I’m guessing for the same reason they’re pushing Jace Fox over Luke as Batman. They’re blank slates you can pretty much mold into whatever you want without stepping on anyones toes.
    I see. I was disappointed they would rather create a new character than to use Luke Fox as Batman. I thought that move they made was just silly imo.

Incredible Member

They should’ve kept the GLs to five at most, Jess is too popular to lose, but Simon, Jo, and frankly Kyle if I’m being real, all are redundant and don’t bring enough to keep around at this point.
    Kyle pulled quite a decent following in the most recent instagram/twitter/dcu online polls, so much so, it got all the way to the semifinals (beating other more recognizable characters such as Zatanna) and got pretty close to beating Robins.

Ultimate Member

there's some implied disrespect from the writer there, and he had already spewed a bunch of venom when he made his comments about Hal Jordan.
    The writer stated his opinion on Hal LONG before he wrote a thing for DC. Opinions various folks have shared themselves. Opinions that have been tossed on John Stewart as well.

DC (and Marvel) have had ZERO issues hiring writers who do NOT care for certain characters.
    We had 5 years of that mess in Black Panther. Heck Panther has had it TWICE. Priest didn't care for Black Panther. Coates the same thing. Priest's run does show his dislike for T'Challa. Coates does.
    Gail Simone nor Ethan cared for Firestorm. Yet you couldn't tell during their run. However once they left-folks showed they did not care for Jason Rusch. Including Ronnie's creator.
    Monica (Spectrum) was the leader of the Avengers until a new writer-who did NOT care for her sent her packing. She has YET to recover-40 years later.
    New 52 Static says HI. As does Cyborg, Titans, Young Justice, Tim Drake and Cassandra Cain.
    Even McDuffie said he did NOT care for Luke Cage and we KNOW he did not care for Rocket Racer or Night Thrasher.
    As Redjack pointed out once hired to do the book that personal opinion stays out of the book.

The trades comes out in October and is among the top 250 DC trades on Amazon. Thorne's GL comes out 3 days before Christmas.
    Look over at Marvel-Riri, Moon Girl and Shuri are being invested in. Be it movie, tv show, trades or novels. They are FAR ahead of Nubia, Naomi & Jo.
    Look at comics overall-there is more investment in black female lead or colead books.
    I suspect there is more stuff.
    In terms of business I can understand. However what got sold to fans (mainly John) is NOT what we are getting. Something that would work better as two books.

You could easily get 2 12 issue series out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Kyle pulled quite a decent following in the most recent instagram/twitter/dcu online polls, so much so, it got all the way to the semifinals (beating other more recognizable characters such as Zatanna) and got pretty close to beating Robins.
    Hm forgot about that, maybe I’m underestimating Kyle’s fanbase then. He just hasn’t shown up in outside media since STAS back in the 90s, so I figured his fanbase had fallen off hard.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Hm forgot about that, maybe I’m underestimating Kyle’s fanbase then. He just hasn’t shown up in outside media since STAS back in the 90s, so I figured his fanbase had fallen off hard.
    That is absolutely true, Kyle has remained outside media and probably lost a lot of traction in the last 20 years, but clearly, there is a sizeable fanbase ready for a comeback.

He still had a solid fanbase in the New 52, but his fanbase started declining a bit after Robert Venditti replaced Geoff Johns. I think some of this probably had to do with him not being a Green Lantern anymore, which went around for years. It was only until Robert Venditti made him a Green Lantern again in the Rebirth relaunch. And then you have creations of new human Green Lanterns. So you didn't hear as much from his fans since then.

But the polls he shown over that competition was impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The writer stated his opinion on Hal LONG before he wrote a thing for DC. Opinions various folks have shared themselves. Opinions that have been tossed on John Stewart as well.

DC (and Marvel) have had ZERO issues hiring writers who do NOT care for certain characters.
    We had 5 years of that mess in Black Panther. Heck Panther has had it TWICE. Priest didn't care for Black Panther. Coates the same thing. Priest's run does show his dislike for T'Challa. Coates does.
    Gail Simone nor Ethan cared for Firestorm. Yet you couldn't tell during their run. However once they left-folks showed they did not care for Jason Rusch. Including Ronnie's creator.
    Monica (Spectrum) was the leader of the Avengers until a new writer-who did NOT care for her sent her packing. She has YET to recover-40 years later.
    New 52 Static says HI. As does Cyborg, Titans, Young Justice, Tim Drake and Cassandra Cain.
    Even McDuffie said he did NOT care for Luke Cage and we KNOW he did not care for Rocket Racer or Night Thrasher.
    As Redjack pointed out once hired to do the book that personal opinion stays out of the book.

The trades comes out in October and is among the top 250 DC trades on Amazon. Thorne's GL comes out 3 days before Christmas.
    Look over at Marvel-Riri, Moon Girl and Shuri are being invested in. Be it movie, tv show, trades or novels. They are FAR ahead of Nubia, Naomi & Jo.
    Look at comics overall-there is more investment in black female lead or colead books.
    I suspect there is more stuff.
    In terms of business I can understand. However what got sold to fans (mainly John) is NOT what we are getting. Something that would work better as two books.

You could easily get 2 12 issue series out of this.
    Actions pretty much speaks louder than words. And that's something I had to learn the hard way when picking up these books.

I'm honestly shocked about Gail Simone and EVS views over Jason Rusch, because I felt they did the character justice (unlike how badly he was treated in Brightest Day) by making him equal to Ronnie.

So yea, it's hard to see a writer's personal views get translated over into writing a character.

Right, it isn't a true John Stewart solo as it was originally advertised.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 07-30-2021 at 12:58 PM.