Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hardware: Curtis Metcalf Appreciation Thread 2021

Created by: Dwayne McDuffie (writer), Denys Cowan (artist)

First appearance: Hardware #1 (February 1993)

Abilities: Curtis Metcalf is an exceptional genius, considered one of the most brilliant scientific minds on the planet. He has created breakthroughs in metallurgy, computer science, nanotechnology, and plasma weapons, and is also an highly dangerous hand-to-hand combatant, having been trained by his father in the martial arts. While he possess no superhuman abilities on his own, all of Curtis' incredible feats as Hardware are derive from a sophisticated suit of armor called Hardware Version 2.0. Arguably his greatest invention, the suit successfully integrates cutting edge human technology with that of the incredibly advanced alien civilization, the Cooperative.
    The suit consists of two layers, the basic interior armor and the external armor.

The basic armor is a plasticized metal alloy of Curtis' own design. Using a device called the Shell Forge, Hardware coats his body from head to toe with this dark material. Once polarized, the shell serves as a second skin and an impact-resistant foundation upon which his external armor rests. though not completely bulletproof, the shell is highly bullet resistant and can easily shrug off small caliber gunfire as well as protection against low-level energy attacks like electricity and laser beams. The shell's most formidable feature is the programmable polymers integrated into its structure. These polymers enable the shell to stretch and contract like human muscle, but with considerably greater force, which increases Hardware's natural strength to superhuman levels. Initially, the shell amplifies Curtis's strength to the point he can lift (press) several tons. The polymers in the shell can also "remember" movements that Curtis programs into them that he can trigger at a later time. Curtis has programmed complex martial art katas into the polymers that when activated enable him to unleash a high-speed combination of blows. It is due to this feature that Curtis refers to his basic armor as his "smart suit". The drawback to the basic armor is that while wearing it Hardware cannot eat or drink.

The external systems of Hardware's armor are stored within the nano-robot housing pods in his helmet and shoulder pads and is powered by high efficiency batteries called power packs installed in the shoulder pads. The helmet includes a Multi-Optics Display Unit (MODU) with wide-range spectral scanning capabilities, enabling Hardware to see in wavelengths beyond the visible spectrum including infrared, ultraviolet, and magnetic resonance imaging. The MODU is fully integrated into the tracking and target sub-system.The target sub-system determines target acquisition by following Hardware's eye movements and then fires on verbal command. Hardware also uses the tracking system to send hands-free visual commands to his onboard computer, DOBIE. Besides the input systems, his helmet contains a wide-band radio receiver capable of scanning radio traffic, a chronometer, radar (early warning and ground penetrating), a chemical residue analyzer, and other sensor instruments.
    Housed in the chin guard of Hardware's helmet is his speech synthesizer which gives him a unique and chilling voice while in the suit. The synthesizer also enables him to reproduce other voices, which is useful for undercover missions. The synthesizer can also translate foreign languages thanks to a built-in Omni-Linguistic Communicator (OmLinC). the OmLinC can analyze and translate any unfamiliar language, human or alien, in seconds.
    The aforementioned nano-robots replicate themselves into pre-programmed forms. When released from their pods, the robots begin rapidly constructing Hardware's external armor from the shoulder pads down.Hence, he can don his armor in seconds. Once empty, the nano-robot pods can be used by Hardware for other storage.
    Hardware's external armor is highly resistant to damage. If the armor is breached, the nano-robots composing it are programmed to replicate themselves to repair the damage. The armor is equipped with defense mechanisms to repel anyone who tries to remove it. these defenses is a high voltage electric charge generated by the armor's surface. Hardware's armor also comes equiped with jet boots that enable him to fly

Essential Reading
    • -
    • -
    • -

[stay militant my friends...]

-----

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    At the end of the year, all Appreciation threads are closed and new threads for the coming year are put in place.

Appreciation threads are for just that - Appreciation. Not for debate, not for slamming and not for bringing other characters down by comparison.~

Commence appreciating! :-)
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

I just came here to state for the record that HARDWARE was using nanotech many years BEFORE Ironman.

Mighty Member

Anyone else think they need to get rid of that chain-hook thing?

Shouldn't he have a tractor beam instead?

