Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday Mark Bagley!!!

Mark Bagley is an American comic book artist. He has worked for Marvel Comics on such titles as The Amazing Spider-Man, Thunderbolts, New Warriors, and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Mark Bagley was born to a military family in Frankfurt, Germany. He had always wanted to break into the comic book business.
    At age 18, he joined the military so that he could qualify for the GI Bill and go to art school.
    After his work in the military and art school (at Ringling College of Art and Design), Bagley continued trying to break into the comic industry but ended up working for Lockheed Martin making technical drawings.

In 1983, Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter created the Marvel Try-out Book to draw new talent into the comic book industry.
    The contest involved a deconstructed comic book which contestants could complete and submit to Marvel. The winner would be awarded a professional assignment with Marvel.
    At 27 years old, while living in Marietta, Georgia, Bagley entered the contest and won first place for penciling, beating out thousands of other hopefuls.
    This led to a series of low-profile penciling jobs, including Visionaries, a comic book based on a 1980s toy line, books in New Universe line, and backup stories in Captain America.
    A majority of Bagley's work during this time was for the first series of Marvel Universe trading cards.

In 1990, Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz created a team of teenage superheroes called the New Warriors.
    Given the positive fan reaction, Marvel created a new series based on these heroes and assigned Bagley and Fabian Nicieza to the title.
    Bagley stayed on the title until #25, at which point he left to transition directly onto Amazing Spider-Man.

A couple of years into the New Warriors run, New Warriors editor Danny Fingeroth became responsible for the Spider-Man line of titles.
    At the same time, Erik Larsen vacated his spot as penciler on Spider-Man's flagship title The Amazing Spider-Man.
    Fingeroth decided to take a chance on Bagley, who was a relatively inexperienced artist to be assigned to what was arguably Marvel's flagship title.
    After a rough start, Bagley hit his stride on The Amazing Spider-Man and eventually grew to be considered the definitive Spider-Man artist of the mid-1990s.
    His artwork was used extensively for licensed material, appearing on everything from plates and cups to credit cards.

Bagley also holds the distinction of being the artist on Marvel's first web-based comic book, featuring Spider-Man, which appeared on Marvel's official website.

After working on Spider-Man for several years, Bagley began to feel burnt out.
    Needing a change, he next collaborated with writer Kurt Busiek on a new team of superheroes, the Thunderbolts.
    The title enjoyed modest success and though its sales declined over time, the decline was so slow and the fan base was so dedicated that the title continued to be published even after Bagley left the title in 2001 (with issue #50).

Bill Jemas, publisher at Marvel in the year 2000, was looking to relaunch Marvel's primary franchises in a way that would make them accessible to younger readers.
    Designed as a six-issue mini series, Ultimate Spider-Man would be a title that began the Spider-Man mythos from the beginning set in modern times.
    Marvel wanted Bagley on the title from the beginning, but, still being burnt out from his earlier run, he resisted.
    Eventually though, he (reluctantly) agreed and was assigned Ultimate Spider-Man with writer Brian Michael Bendis.
    The title was an instant hit and soon turned from a limited series to an ongoing series by Bendis and Bagley.
    They went on to enjoy the longest continuous run of any creative team on a mainstream Marvel superhero comic, beating the record set by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby with Ultimate Spider-Man #103 (published in December 2006). Bagley eventually left the title after issue #111 was published in July 2007.

Bagley and his wife Pattie have a daughter, Angie. He also has two grandchildren.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Mark Bagley!!!

Kaine

and

Ben

by Mark Bagley

Incredible Member

Happy Birthday to Mark!

He know's how to make a panel really sizzle with energy. I think back to the first Doctor Octopus storyline, "Double Trounle", in Ultimate Spider-Man and how much pizzazz they have. Pair Mark with the right inker and colorist, and he draws some of the best superhero comics in the industry.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

It was this image that got me into comics in the first place:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

BANNED

Happy birthday to my favourite Spidey artist!

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Mark Bagley!!!

Mark Bagley draws Spider-Man & Venom | Marvel Quickdraw

https://louisvillesupercon.com/mark-bagley/

Happy belated birthday, good sir.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

Yeah, JRJr, Marcos Martin, Ditko and others are great, but Bagley is my favorite artist BAR NONE! And has been since I picked up my first Spidey comic ASM#352 from the spinner rack in the early 90s. I couldn’t believe how dynamic and fluid and just beautiful his art was. No one else compared. I think he really hit his peak in the late 90s and early 2000s with Thunderbolts and Ultimate Spidey respectively. Some of the best art ever seen in comics period. Although it was far from his best work, I was really disappointed when he left the recent Scarlet Spider after only 5 issues. His okay work is still superior to the best work of 95% of the other artists in the field. Anyway, salut Mark. Here’s to many more decades of drawing Spidey!
    Btw, how old is the Bag Man today?

I hope my favorite Marvel Comics illustrator had a great birthday
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

BANNED

Happy birthday to one of the most definitive Spider-Man artists for the 90's.
    Here is my tribute for him...Φωτογραφία0223.jpg

BANNED

Double post... I apologize!

This dude was *my* Spider-Man artist for the longest time. You could see his style and work all over everything, from trading cards to video games. Hell, I'll even go so far to say that art carried a lot of 90's Spider-Man on it's back. My tastes may have changed since then, but Bagley will always be a Marvel institution to me. Plus, what a workhorse.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Happy Birthday Mark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Happy Birthday to Mark!

He know's how to make a panel really sizzle with energy.
    Does he ever!

I think back to the first Doctor Octopus storyline, "Double Trounle", in Ultimate Spider-Man and how much pizzazz they have.
    Pair Mark with the right inker and colorist, and he draws some of the best superhero comics in the industry.
    He does, yes!