Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default DC sales figures for the month of June

WTF, GL is not even in the top 100?? Gotdamn.

Why is BRZRKR so high?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Why is BRZRKR so high?
    Retailers probably banking on Kaanu Reeves' name and the upcoming movie to have plenty of copies on hand.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    WTF, GL is not even in the top 100?? Gotdamn.
    It hasn't been doing that great for a while. The last two issues of Morrison's run were only in the 70-80s. The Future State issues were in the top 50, but those were an event tie-in so I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the GL brand.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It hasn't been doing that great for a while. The last two issues of Morrison's run were only in the 70-80s. The Future State issues were in the top 50, but those were an event tie-in so I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the GL brand.
    I recently read on BC where they publish those reports from retailers around the country and one of them said the 1st issue of GL sold less than Morrison's last because their readers were disappointed about Hal being sidelined, but as you said it's not like Morrison's run was lighting up the charts or anything. I was still shocked to see this since it's only the 3rd issue of the book. Thought it's far too early to drop like a stone like that. That's why those events and Bat books will not decrease anytime soon.

Ultimate Member

If we exclude first issues and annuals and event books-it's in the top 100.

When you flood the market with certain type of books-it does hurt everyone as some folks have to look at budgets in what they buy.

Why is BRZRKR so high?
    Folks trying to milk on the movie but will get a sad reality check because with so many COPIES and places like Ebay-I don't have to lay higher prices for those books.

It would make more sense for folks to hunt down Lumberjanes, Static, Paper Girls & Bitter Root issues since they have a movie or show coming. Paper Girl just finished casting.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

These numbers seem off to me. I'm be seen an interview with RedJack where he seemed REALLY happy and proud about #1 sales. Either DC's operation is really smaller these days, and expectations are different, or we're not seeing accurate charts. (not that we ever really did)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

I don't know if this has to do with the sales for the GL book, but it has really unappealing artwork to me. The proportions are strange. Maybe it's a stylistic choice because it seems pretty consistent, but the heads of the characters are too big. And that's just one example. The lead character is quite unattractive panel to panel. That might seem pretty shallow, but when you're looking at this panel to panel...it's just not quite fun to look at.

The storyline doesn't seem appealing to me. I'd rather not see John Stewart restricted to a gun or a sword. I would rather see him with a power ring. Also, wiping out characters like Arisia is pretty upsetting when we see characters like Teen Lantern and the Far Sector Green Lantern getting a big spotlight. I'm not saying that makes the story bad, per se, but it seems the writer is going in a direction I would rather not see.

Speaking of the Far Sector GL, her hairdo is distracting for me. Perhaps the artists just aren't drawing it well, because I don't recall thinking this when I saw her from the Far Sector comic, but it looks like a shark's nose. So we have two lead characters and they're both unappealing to look at, and it's not even in a way that characters like Swamp Thing are supposed to be "ugly". And before anyone wants to come at me, it is not that they're black. It has to do with that they are not drawn well and/or there are bad design choices going on.

And as for the characters, yeah, I don't like these characters. John is okay, but I just don't have any interest in reading Teen Lantern or Far Sector Lantern.

Those are just my two cents. I don't know if that has to do with why the book isn't selling well, but they're some reasons why I personally don't care for it.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Ouch.

Those are some seriously shitty numbers for DC.
    Justice League ranking outside the Top 50???
    When was the last time that was a regular occurrence?? 1990??
    The titles outside the top 100 were surprising to me.
    Action Comics?? How does that sell less copies than an Iron Man Annual???
    Green Lantern appears to be bombing quite hard

That said, 87th 88th and 89th on the list were all TOP reads IMO and deserve a higher readership- especially the Flash!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Some of these books are better than their ranking, but still, these numbers are absolutely awful. I know its not as easy to calculate anymore, but unless things are WAY off this still doesn't look good.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-27-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    These numbers seem off to me. I'm be seen an interview with RedJack where he seemed REALLY happy and proud about #1 sales. Either DC's operation is really smaller these days, and expectations are different, or we're not seeing accurate charts. (not that we ever really did)
    I feel like this might be the case for the reasons you cite.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like this might be the case for the reasons you cite.
    That and some guys have speculated that the real linewide relaunch is still coming down the line. There’s an event coming next year and I could see a linewide relaunch coming out of that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I don't think that any writer couple of months into his run is going to say "****, my stuff is bombing hard". Thats easiest way to scare some undecided readers.

As for accuracy I think it is possible that we get wrong picture how DC's sales relate to Marvel's and other publishers, but my guess would be that overall ranking of DC's product is accurate. Here is the chart with only DC stuff in it: https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...2021-06DC.html

Green Lantern sales to me make sense because:

a) It does not star Hal Jordan and unfortunately writer had said some stupid **** in the past about Hal. Now, I'd say that he has shown himself to be professional and Hal was written well. But I can see many hardcore Hal fans skipping it entirely based on these comments alone.
    b) Redjack is not a name writer and 3 artists in 4 issues isn't very attractive either.
    c) Morrison/Sharp didn't set the charts on fire either and DC has not been investing heavily in promoting GLs for a while now. So if you have "smaller" creative team on it and focus on less popular GLs... what else can happen if not declining sales?
    d) This is more of a personal issue, but I think that DC might have seriously damaged the franchise at this point by introducing so many new human GLs. In general I like what is happening in GL series now, but I might end up dropping it simply due to Jo and Teen Lantern getting so much focus.

As for Superman's line, Bendis flopped and PJK is continuing in the same direction. Why would people who left before Future State return for PJK?

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    Issue number 1's always sell well, but to come in at number 12 is pretty phenomenal for a relatively unknown character. Fingers crossed for continued success.

(I take it that he's getting multimedia exposure? Either that or the Netflix's Young Justice cartoon has paid off???)

I'm a huge Hal fan and not even I could get into Morrison's run... I found it really dry.

I was looking forward to John Stewart's run, but I can't get into the writer, spot 109 probably puts it in the low 20,000 sales range....which is not good for an issue 3. Two writer strikes for me on GL, unless the next few issues wow me.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Ouch.

Those are some seriously shitty numbers for DC.
    Justice League ranking outside the Top 50???
    When was the last time that was a regular occurrence?? 1990??
    The titles outside the top 100 were surprising to me.
    Action Comics?? How does that sell less copies than an Iron Man Annual???
    Green Lantern appears to be bombing quite hard

That said, 87th 88th and 89th on the list were all TOP reads IMO and deserve a higher readership- especially the Flash!
    As your probably aware, DC's number 2 man has been falling in popularity for a few decades now. For whatever reason he can't get any traction with the younger generation. (Two bad Superman films?)

If you think Action Comics sales are bad, the Superman mini series (Superman red and blue) is selling as well as Batman and Scooby Doo Mysteries. Yikes!

Other interesting things to note:

Wonder Woman at 199 and Marvel's Black Widow at 131 with a new movie on her out. Ouch! Sales for super heroines have never been that great, but those numbers are low, I guess I can kiss my hopes for a new Zatanna or Black Canary series goodbye.

Finally, Marvel's Iron Man at 106? What's going on there? Is it still Tony Stark at the helm?