Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I agree with you that there are several factors here that might be affecting GL sales for the worse, and those you have mentioned are indeed factors I consider part of the equation.

At this point, I think GL needs HUGE names (both writer and artist) and some fresh editorial mandate in order to get some stability, but other than that, I have no idea what could be done. Certainly, my idea for a relaunch (basically, bringing the status quo of the 90s back) would not be favoured by most.
    I do wonder if it'll eventually get to a point like the 90's where DC scuttles the entire thing and gives us one, single, human Lantern for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I don't really get this. Morrison is a big name writer, so I don't understand why his last two issues would be in the 70-80s. That's pretty concerning for the GL brand as a whole then, because I don't see them planning to use another big name writer for this series.
    Last two issues came out during or after Future State months, it was made clear that it is happening in its own bubble so it probably killed the interest a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Goblin View Post
    I would also add unceremoniously wiping out characters some people care about, namely Arisia. Yes, it can be argued she has a sordid past, but she has managed to develop somewhat of a fanbase regardless of that. The writer treating her like that on top of aggressively blasting Hal Jordan on social media is something that many GL fans won't appreciate.
    She was confirmed dead only last issue I think so effect of such decisions wouldn't really impact sales of first three issues. I'd also guess that there is a big overlap between Arisia's and Hal's fans so likely many of them didn't pick up this book in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I do wonder if it'll eventually get to a point like the 90's where DC scuttles the entire thing and gives us one, single, human Lantern for a bit.
    Given that we have social media now and everything that comes with it, I highly doubt GL could ever go back to a 90s-like setting, even for a little while. Besides we've already seen the "Torchbearer" thing, Kyle should always be the one who had that honor of carrying the GL legacy on his own, it's what made him stand out, but what also constantly plagued him was how DC got to that point. If they take that away from Kyle too and make, let's say, Teen Lantern the only GL left, people won't take kindly to it at all. It could produce some neat stories, but people won't forget the other Lanterns were "sacrificed" for the sake of having only one left, especially with DC's history with that brand.

I don't really get this. Morrison is a big name writer, so I don't understand why his last two issues would be in the 70-80s. That's pretty concerning for the GL brand as a whole then, because I don't see them planning to use another big name writer for this series.

I don't think it has to do with Morrison's run not being liked. I think high profile writers can still get high attraction, regardless of the quality of their product. But I think the GL brand is spread far too thin when it comes to characters. And honestly, I don't see it ever recovering at this point, mainly because of that. Most critical feedback I see with the current run has to do with

1 - Destroyed Battery, due to editorial mandate
    2 - Tom Raney's art and art inconsistencies
    3 - Split stories with Teen Lantern and Jo Mullein getting focuses that feels more of a GLC.

In one of Geoffrey Thorne's interviews, he sort of said the plan is to expand the GL franchise to where they may have an incoming mini coming up. But I don't see that really happening if the sales dip like this.
    I’ve been saying for a while, but editorial has to stop doing “the GLC gets wiped out” stories. They were the ones who wanted that story, that’s not what Thorne pitched. They should’ve let him tell his John Stewart mini without tacking on all this unnecessary bull crap. Those three reasons are definitely why I think the book is struggling. No offense to Jo fans but while her book was a critical darling it did not sell well, and making her the “last” Lantern over any of the others isn’t going to bring in a ton of fans. And while I don’t hate Raney’s art, starting with Dexter Soy and then going to him is a downgrade, Soy is one of DC’s best artists.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’ve been saying for a while, but editorial has to stop doing “the GLC gets wiped out” stories. They were the ones who wanted that story, that’s not what Thorne pitched. They should’ve let him tell his John Stewart mini without tacking on all this unnecessary bull crap. Those three reasons are definitely why I think the book is struggling. No offense to Jo fans but while her book was a critical darling it did not sell well, and making her the “last” Lantern over any of the others isn’t going to bring in a ton of fans. And while I don’t hate Raney’s art, starting with Dexter Soy and then going to him is a downgrade, Soy is one of DC’s best artists.
    Yeah i think the main issue is DC misleading the fans into thinking this is a John Stewart book when in reality its the Jo/Teen Lantern show with a ringless John Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well right now the only human GLs are Hal and Jo, hell with the Battery blown up and the GLC off the board, we pretty much are back to the 90s status quo.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    . . . At this point, I think GL needs HUGE names (both writer and artist) . . .
    But "HUGE names" for both means 2X the $'s to produce. So then you're putting the book in a bad situation to start with because if it doesn't automatically bring in Batman-like sales figures it might cost DC too much money and either get quickly cancelled or get switched to a less expensive writer and/or artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Goblin View Post

