Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think the Adam Strange DC Showcase short was a better "dark" Adam Strange story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the Adam Strange DC Showcase short was a better "dark" Adam Strange story.
    It's dark IF Adam isn't pulling some sort of trick. Many Silver Age stories had Superman or Batman pretending to do something wacky and evil to trick the villain. This may be no different except it's written with a 21st century mindset for adults. If Adam isn't pulling a scam, then it's still a good story about why someone turns against a world, but Adam as a character is a bad one to use.

As for the swearing, I can see using it, but here and in Mr Miracle, the ^&(*^%^ seems very childish. It's an adult book. Use the damn actual words.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Amazing Member

I don't see much wiggle room for plan/trick considering Phoenix has a confirmed body count. Maybe it's left to interpretation whether it was truly Adam. Like, aboard the control ship they find body doubles of Adam and the murdered guy.

"The Green Knight congratulates Gawayne on surviving. But Gawayne feels only shame for his failure in not keeping his honor."

Astonishing Member

It's Black Label so not in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by I.Strange View Post
    I don't see much wiggle room for plan/trick considering Phoenix has a confirmed body count. Maybe it's left to interpretation whether it was truly Adam. Like, aboard the control ship they find body doubles of Adam and the murdered guy.

"The Green Knight congratulates Gawayne on surviving. But Gawayne feels only shame for his failure in not keeping his honor."
    Phoenix is the one major flaw in the plan. If Adam has a plan and the JL is helping him with it, them accepting such collateral damage is even more unbelievable than Adam thinking he can fool Batman, even if Terrific did the investigation. Maybe Alanna wakes up and finds Adam in the shower.

I remember that JLA story by Waid where Adam pretends to be evil and I thought it sucked real bad. Can things change in the last issue? Sure, but would it be "earned"? So far in 11 issues we didn't get any clues that there might be more at work here, we are just speculating that there might be more solely because Adam was a hero so he can't go down like this. And its not like him having some master plan would change anything radically, he still would be a war criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I remember that JLA story by Waid where Adam pretends to be evil and I thought it sucked real bad. Can things change in the last issue? Sure, but would it be "earned"? So far in 11 issues we didn't get any clues that there might be more at work here, we are just speculating that there might be more solely because Adam was a hero so he can't go down like this. And its not like him having some master plan would change anything radically, he still would be a war criminal.
    I am pretty sure King is looking to throw some "war criminal" on Adam here. But your observation about speculation does pretty much fit me.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I am pretty sure King is looking to throw some "war criminal" on Adam here. But your observation about speculation does pretty much fit me.
    To be fair, the series is about (mis)perception and the question of Adam's character.

Tom King Parallaxes every character he touches. If this was an in-continuity book, I'd assume the intent was to destroy Adam Strange and make him unusable for future writers. I do not understand why a writer would deliberately damage a character in this way.
    Last edited by andersonh1; 08-05-2021 at 07:41 AM.

My guess is this sounded better as a concept than in execution. Sure, it's not like Strange has his own book that this will conflict with. Still, I am not a fan of character assassination. "Oh look! This decades old hero is really an evil SOB". It's a too easy twist for shock value. But my other main complaint, and I am not sure if King wanted this or DC dictated it, is this story does not warrant 12 issues, it could easily have been told in half that.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This isn't a story about Adam being evil, it's a story about him being terrified and choosing his family over the world he was born in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    This isn't a story about Adam being evil, it's a story about him being terrified and choosing his family over the world he was born in.
    And committing war crimes!

Amazing Member

I wonder if we'll see Aleea in the final issue. I like how the conspiracy has been no show, all tell. Appropriate to the real world, where what we know is largely based on what others say.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    My guess is this sounded better as a concept than in execution. Sure, it's not like Strange has his own book that this will conflict with. Still, I am not a fan of character assassination. "Oh look! This decades old hero is really an evil SOB". It's a too easy twist for shock value. But my other main complaint, and I am not sure if King wanted this or DC dictated it, is this story does not warrant 12 issues, it could easily have been told in half that.
    Bingo. The long form of it all made me believe there had to be more going on to justify the length.

N O P E.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And committing war crimes!
    Yeah that too