Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I am really surprised with the position of Green Lantern in the chart, BUT I am approaching this data conservatively for now, because - for all we know - the positions might be separated by only a few single issues.

That being said, I understand why it *might* have dipped so low:
    1-Grant Morrison's run was not particularly well-liked.
    2-Geoff Thorne has made some divisive comments regarding Hal Jordan.
    3-Having so many different artists in the book feels messy.
    4-John Stewart remains an underdeveloped character.
    5-The first arc plot ("the destruction of the Central Battery and the missing Lanterns in the Dark Sector") feels uninspired and repetitive (similarly done so already in Green Lantern: Edge Of Oblivion, for example).

However, I certainly don't think Thorne is to blame for the low sales (if they are in fact low). Some of the worst elements in the arc (for example the Central Battery going kaboom) were editorial mandates, and thus, I am of the opinion that, irrespective of me not being a fan of the direction, he is doing the best he can with the cards he was dealt.
    you cant blame the last run for the new relaunch tanking when the former's last issue didnt even drop outside the top 100 while the new one already did at its 3rd issue

Spectacular Member

I am really surprised with the position of Green Lantern in the chart, BUT I am approaching this data conservatively for now, because - for all we know - the positions might be separated by only a few single issues.

5-The first arc plot ("the destruction of the Central Battery and the missing Lanterns in the Dark Sector") feels uninspired and repetitive (similarly done so already in Green Lantern: Edge Of Oblivion, for example).

However, I certainly don't think Thorne is to blame for the low sales (if they are in fact low). Some of the worst elements in the arc (for example the Central Battery going kaboom) were editorial mandates, and thus, I am of the opinion that, irrespective of me not being a fan of the direction, he is doing the best he can with the cards he was dealt.
    you cant blame the last run for the new relaunch tanking when the former's last issue didnt even drop outside the top 100 while the new one already did at its 3rd issue

BANNED

Yeah, I don't think Morrison's run has anything to do with this.

I agree with this. I'm a little amused I'm saying this, but I find the character "boring". Because, it's like...he seems empty and detached, and because of that, I find myself detached from him. We see he does good hero things, but what does he care about? Who does he care about? Why does he do good hero things? Just because? Any particular reason?

I guess John just cares about running the Green Lantern Corps, but he doesn't seem particularly close to anyone in it, or anyone in general. You CAN actually tell an interesting story about a guy like that, and why he is like that, and maybe have him try not to be like that...but DC never does. They just tell stories about him doing stuff that typically doesn't address much about him or his motivations. The only time he actually seemed close to the GLC was in the 1980s. In the 90s, he seemed like a detached outsider, but Gerard Jones actually made that a part of his character and made stories about why he is that way.

I don't feel this way about his cartoon counterpart. We saw he cares about Hawkgirl and watched that relationship believably develop. He had insecurities about his place in life when he saw how his old friend Rex Mason was doing, and he had a believable grudging and consistent friendship with The Flash. But something seems to be missing with the modern comics counterpart. For the past 25 years or so in the comics, he's just been pretty "blah" to me. I know he's supposed to be friends with Guy, but I don't find it too convincing. I guess because the writing of the two of them together never convinced me there was much of substance going on between the two. He seems professional with Hal (unless they're punching each other), but not really a friend of his.

One of the things that's upsetting with the current series is it doesn't seem to be doing much to address this from what I read. It has restored John's history as a Guardian. But as of yet, there are still no notable villains, interactions, love interests, or even establishing much of a distinct place with him.

------------------------

About The Flash, yeah, I didn't even know The Flash was Wally again until very recently, and I discovered that from looking in a topic on this forum. I still don't even know what happened to Barry. So yeah, I'm willing to bet a lot of Wally's fans don't even know he's leading The Flash title right now. When you're not getting what you want in comics, some people don't stick around complaining ad nauseum. They eventually find other things to occupy them, so many Wally fans are probably gone and unaware, and DC probably wouldn't be able to get many of them back, because now they're in the habit of contently spending their time elsewhere.
    Last edited by Neo Goblin; 07-29-2021 at 05:43 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Goblin View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Morrison's run has anything to do with this.
    I might have misexplained my argument. I am not saying it is Morrison's fault. I am simply pointing that his run didn't particularly sell very well (I think the last few issues sold somewhere between the 60 to 100 position), nor did it generate any buzz that might attract casual readers.

If a previous run wasn't well received, or didn't sell well, it makes people more apprehensive to give a new run a try. It's the same logic that TV networks use when pairing up a new show to air after one of their more successful ones. It provides a good lead-in with the hopes that people will stay around for the new stuff after consuming the one they already like before it.

The previous run didn't necessarily hurt hit, but it for sure didn't help it.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    If a previous run wasn't well received, or didn't sell well, it makes people more apprehensive to give a new run a try. It's the same logic that TV networks use when pairing up a new show to air after one of their more successful ones. It provides a good lead-in with the hopes that people will stay around for the new stuff after consuming the one they already like before it.

The previous run didn't necessarily hurt hit, but it for sure didn't help it.
    I can see the excuses starting already, last issue of morrison run was no. 90 of top 100 while the first issue of the relaunch was at no. 10 of top 100 but it's all the last runs fault right?