I guess John just cares about running the Green Lantern Corps, but he doesn't seem particularly close to anyone in it, or anyone in general. You CAN actually tell an interesting story about a guy like that, and why he is like that, and maybe have him try not to be like that...but DC never does. They just tell stories about him doing stuff that typically doesn't address much about him or his motivations. The only time he actually seemed close to the GLC was in the 1980s. In the 90s, he seemed like a detached outsider, but Gerard Jones actually made that a part of his character and made stories about why he is that way.
    Obviously John Stewart is lost in space right now, with a brand new group of characters, but one of the strengths of the Future State story was how John was specifically how the characters were written like a real squadron. It reminded me of some of the best hollywood war movies. I could feel the trust and understanding they shared as a team even amidst chaotic warfare. It's not a buddy cop movie, it's Saving Private Ryan. And within the team John Stewart is the coolheaded captain who is all about the bigger picture even though he himself runs to the frontline.

We also saw how he treated Keli Quintela in the second issue in particular and passed onto her the idea of her depending on the people around her like Simon Baz. I have to admit that a part of me really wished that they went ahead with the set up from the second issue, before the battery blew up. Because it felt like a great way to emphasize that everyone there has a purpose and how they rely on each other even when sectors apart. I love the idea of a book spit in half with two people being affected by the same thing but sectors apart.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    She was confirmed dead only last issue I think so effect of such decisions wouldn't really impact sales of first three issues. I'd also guess that there is a big overlap between Arisia's and Hal's fans so likely many of them didn't pick up this book in the first place.
    Right, I like Arisia as a character, but I don't think her treatment made a big impact on sales. The last time I can remember her getting some good treatment was in GL Earth One. She hardly ever gets the treatment she deserves these days. Although you may have some fans upset about her treatment that's been going on for years, but I don't think it's a deal breaker for most. And also, it's not just retaining those old readers, but gaining new ones to the franchise.

And yea, most hardcore Hal fans weren't going to pick up the book regardless, which is fine. It just doesn't make any sense to go from #10 to #109 in just three issues in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep, we seen the same **** in different time periods. Emerald Twilight, Lights Out!, Lost Army, and Edge Of Oblivion. I honestly don't know why editorial is so obsess with a battery being destroyed. Or there's some plot that the human GL's can't wear green lantern rings anymore. I haven't kept up with the sales these days, but I thought Jo's book was doing good, considering she has fans. So her's book was struggling too. Dexter Soy should've stayed on. Having artists like that also plays key in help retaining readers. Like you can't restore a franchise if you have terrible management going on. That's something that they really need to ask themselves on why their goals aren't being met.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 07-29-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    Yeah i think the main issue is DC misleading the fans into thinking this is a John Stewart book when in reality its the Jo/Teen Lantern show with a ringless John Stewart.
    I mean look at the recent and future covers lol. Jo is on those covers, while John is missing from them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post

....huh.

There might be some truth to this.

While i wouldn't accuse DC of a bait and switch yet as it's too early i am still waiting for .... more "ring slinging" from John Stewart. I'm happy with the title thus far though but i'll definitely need this to emerge sooner rather than later.
    Don't complain. Create.

I admit I had expected this was going to be a more traditional John Stewart solo from the outset.

I haven't kept up with the sales these days, but I thought Jo's book was doing good, considering she has fans.
    I think she was hovering in 100-150 position. I'd say it was ok sales considering it was part of that DC Young Animal line, but probably not something you should try to build your major franchise around because it increasingly does seem like this story is about Jo and Teen Lantern, while RedJack is doing his John's stuff almost as a backup feature.

Far Sector was a critical darling but not a commercial one. Didn’t sell well at all as far as I’m aware, which is why it’s so weird they 1. Brought her into main day present continuity and 2. Seem to be making her the main Lantern of the franchise since she’s supposed to end up on the JL with Jon, Jace, Yara, and the rest

I mean look at the recent and future covers lol. Jo is on those covers, while John is missing from them.
    That's something I'd actually agree with people when they used to say that DC was giving Hal a different treatment compared to the others, because when they'd advertise a GL book starring Hal, that ended up precisely being a GL book starring Hal, not a "Well, it has Hal, but also a few others for half the story while he doesn't have a ring on" kind of book. The fact that this is happening under a different management now isn't good news either.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-30-2021 at 12:29 AM.