Extraordinary Member

I’m afraid people might dismiss him as black Ironman or cyborg retread

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I’m afraid people might dismiss him as black Ironman or cyborg retread

My response to that would be that Tomy Stark and Curtis Metcalf are two completely different people with different sets of goals and motivations.

Tony Stark was a product of nepotism while Curtis had to earn his way up another white man's company. Until he found a glass ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Anyone else think they need to get rid of that chain-hook thing?

Shouldn't he have a tractor beam instead?
    nah, I think Hardware's chain and overall aesthetic works because it's looks more primal warrior than robot tank suit, which not only works thematically for his character but it also sets him apart from an Iron Man type.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    I just came here to state for the record that HARDWARE was using nanotech many years BEFORE Ironman.
    Well, McDuffie had a notable science/engineering background, so he was always good at incorporating that stuff in the projects he was involved with.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Well, McDuffie had a notable science/engineering background, so he was always good at incorporating that stuff in the projects he was involved with.
    Thank goodness for that

I am just glad that Hardware has that one fact that puts him ahead of Ironman.

Hardware’s first appearance in April 1993 just barely predates Steel’s first appeared in The Adventures of Superman in June 1993. I wonder if it was just a coincidence or if DC somehow learned about Hardware beforehand.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Hardware’s first appearance in April 1993 just barely predates Steel’s first appeared in The Adventures of Superman in June 1993. I wonder if it was just a coincidence or if DC somehow learned about Hardware beforehand.
    Could've been coincidence since armored heroes were big back then like War Machine, X-O Manowar, or even Spawn, technically (even though his look was more like Venom meets Dr. Strange). That said, DC did publish Milestone, so it's possible...

Incredible Member

While i do like the characters background story to a degree i've never been a fan of his armor design. Hopefully it will be updated / slightly modified in 2021 in order to make it more appealing from an artistic perspective. The first image head shot in this thread is subtly different while still clearly being "classic" in its design. More of that would appeal to me.
    Don't complain. Create.

BANNED

I liked his Young Justice design.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I liked his Young Justice design.

I really don't. Not only is it missing The Shell (which i feel is a vital part of his aesthetic) but i feel it lacks the ferocity or idiosyncrasy of his OG designs. What i've always appreciated about Hardware is how wild, powerful, and intimidating his armor looked. the mask, the chains, the blades, the crazy random pieces of tech everywhere, it always reminded me how of how otherworldly and overwhelming the masquerades used to look to me as a kid. but this design? this design could just about be any armor suit character. the only thing that really lets you know its Hardware is the helmet, and even then it's only vaguely reminiscent. I'm all for updating Hardware but not if "modernizing" him just means making him look like Cyborg, or War Machine, or Ironman.

I've (more or less) made my peace with the fact that they've foregone the Pan-African colors for Icon for a simple red and black color scheme (i'm lying, i'm really not at peace) but the day they get rid of The Shell for Hardware and make him "Black Ironman™" is the day DC lets me know that they don't get these character and shoulda left them retired.

currently following:

Mighty Member

HARDWARE #1- Milestone returns review

Man, the new Hardware #1 is painfully bad. Cowan's art is NOT right for Hardware and why hasn't Hardware's tech not advanced in the last 25years, still using GIANT ROCKETS. WTF?!?

Why didn't they give Hardware some suit redesign like they did for Icon?

And what is with Cowan as constant zooming in panels.

Why should I route for Hardware when he is just killing helicopter pilots without showing any sign of remorse, not even remotely.

And if Alva Industries is really advanced, why TF are they using giant helicopters instead of drones?!?

Hardware is supposed to be the super hi+tech character of Milestone Media but looks stuck in the late 80s. The art should have been clean and pristine.

The story makes Metcalf seriously hyper-egotistical almost to the point of narcissism because he is unsympathetic to those he hurts in his war with Alva. All for the sake of clout?....At least Punisher has a faaar better reason and justification for his vengeance- the murder of his family while Hardware's vengeance is for clout. WTF!.

And if he is supposed to be the tech-head super genius of Milestone-verse, why not create ways to take down attack copters without killing the pilots?!?

Icon n Rocket #1 and Static #1 & 2 were much MUCH BETTER than this travesty!!!

My goodness I had very high hopes for Hardware. I will not be returning to this new Hardware until some big creative changes are made.... so I will be sticking to Static and Icon n Rocket.