I can see the excuses starting already, last issue of morrison run was no. 90 of top 100 while the first issue of the relaunch was at no. 10 of top 100 but it's all the last runs fault right?
    I literally said in that exact comment you quoted that it wasn't all the last run's fault.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Yeah I don't get how dropping from #10 to #109 in three issues can be related to the previous run. It's not like the new title is somehow connected to what Morrison was previously doing anyway, it was a brand new book with a new direction featuring different characters that was launched as part of a new DC initiative. Whoever previously felt "alienated" by Morrison's run, this was the perfect new entry point for them. If it bombed as hard as it seemingly did, I can't see how that can be connected to what was going on previously.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-29-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It hasn't been doing that great for a while. The last two issues of Morrison's run were only in the 70-80s. The Future State issues were in the top 50, but those were an event tie-in so I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the GL brand.
    I don't really get this. Morrison is a big name writer, so I don't understand why his last two issues would be in the 70-80s. That's pretty concerning for the GL brand as a whole then, because I don't see them planning to use another big name writer for this series.

I don't think it has to do with Morrison's run not being liked. I think high profile writers can still get high attraction, regardless of the quality of their product. But I think the GL brand is spread far too thin when it comes to characters. And honestly, I don't see it ever recovering at this point, mainly because of that. Most critical feedback I see with the current run has to do with

1 - Destroyed Battery, due to editorial mandate
    2 - Tom Raney's art and art inconsistencies
    3 - Split stories with Teen Lantern and Jo Mullein getting focuses that feels more of a GLC.

In one of Geoffrey Thorne's interviews, he sort of said the plan is to expand the GL franchise to where they may have an incoming mini coming up. But I don't see that really happening if the sales dip like this.

I don't think it's the last runs' fault at all. And it has nothing to do with the writer. I just think Green Lantern as a brand is falling apart for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah I don't get how dropping from #10 to #109 in three issues can be related to the previous run. It's not like the new title is somehow connected to what Morrison was previously doing anyway, it was a brand new book featuring entirely different characters that was launched as part of a new DC initiative. Whoever previously felt "alienated" by Morrison's run, this was the perfect new entry point for them. If it bombed as hard as it seemingly did, I can't see how that can be connected to what was going on previously.
    Damn from #10 to #109!!!? There's got to be a reason for that. I did remember the writer saying the sales were good so far in the first issue, but that's it.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 07-29-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I don't think it's the last runs' fault at all. And it has nothing to do with the writer. I just think Green Lantern as a brand is falling apart for various reasons.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. I'm side eye-ing y'all throwing Redjack under the bus because he's "made disparaging comments about Hal". Because the majority of comic book readers and retailers are on CBR to have even known that, right? What a joke lol.

Whatever momentum the series had after Johns is long gone, and now, we have more GL characters and leads spreading the book thin and alienating people who rather see their preferred GL's starred. I understand wanting to raise Keli and Jo's status, but I doubt that's what most regular GL reader's want.

Overall, these sales are abysmal but I do believe the writing and direction on the flagships books IS better.

Damn from #10 to #109!!!? There's got to be a reason for that. I did remember the writer saying the sales were good so far in the first issue, but that's it.
    I agree Sodam. Mismanaging the brand for so long has really taken its toll apparently. And as I mentioned, this is why we have a million Bat books. Though as many Bat books and events as they can do, it won't fix the problems with the "secondary" DC brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I'm relatively happy with DC these days...minus the Legion of Super Heroes (who have been annihilated beyond recognition) and new JSA line up, my favourite heroes have been getting exposure, in some form or another . . .
    Aside from one-or-two page images sprinkled here and there, do we really know what the team "line up" will be if/when they get used in the future?

If Geoff Johns is writing, then the images are likely to indicate who he'd use.
    But if somebody else is writing them, would they have to use the Geoff Johns stuff, or would they possibly have some say as to who gets used?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    For me, DC's main problem is more structural than creative at present.

Piracy, lack of digital accessibility that's fast and easy, and distribution. (I can't find a DC comic anywhere outside the comic shops, which are dwindling)
    But aside from DC comics, what other company's comic books can you find outside of a comic shop these days? I've seen some Disney-related ones in the toy section at a Walmart, but not sure who produced those. (I don't think it was BOOM! or anyone else I've heard of.) And there are some tpb collections that show up in bookstores and book sections of stores like Walmart occasionally.

Lack of availability of single-issue comic books (at least here in the U.S.) is an industry-wide situation, not just DC.

BANNED

Most critical feedback I see with the current run has to do with

3 - Split stories with Teen Lantern and Jo Mullein getting focuses that feels more of a GLC.
    I would also add unceremoniously wiping out characters some people care about, namely Arisia. Yes, it can be argued she has a sordid past, but she has managed to develop somewhat of a fanbase regardless of that. The writer treating her like that on top of aggressively blasting Hal Jordan on social media is something that many GL fans won't appreciate.

Incredible Member

I don't really get this. Morrison is a big name writer, so I don't understand why his last two issues would be in the 70-80s. That's pretty concerning for the GL brand as a whole then, because I don't see them planning to use another big name writer for this series.

I don't think it has to do with Morrison's run not being liked. I think high profile writers can still get high attraction, regardless of the quality of their product. But I think the GL brand is spread far too thin when it comes to characters. And honestly, I don't see it ever recovering at this point, mainly because of that. Most critical feedback I see with the current run has to do with

In one of Geoffrey Thorne's interviews, he sort of said the plan is to expand the GL franchise to where they may have an incoming mini coming up. But I don't see that really happening if the sales dip like this.
    I agree with you that there are several factors here that might be affecting GL sales for the worse, and those you have mentioned are indeed factors I consider part of the equation.

At this point, I think GL needs HUGE names (both writer and artist) and some fresh editorial mandate in order to get some stability, but other than that, I have no idea what could be done. Certainly, my idea for a relaunch (basically, bringing the status quo of the 90s back) would not be favoured by most.