Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...1/2021-06.html

Here are the number of units based on the sales.
    Looking at the Median of DC's sales, their sales seem healthier. Might even be up.

June 2019: 22,621 Units

June 2021: 33,500 Units

Even if the June 2021 Units are merely estimates and therefore a true comparison can't be made, the difference is large enough to show sales are better. While the three bestselling comics of June 2019 outsold the three bestselling comics of 2021 by a lot, other "positions" are doing better.

It fits with what Comichron said:

The estimated numbers are too vague to calculate a mean/average of the 2021 numbers that can then be compared to the 2019 numbers.
    Last edited by Avi; 08-05-2021 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added information, corrected July to June

I'm likely not seeing the bigger picture here, but to give an example, I looked up the July 2019 sales and the 9th issue of Morrison's The Green Lantern is at #41 with 43K, in comparison to July 2021, where the 3rd issue of the current Green Lantern book is at #106 with (estimated) 29K. How can something like that be considered an improvement with healthier sales even in a month where more overall units were sold as compared to 2 years ago. If DC moved more units, how are so many of their bigger books so low with such (estimated) low numbers.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-05-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm likely not seeing the bigger picture here, but to give an example, I looked up the July 2019 sales and the 9th issue of Morrison's The Green Lantern is at #41 with 43K, in comparison to July 2021, where the 3rd issue of the current Green Lantern book is at #106 with (estimated) 29K. How can something like that be considered an improvement with healthier sales even in a month where more overall units were sold as compared to 2 years ago. If DC moved more units, how are so many of their bigger books so low with such (estimated) low numbers.
    Because you can't check one title and then decide every other title shares the same fate? Though the same can be said about only comparing this June and June of two years ago. Both can barely be called a sample. At the end of the day, they are both snapshots.

If their units are truly up is a question that can't be answered with estimated numbers. Their units are merely better distributed.

Bigger books having low numbers isn't surprising, imo. Reasons for that have been discussed in multiple threads. Especially the reasons that might impact Green Lantern.

What do you consider low numbers? In June 2019 59.65% of DC's titles sold beneath 30k. In June 2021 38.33% sold beneath 30k.
    Last edited by Avi; 08-05-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: fixed "July" to "June"

Low numbers is Action Comics barely making it in the top 100 with 31K. Low numbers is GL being lower than something like Beta Ray Bill. Low numbers is Supergirl WoT's first issue debuting at #73 without even cracking 40K. Low numbers is titles like Superman, Wonder Woman or Batman/Superman being so much lower in the top 100 than a title like Daredevil. I don't understand why this shouldn't be concerning just because they moved more overall units.

Low numbers is titles like Superman, Wonder Woman or Batman/Superman being so much lower in the top 100 than a title like Daredevil.
    Daredevil is on a massive upswing right now with great word of mouth, major fan support and award nominations. It's not really a good comparison point for something doing "bad."
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Looking at the numbers they're not that bad. Titans academy and Flash at 35 and 34K. But overall DC is missing something that's intangible but necessary which is excitement and anticipation for the next issue that comes out. I'm not sure how they can get it back other than hiring someone old school like Marv Wolfman and John Byrne. Comic book fans for the most part are still kind of old school because they're not on the internet. I think a good way to give new energy to the Justice League is to add Beast Boy. he can draw some of the young Teen Titans fans plus he has never joined before.

Ultimate Member

Low numbers is Action Comics barely making it in the top 100 with 31K. Low numbers is GL being lower than something like Beta Ray Bill. Low numbers is Supergirl WoT's first issue debuting at #73 without even cracking 40K. Low numbers is titles like Superman, Wonder Woman or Batman/Superman being so much lower in the top 100 than a title like Daredevil. I don't understand why this shouldn't be concerning just because they moved more overall units.
    How many copies are being BOUGHT by a person?

How many unsold copies are there?

If Action Comics does 31K and sells say 27K versus Action Comics does 60K and only sells 27K is there a cause for concern?

Could it be stores are now actually ordering enough copies to sell and leave maybe 1-3 unsold copies?

I mean visit some of these stores-whose books are packing bins and grab bags and in Midtown Comic's case-lead discount sales?

Yes the numbers are low in terms of orders but are they moving more product or are we seeing what the numbers should have been all along?

I suspect these are the actual numbers for some of these books.

Notice what we are NOT seeing-a large bunch of second and up printings of books now. Which made NO sense when you could still get the first printing for cover price.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    . . . Comic book fans for the most part are still kind of old school because they're not on the internet . . .
    Where are you getting this from?

Dude, I'm so "old school" it's not even funny, but I do use the internet.

I may not go to all the "kewl" and "boss" sites like Twitter and such, but I am here.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Where are you getting this from?

Dude, I'm so "old school" it's not even funny, but I do use the internet.

I may not go to all the "kewl" and "boss" sites like Twitter and such, but I am here.
    Just generally speaking and based on what I read a few weeks that said only 10% of comic book readers are on twitter. but I never bother to fact check so I'm not sure how accurate that number is. and also because digital comics have not taken off. If nfts were energy efficient I would say that nft comics could make the comic industry more robust.

Just generally speaking and based on what I read a few weeks that said only 10% of comic book readers are on twitter...
    Well, Donald Trump use to use Twitter (or lackeys acting in his name did), so it's definitely not something just for the younger generation.

Amazing Member

Just generally speaking and based on what I read a few weeks that said only 10% of comic book readers are on twitter. but I never bother to fact check so I'm not sure how accurate that number is. and also because digital comics have not taken off. If nfts were energy efficient I would say that nft comics could make the comic industry more robust.
    It should be noted that even at the best of times, Twitter is not a good way to check... pretty much anything for any group of people. Its a pretty un-representative example of things, especially when you consider some of the information out there, such as this info from Pew Research: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...s-and-twitter/

I guess my overall point is that although not many comic readers use it, that doesn't mean much. Looking at comic readers on Facebook would be a better representation, for example.

Looking at the numbers they're not that bad. Titans academy and Flash at 35 and 34K. But overall DC is missing something that's intangible but necessary which is excitement and anticipation for the next issue that comes out. I'm not sure how they can get it back other than hiring someone old school like Marv Wolfman and John Byrne. Comic book fans for the most part are still kind of old school because they're not on the internet. I think a good way to give new energy to the Justice League is to add Beast Boy. he can draw some of the young Teen Titans fans plus he has never joined before.
    Lol I never thought I'd see this type of suggestion for increasing sales.
    Wolfman couldn't save Cyborg's solo during the New 52. I don't see how DC hiring older writers who are long past their heyday is going to help.
    If anything, they need to hire fresh voices so people can get excited about the DCU again.

Sorry but I have no clue how you think either of those two would be getting any excitement for them taking over books. Claremont writes the occasional X-Book now and then, and it does not attract even 1/10 of the sales he used to draw. Morrison is writing a new Superman book, and the sales are soft! Johns’ Shazam sold tepidly as well. Only one who could maybe get a rush of people checking out books is Hickman, they’d be better off trying to get him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm sure that stuff like GL selling bad is a concern and we talked about this a lot last week I think? What Avi is saying is that on average DC is doing better, this doesn't mean that some of the titles can't sell worse than they did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Forlorn View Post
    . . . I guess my overall point is that although not many comic readers use it, that doesn't mean much. Looking at comic readers on Facebook would be a better representation, for example.
    Isn't Facebook really just one step beyond AOL dial-up internet service these days in terms of "current" and "popular"?