Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Eeh, thats not fair. Implying indignations to it when they just stated the obvious. DC is pushing more diversity right now. Probably more for other media gains, but its nonetheless clearly a thing they are doing. To acknowledge that isn't offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Issue number 1's always sell well, but to come in at number 12 is pretty phenomenal for a relatively unknown character. Fingers crossed for continued success.
    Well, given that he starred in his own popular cartoon, he's not THAT unknown.

But given that this is basically an "Elseworlds" story and it doesn't feature a "star" creative team, while it at the same time beat out many times over in the same month the new #1 of an in-continuity story starring a much more popular and well-known character with strong ties to the company's flagship character (and who had a much more popular and well-known TV show), that DOES feature a star writer, then yeah, I find that pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    Well, given that he starred in his own popular cartoon, he's not THAT unknown.

But given that this is basically an "Elseworlds" story and it doesn't feature a "star" creative team, while it at the same time beat out many times over in the same month the new #1 of an in-continuity story starring a much more popular and well-known character with strong ties to the company's flagship character (and who had a much more popular and well-known TV show), that DOES feature a star writer, then yeah, I find that pretty impressive.
    Well fingers crossed for continued success, who knows, he might end up being one of the characters that becomes extremely popular in 10 to 20 years time....(Provided comics are still a vibrant industry)

By the way, I dig your funky username.

Incredible Member

Well, here are the numbers for July - https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...mics-july-2021

It seems that Wonder Girl is doing great, Static didn't make it to the top 50, Nightwing dropped but is still in the top 50, and Superman son of Kal-el and Superman and the Authority didn't have the best debut.

It also seems like JL 64 sold nicely, but 65 didn't make it to the top 50? I'm not reading JL. Does it make sense?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Well, here are the numbers for July - https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...mics-july-2021

It seems that Wonder Girl is doing great, Static didn't make it to the top 50, Nightwing dropped but is still in the top 50, and Superman son of Kal-el and Superman and the Authority didn't have the best debut.

It also seems like JL 64 sold nicely, but 65 didn't make it to the top 50? I'm not reading JL. Does it make sense?
    I think the sample (100 stores) is too small to draw any conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post

. . . It also seems like JL 64 sold nicely, but 65 didn't make it to the top 50? I'm not reading JL. Does it make sense?
    That's just on the first chart, which ranks the books by "units". The second chart just below that, "Top 50 Comic Books by Dollars – July 2021" has both issue #64 (21st place) and issue #65 (43rd place).

And if memory serves me right, back when we use to have just Diamond Distribution providing charts based on how many issues were ordered by comic book shops, titles that had two issues released in the same month frequently would have the issue released earlier in the month ranking much higher than the issue released later in that same month.

Which makes sense since people don't always buy an issue the week it comes out. The earlier it comes out the more likely it is the sooner it reaches a certain level of sales.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not really sure what to take away from that...

Market has recovered from pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not really sure what to take away from that...
    Sales are up, so even though a book may not be doing well in the rankings, it still might be selling higher than it’s position would imply. That’s my takeaway.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Wtf, how are sales so much higher than they were in 2019? Like, I think DC is definitely in a much better place creatively, but I didn't think that would make a difference at all.

Wow, the new Superman initiative went over like a lead balloon. You’d think a Superman #1 issue written by Morrison would at least break the top 20. Not much excitement for Jon taking over the mantle either.

I think the Morrison thing is surprising, but the Jon Kent thing is what a lot of people have been saying would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wtf, how are sales so much higher than they were in 2019? Like, I think DC is definitely in a much better place creatively, but I didn't think that would make a difference at all.
    2019 June had 4 weeks, 2021 June had 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Wow, the new Superman initiative went over like a lead balloon. You’d think a Superman #1 issue written by Morrison would at least break the top 20. Not much excitement for Jon taking over the mantle either.
    Morrison isn't really at the level anymore to get big sales for every project and there is a big "meh" surrounding this new direction for Superman.