Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A New Exorcist Trilogy?

Not a reboot, but rather Exorcist 4, 5, and 6 (well, 5, 6, and 7 depending on if one counts the prequel).

A new trilogy continuing the story of "The Exorcist" will have original star Ellen Burstyn reprising her role of Chris MacNeil, a mom whose daughter Regan, played by Linda Blair, begins exhibiting strange behavior.
    Burstyn, who was nominated for an Oscar for the role, will start alongside "Hamilton" actor Leslie Odom Jr. as a father tracking MacNeil down when his daughter is possessed.
    The first film in the series is set to be released in October 2023. The next two may be scheduled for streaming.

The film is not a remake of the original, instead the new films will be a continuation of the 1973 horror classic.

Source

Well that's unexpected. Got a funny feeling the events of Exorcist 2 won't be mentioned in any fashion, though.

Wait, when did we transition back from "studio announces new cinematic universe that will never happen" to just "studio announces new trilogy that will never happen" again?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Wait, when did we transition back from "studio announces new cinematic universe that will never happen" to just "studio announces new trilogy that will never happen" again?
    Slow news night I guess. I heard it on the news said wtf, googled it, came here.

This one says Universal is shelling out 400 mill plus a director has been chosen, David Gordon Green (the current Halloween trilogy).

I don't know, seems like its gonna happen. I only know the director from Halloween 2018 and I liked it, so, this will probably be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Why do you think it'll never happen?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    There isn't a great track record for these kinds of announcements.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There isn't a great track record for these kinds of announcements.
    Yeah, what usually happens is that these studios investigate the source material more and they find out that certain things or characters are not politically correct.

For example, Pazuzu calls Regan the c-word towards the end of this scene, among other politically incorrect statements throughout the movie.

So the studio will then have to decide whether to
    (1) shelve the project altogether, or
    (2) Update Pazuzu for modern times

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Yeah, what usually happens is that these studios investigate the source material more and they find out that certain things or characters are not politically correct.

For example, Pazuzu calls Regan the c-word towards the end of this scene, among other politically incorrect statements throughout the movie.

I don't think horror movies care about being politically correct. But they would have to update. Hell, watching that first movie the craziest thing I see now is Chris MacNeil lighting up in the doctor's office.

It's an... odd choice to follow Chris. One wonders exactly what stories they have to tell involving her?

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post

(3) use a different demon altogether

So, (2) and/or (3).

Pazuzu was only named in part 2*, and honestly I'll be really surprised if they mention that movie at all. They may, but I doubt it. Even if "we know" its Pazuzu, statues and all, they never used that name except in that movie so that gives them some wiggle room. Blatty himself said "It could be Pazuzu or 'Old Scratch' himself" in regards to Karras's possession in Exorcist 3.

*= If Pazuzu was name dropped in the two prequels, apologies. Both are kinda exhausting (though for different reasons) so I'm not in a rush to see them again. But I was talking mainly about 1 and 3.

Astonishing Member

What possible story do they have to tell? Both The Exorcist and Legion got adapted (Legion was altered from the novel in Exorcist 3). The tv series a few years ago had Reagan as a adult. ExorcistThe Beginning focused on Father Merrin.

As others have said, I doubt this will go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    What possible story do they have to tell? Both The Exorcist and Legion got adapted (Legion was altered from the novel in Exorcist 3). The tv series a few years ago had Reagan as a adult. ExorcistThe Beginning focused on Father Merrin.

As others have said, I doubt this will go anywhere.
    I imagine someone pitched an original story, and I imagine they pitched it as a trilogy. So I wouldn't be surprised if it does go somewhere. I doubt they'll let a lack of source material stop them (I didn't even know it was from a novel).

Astonishing Member

I imagine someone pitched an original story, and I imagine they pitched it as a trilogy. So I wouldn't be surprised if it does go somewhere. I doubt they'll let a lack of source material stop them (I didn't even know it was from a novel).
    You have Exorcist and Exorcist 3 was based on the sequel novel Legion (it really should have been called Legion or Exorcist: Legion).

This whole thing seem superfluous to me. It is like that prequel to Pet Sematary we are supposed to be getting. The problem with the various Exorcist sequels, prequels or tv series is that each attempt to expand that world has taken the mystery from it. Every conceivable plot thread we had questions about from the original film have been answered:

• what happened to Reagan? Well, she ended up in a shitty sequel.
    • What about Father Karras? Well, he survived his fall due to being possessed at the time and Pazuzu took revenge by putting the spirit of the Gemini Killer in him.
    • What about Father Dryer? Gemini Killer possesses a dementia patient and kills him.
    • Lt Kinderman? He is forced to confront his beliefs and ends up killing Father Karras/Gemini Killer.
    • where did Father Merrin first do battle with Pazuzu? The young boy he ended up Exorcising? Exorcist: The Beginning.
    • What about adult Reagan? Well, she changed her name, had a family, but allows herself to get repossessed to save her daughter. In return, under possession, she kills her mother and the demons, once she exercises them, breaks her neck in revenge.

I suppose the sequel idea of focusing on Chris McNeil is one of the few things that could work (especially if it's a mixture of present day/flashback). But, that aside, the only good thing this might do is wipe that tv series away.

Remaking it is a no go. Because it was done perfectly the first time (direction, casting and the fact the books author wrote the script/screenplay). It really depends on who pitched it too. It has to be a passion project (ala Halloween 2018) and it can't follow the other exorcism based films from the last 10 - 15 with crappy cgi and jump scares.