Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default One More Day Question for Spider-Man Fans

How do you get past the whole deal Peter and MJ made in the OMD story? I really want to get into SM but I just can't get past that one issue. I love USM so that's where I get my spider fix from currently.
    Last edited by CoffeeCup; 08-25-2014 at 06:49 AM.

You either can read the stories that come out as is, and enjoy them for their current quality. Or don't.
    Marvel already sees it that they have addressed their problems with Spider-Man, so they won't view going back to OMD as fixing anything. If you can't get into it, thats ok. At the end of the day it's whether or not you want to read the stories that come out.

BTW great choice in reading USM.

Extraordinary Member

Just ignore it ever happened

I didn't get over it. I haven't read any Spider-man story past that one.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

There are 3 ways to get past this: 1. do what DebroX said and just ignore it and pretend it never happened or 2. Do what Pharozonk said and never read a Spider-Man story again. or 3. do what everyone else does and continue to read Spider-Man stories but continuously complain about OMD and with every new story arc that comes out create ridiculous scenarios that start with or have the basis of "This is it, this is how they are finally going to retcon OMD" and then be disappointed when it doesn't happen then rinse and repeat with the next Spider-Man arc or event.

BANNED

Same way I deal with the "Sins Past" debacle - refuse to even think about lest you go insane.

I wasn't bothered by it in the first place.

I understand why Marvel did it.

And it would have fit Peter's character to take the deal.

There were serious flaws in the story, although that's hardly unique to One More Day, or to Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

I'm still not over it.

That said, I greatly enjoyed the "Superior Spider-Man" story, which was the first new Spidey book I actually picked up after "OMD." In a lot of ways, I felt like it was Peter's karmic payback for giving up his marriage, and I think it did help to win back a lot of fans who also felt cheated by "OMD." I have no interest in the new "Amazing," but I'm reading the "Superior" tie-ins to "Spider-Verse" and also reading "Spider-Man 2099."

Basically, I'll read anything with Kaine, Otto or Miguel, but Peter doesn't interest me anymore.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

You either get over it or you don't. Usually your two options.

Or you enjoy the story like I did. But only cool people get that third option.

I just treat the Spider-Man series as if it ran from the 1960's to the late 80's and then ended, and was then relaunched during BND. There were a lot of fun and well written stories during the marriage, (Captain Universe Spidey! Harry Osborn's death, etc.) that I try not to think too hard about.

I didn't care for OMD, because it was a Faust-type story that didn't follow the rules (either you deal with the devil and get screwed over, or you outsmart him, this wasn't present in the original story, and MJ's side deal in OMIT didn't seem that particularly clever of a resolution) but growing up with a married Peter Parker I was interested in reading about him as a single guy in the 616.
    (I hate the Ultimate Universe and rereading old issues isn't quite the same when you know that relationships with Gwen, Debra, etc. aren't going to work out.) Unfortunately for me, no BND writer really wanted to explore Pete's love life outside of the occasional fling (Black Cat, Michelle) in the early stages and Slott's Carlie was a bore. (I won't lie, I LIKE the soap opera romance element in my Spidey books. Pre-BND Peter was the kind of guy that wanted love and a stable relationship, it just usually didn't work out for him!)

Basically, you just have to enjoy the current books on their own merits. It's be nice if character growth and continuity didn't have to be jettisoned but that's how Marvel works nowadays, always looking for quick gimmicks and movie tie-ins to attract new audiences; they aren't too concerned with loyal fans because they will generally keep buying it regardless. (Even when we hate it.)
    Last edited by Vegeta; 08-25-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    How do you get past the whole deal Peter and MJ made in the OMD story?
    Just look at it glass half-full.

By dropping ASM, and indeed any book featuring the the timey-wimey alternate Peter immediately after OMD, I've saved meself at least £800 to date.

How do you get past the whole deal Peter and MJ made in the OMD story? I really want to get into SM but I just can't get past that one issue. I love USM so that's where I get my spider fix from currently.
    This is an odd thing for me to say as a defender of what happened in One More Day, but one thing I've noticed is that there are numerous reasons given for hating the story with a passion. Some people didn't like the erasure of the marriage. Some people didn't think Peter and MJ would make a deal with Mephisto. Some people didn't think that the continuity could have remained intact to the extend it did. And there are some other objections as well.

What is the part that you feel you can't get past?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

There is no hope for you, IMO. Sorry. Find a different hobby.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is an odd thing for me to say as a defender of what happened in One More Day, but one thing I've noticed is that there are numerous reasons given for hating the story with a passion. Some people didn't like the erasure of the marriage. Some people didn't think Peter and MJ would make a deal with Mephisto. Some people didn't think that the continuity could have remained intact to the extend it did.

What is the part that you feel you can't get past?
    It's a little of all three, to be honest, but the second one is the most knee-jerkingly painful. The erasure aspect is frustrating as well, in that so many wonderful aspects of their marriage were waved out of existence, which makes it look like Joe Quesada simply couldn't find a rational, mature way for Peter and MJ's relationship to end.

They had already tried killing MJ--that didn't go over well. Having them divorce would have added extra baggage, made both seem older and alienated fans anyway. So from that perspective I can see why Quesada went for something outlandish ... but it doesn't change the unfairness of it all, and I think it was far cheaper and lazier to destroy their relationship than it would have been to write it well, as JMS, Tom DeFalco and Paul Jenkins all proved was possible.

Does Spider-Man being married automatically make him older/unrelatable? Of course not. There are plenty of young, married couples who face very real, very interesting struggles. Making Peter a *ahem* swinger does not make him a better character.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

Swinger. I don't think that word means what you think it means.