Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default A New Exorcist Trilogy?

Not a reboot, but rather Exorcist 4, 5, and 6 (well, 5, 6, and 7 depending on if one counts the prequel).

A new trilogy continuing the story of "The Exorcist" will have original star Ellen Burstyn reprising her role of Chris MacNeil, a mom whose daughter Regan, played by Linda Blair, begins exhibiting strange behavior.
    Burstyn, who was nominated for an Oscar for the role, will start alongside "Hamilton" actor Leslie Odom Jr. as a father tracking MacNeil down when his daughter is possessed.
    The first film in the series is set to be released in October 2023. The next two may be scheduled for streaming.

The film is not a remake of the original, instead the new films will be a continuation of the 1973 horror classic.

Source

Well that's unexpected. Got a funny feeling the events of Exorcist 2 won't be mentioned in any fashion, though.

Wait, when did we transition back from "studio announces new cinematic universe that will never happen" to just "studio announces new trilogy that will never happen" again?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Wait, when did we transition back from "studio announces new cinematic universe that will never happen" to just "studio announces new trilogy that will never happen" again?
    Slow news night I guess. I heard it on the news said wtf, googled it, came here.

This one says Universal is shelling out 400 mill plus a director has been chosen, David Gordon Green (the current Halloween trilogy).

I don't know, seems like its gonna happen. I only know the director from Halloween 2018 and I liked it, so, this will probably be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Why do you think it'll never happen?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    There isn't a great track record for these kinds of announcements.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There isn't a great track record for these kinds of announcements.
    Yeah, what usually happens is that these studios investigate the source material more and they find out that certain things or characters are not politically correct.

For example, Pazuzu calls Regan the c-word towards the end of this scene, among other politically incorrect statements throughout the movie.

So the studio will then have to decide whether to
    (1) shelve the project altogether, or
    (2) Update Pazuzu for modern times

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What possible story do they have to tell? Both The Exorcist and Legion got adapted (Legion was altered from the novel in Exorcist 3). The tv series a few years ago had Reagan as a adult. ExorcistThe Beginning focused on Father Merrin.

As others have said, I doubt this will go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Yeah, what usually happens is that these studios investigate the source material more and they find out that certain things or characters are not politically correct.

For example, Pazuzu calls Regan the c-word towards the end of this scene, among other politically incorrect statements throughout the movie.

I don't think horror movies care about being politically correct. But they would have to update. Hell, watching that first movie the craziest thing I see now is Chris MacNeil lighting up in the doctor's office.

It's an... odd choice to follow Chris. One wonders exactly what stories they have to tell involving her?

Just so we're clear...can folks see the links I post? I've long held a theory I'm one of the few who prefers to only visit forums on desktop. Cellphones, some things may be missing, like hotlinks.

Cause it seems weird I'm posting sources, and still getting "Nu-uh".

Its literally a done deal, unless Universal has 400 million to sink into projects that go nowhere.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...181719611.html

The New York Times, which first reported the news, says that the deal for the franchise was upwards of $400 million. CAA negotiated the deal, marking the second high-profile deal the agency has negotiated in the last sixth months after the equally staggering $450 million+ Netflix spent on the "Knives Out" sequels.

Ok, never seen Knives Out but...cool for the fans of that movie that they're getting sequels, too.

What story could they tell = they'll make up one? Though its kinda ironic folks are saying that vs "typical Hollywood cash grab" cause it looks more like the latter, if not for the director. It literally looks like Universal said "We like what you did with Halloween, do it again for the Exorcist." I think he'll try to honor the original while crafting a new updated story. Maybe they're saving Linda Blair for one of the sequels.

Frankly I wish David Gordon Green would tackle Jason next, but the Friday the 13th rights are a nightmare at the moment (pun intended). William Peter Blatty passed back in 2017, but he had 7 kids, maybe someone from his estate is helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

Its literally a done deal, unless Universal has 400 million to sink into projects that go nowhere.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...181719611.html

So, about that...

https://www.theringer.com/movies/202...-invisible-man

A Eulogy for Universal’s “Dark Universe”

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I don't think horror movies care about being politically correct. But they would have to update. Hell, watching that first movie the craziest thing I see now is Chris MacNeil lighting up in the doctor's office.

It's an... odd choice to follow Chris. One wonders exactly what stories they have to tell involving her?
    Not really as odd as it might seem at first.

Think about the Fox series. They could just lay out the time between the film and the series.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yes, about that. It had two attempts, Dracula Untold and then The Mummy with Tom Cruise before they figured out it wasn't working.

Following the same logic, we're at least getting the first movie since its already lined up the director, stars, and date. If it bombs, well that's that. Or, they'll try again years later but the trilogy idea will be thrown out the window.

Thanks, though, was wondering if folks read my links, at least you do.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post

(3) use a different demon altogether

So, (2) and/or (3).

Pazuzu was only named in part 2*, and honestly I'll be really surprised if they mention that movie at all. They may, but I doubt it. Even if "we know" its Pazuzu, statues and all, they never used that name except in that movie so that gives them some wiggle room. Blatty himself said "It could be Pazuzu or 'Old Scratch' himself" in regards to Karras's possession in Exorcist 3.

*= If Pazuzu was name dropped in the two prequels, apologies. Both are kinda exhausting (though for different reasons) so I'm not in a rush to see them again. But I was talking mainly about 1 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Yes, about that. It had two attempts, Dracula Untold and then The Mummy with Tom Cruise before they figured out it wasn't working.

Following the same logic, we're at least getting the first movie since its already lined up the director, stars, and date. If it bombs, well that's that. Or, they'll try again years later but the trilogy idea will be thrown out the window.

Thanks, though, was wondering if folks read my links, at least you do.
    While that's certainly one possibility?

I can also very easily see where the company might have learned it's lesson as far as when it is time to cut bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    What possible story do they have to tell? Both The Exorcist and Legion got adapted (Legion was altered from the novel in Exorcist 3). The tv series a few years ago had Reagan as a adult. ExorcistThe Beginning focused on Father Merrin.

As others have said, I doubt this will go anywhere.
    I imagine someone pitched an original story, and I imagine they pitched it as a trilogy. So I wouldn't be surprised if it does go somewhere. I doubt they'll let a lack of source material stop them (I didn't even know it was from a novel).