Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    2019 June had 4 weeks, 2021 June had 5 weeks.
    Shouldn't that therefore be a 20% increase? Because it ended up being much more than that. This was a 54% increase

Infinite Frontier as a lineup really is flopping as a whole. Outside of the Batline it’s just not generating much excitement, which is a shame because it’s the best overall DC has been since the start of Rebirth. They must be planning a linewide relaunch after the upcoming event at this point.

As for Superman it’s disappointing but not surprising. Overall the Superbooks are the best they’ve been as a whole since Busiek and Johns were on the main books, but DC should not have saddled Johnson with writing filler in the main Superman book for three months, since more people read that than his excellent Action work. All I can hope is that he gets to keep doing what he wants for as long as the sales hold steady since it’s the most exciting Action has been since Pak.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sales might be (slightly) up but it would be better if units could be compared. Half of DC's floppies in June '21 were priced higher than $3.99. In June '19 only 7 of 57 floppies were priced higher than $3.99.

June '21 is also a bit of an outlier. Two Batman/Fortnite Issues and Nice House On The Lake #1 were released.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Shouldn't that therefore be a 20% increase? Because it ended up being much more than that. This was a 54% increase
    Well yeah, there is still a big increase, but not as big as it looks

Infinite Frontier as a lineup really is flopping as a whole. Outside of the Batline it’s just not generating much excitement, which is a shame because it’s the best overall DC has been since the start of Rebirth.
    Thats really low bar to clear

So June was the most successful month in comic sales since 1997 if I read that correctly? That feels unexpected. I don't know what to make of it since it feels like such a random jump up even compared to where comics were before the pandemic.

DC's books are being propped up by the Batman books it seems, but their overall numbers look better than I would have guessed given all the earlier concern. I am not the biggest fan of Tynion's writing but him getting 130K an issue is super impressive. It kind of sucks for me but I at least understand why DC is just letting Tynion drive so much of their direction now. Also Batman Fortnite Zero Point selling so well is still weird since I don't feel like I see anyone ever talk about it anywhere, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    So June was the most successful month in comic sales since 1997 if I read that correctly? That feels unexpected. I don't know what to make of it since it feels like such a random jump up even compared to where comics were before the pandemic.

DC's books are being propped up by the Batman books it seems, but their overall numbers look better than I would have guessed given all the earlier concern. I am not the biggest fan of Tynion's writing but him getting 130K an issue is super impressive. It kind of sucks for me but I at least understand why DC is just letting Tynion drive so much of their direction now. Also Batman Fortnite Zero Point selling so well is still weird since I don't feel like I see anyone ever talk about it anywhere, lol.
    That’s because the people buying it aren’t “Wednesday Warriors”, they’re Fortnite players who buy the issue for codes, and also some of them read the book too I guess.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

Infinite Frontier as a lineup really is flopping as a whole. Outside of the Batline it’s just not generating much excitement, which is a shame because it’s the best overall DC has been since the start of Rebirth. They must be planning a linewide relaunch after the upcoming event at this point.
    What good is that if it's 50 Batman books?

DC is paying for the antics of previous folks-who killed as much good will as they could with certain franchises.

A 13 million increase by everyone NOT named DC in a year is a message.

We hear all these excuse about why this or that book can't be done. Meanwhile other companies are doing those type books.

What did Abbot 1973 starring a lesbian black woman do to get a huge boost over it's previous series that Vixen couldn't do?

What are the Power Rangers doing that Green Lantern and Flash can't do?

What is Elvira and others doing that keeps getting them books that Power Girl, Katanna and others at DC can't do to even get one?

Mighty Member

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...1/2021-06.html

Here are the number of units based on the sales.

Astonishing Member

Time to publish all non Batman books in a new reader friendly universe with Hal and Barry as leads.

Smiles in Didio.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Time to publish all non Batman books in a new reader friendly universe with Hal and Barry as leads.

Smiles in Didio.
    It's nothing wrong giving other characters like John and Wally chances to take to the center stage and shine for a bit. They deserve it as much as Hal and Barry did.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    It's nothing wrong giving other characters like John and Wally chances to take to the center stage and shine for a bit. They deserve it as much as Hal and Barry did.
    If they don't sell then it is.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A 13 million increase by everyone NOT named DC in a year is a message.
    What message is that? That DC should sell more books than every other publisher combined?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Sales might be (slightly) up but it would be better if units could be compared. Half of DC's floppies in June '21 were priced higher than $3.99. In June '19 only 7 of 57 floppies were priced higher than $3.99.

June '21 is also a bit of an outlier. Two Batman/Fortnite Issues and Nice House On The Lake #1 were released.
    Exactly. This needs to come with more data like average price per book and what share of the more costly books like the $5.99 and up added to the total revenue. Also this just points out straight retail msrp. Also the revenue doesn't include the 50% discount from DCBS. They just count every sale at DCBS as full MSRP.

But then again people keep complaining about the raising price, yet the data is right there showing you higher revenue even though sales seem lackluster.

Although 2020 shouldn't even be compared considering the pandemic and supply chain issues.
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 08-04-2021 at 01:07 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What is Elvira and others doing that keeps getting them books that Power Girl, Katanna and others at DC can't do to even get one?
    That one is easy- Elvira and the like are full of cheesecake shots and made for audiences that are typical of the "stereotypical" comic buyer- straight white nerd dudes. I think both of those are characters that could easily be made big, but any discussion of Power Girl leads to JSA discussion, and IMO JSA won't sell. Power Girl should be doing her own thing, not as part of a family or team. Same with Katanna, if they could find a writer to work for her.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forlorn View Post
    That one is easy- Elvira and the like are full of cheesecake shots and made for audiences that are typical of the "stereotypical" comic buyer- straight white nerd dudes. I think both of those are characters that could easily be made big, but any discussion of Power Girl leads to JSA discussion, and IMO JSA won't sell. Power Girl should be doing her own thing, not as part of a family or team. Same with Katanna, if they could find a writer to work for her.
    But no one throws a FIT when they get a book.

We got Three Stooges, John Carter and others with books-no one is having a stroke about those books existing.

Yet here it's World War 3. Like a crime has been committed if a book NOT starring Batman and his entitled friends are not the leads.

If they don't sell then it is.
    Then why don't they sell? Lets find that out before demanding they both be buried.

What stores are NOT selling them and why?

If having a black lead is the issue for a store (which it seems to be for some) than a book staring John Stewart might need to new format (OGN or 100 pager).

If DC has ticked off Wally fans so much that they don't care-lets try a new format or try less is better.

In other words don't give me excuses give some solutions other than John and his kind can't be leads. I will have a pink slip waiting for you at your desk.

Everyone else is making it work or trying to make it work-why is it an issue HERE.

200 Batman books are NOT the answer. That iceberg is still there Titanic.