Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    This was posted in the MJ thread, but may have some relevancy here too

http://www.cbr.com/is-mary-jane-rele...rvel-universe/
    You have to wonder if there will be a point that fans will let go (and sorry if that's a Frozen trigger for someone), or if the franchise will literally "never live it down," as the expression goes.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    You have to wonder if there will be a point that fans will let go (and sorry if that's a Frozen trigger for someone), or if the franchise will literally "never live it down," as the expression goes.
    It's been 10 years. And as we saw at the recent London Super Comic Con, Marvel are still getting questions about OMD and the Spider-Marriage.

"Never live it down."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's been 10 years. And as we saw at the recent London Super Comic Con, Marvel are still getting questions about OMD and the Spider-Marriage.

"Never live it down."
    Sure, but a common opinion in some circles is that eventually the fans that can't let go will trickle out of the fanbase, leaving those who came in after the fact who presumably don't care. While that doesn't mean every new reader will feel that way -- I'm more or less of that demographic and am 100% pro-marriage (the Sam Raimi movies are literally the reason for that POV) -- I can see the logic that sooner or later, the protest will go away. I guess I'm wondering when that would likely happen. (I'm kinda sorta playing devil's advocate, given that I do think that the anti-OMD crowd isn't going anywhere anytime soon, based on how long it's lasted so far, which is basically long-term in comic book years).

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Sure, but a common opinion in some circles is that eventually the fans that can't let go will trickle out of the fanbase, leaving those who came in after the fact who presumably don't care. While that doesn't mean every new reader will feel that way -- I'm more or less of that demographic and am 100% pro-marriage (the Sam Raimi movies are literally the reason for that POV) -- I can see the logic that sooner or later, the protest will go away. I guess I'm wondering when that would likely happen. (I'm kinda sorta playing devil's advocate, given that I do think that the anti-OMD crowd isn't going anywhere anytime soon, based on how long it's lasted so far, which is basically long-term in comic book years).
    What exactly does anti-omd mean?
    Hates/dislike the story?

Wants the marriage restored with somehow keep current canon?

Spider-Man set back to pre-OMD?

I think of it more like Hank Pym's slapping Jan. Hank Pym will never live that down among the fandom (and the creators.) Doesn't seem to have much of an impact on sales when Pym does appear in comics.

BANNED

I think of it more like Hank Pym's slapping Jan. Hank Pym will never live that down among the fandom (and the creators.) Doesn't seem to have much of an impact on sales when Pym does appear in comics.
    In Jan and Hank's case they pretty much remember the slap, hence the continuous emphasis on it. Peter's devil deal is remembered by nobody except Deadpool, Mephisto, the readers and writers.

It's a shame about the slap because some writers have attempted in the past to have Jan and Hank move past it, even try to reconcile, but Marvel's aversion to stitching up ANY relationship they break are very rare so they never do get together permanently.

I might be wrong, but I think that happened in Hulk before Civil War II...Bruce and Betty got back together once all the Hulks were depowered (despite the fact Betty ordered a hit on Bruce), but by CW II, they were split up again without explanation.

I also remember Slott put Ben Grimm back with Alicia at the end of his Thing run, but they were broken up without explanation when Mark Miller took over Fantastic Four.

The only relationship Marvel have fixed since then has been Medusa and Black Bolt after I V X...and that was probably only for synergy with the tv show.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-05-2017 at 02:44 AM.

In Jan and Hank's case they pretty much remember the slap, hence the continuous emphasis on it. Peter's devil deal is remembered by nobody except Deadpool, Mephisto, the readers and writers.

It's a shame about the slap because some writers have attempted in the past to have Jan and Hank move past it, even try to reconcile, but Marvel's aversion to stitching up ANY relationship they break are very rare so they never do get together permanently.

I might be wrong, but I think that happened in Hulk before Civil War II...Bruce and Betty got back together once all the Hulks were depowered (despite the fact Betty ordered a hit on Bruce), but by CW II, they were split up again without explanation.

I also remember Slott put Ben Grimm back with Alicia at the end of his Thing run, but they were broken up without explanation when Mark Miller took over Fantastic Four.

The only relationship Marvel have fixed since then has been Medusa and Black Bolt after I V X...and that was probably only for synergy with the tv show.
    Characters breaking up and getting back together are a staple of ongoing serialized fiction. Look at DC. Does anyone actually know how many times Hal Jordan and Carol Ferris have broken up and gotten back together?

Characters breaking up and getting back together are a staple of ongoing serialized fiction. Look at DC. Does anyone actually know how many times Hal Jordan and Carol Ferris have broken up and gotten back together?
    Too many, and now Carol is in complete limbo. She hasn't made a single appearance anywhere since Rebirth. Meanwhile, Hal has not had any love interests at all.

But fans of Hal Jordan still seem to like Carol more than any other past or future potential love interest.

For the most part, I don't think people get tired of seeing the same love interest all the time (an attitude that is possibly a bit gross anyway). If anything, what people get far more tired of seeing is the constant will they or won't they, breaking up and getting back together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post
    Too many, and now Carol is in complete limbo. She hasn't made a single appearance anywhere since Rebirth.
    She made an appearance last year in a showcase comic for new talent at DC, where she continued her relationship with Kyle. She and Kyle broke up shortly after when Kyle was given his classic 90s look back and got more of a major focus in Hal's book

Didn't the end of Geoff John's run assure readers that, no matter what, they'd end up together eventually anyway? (sort of like how we got that flash forward of Peter and MJ together in the issues leading up to OMD?)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-05-2017 at 07:26 AM.

OMD question not reading Spider-Man regularly now I try to keep to though and here's my question. Ben Reilly is back and he took over for Peter not only because they believed Ben was the "real" Peter at the time but because MJ was pregnant and Peter saw it as a chance to live a life with his wife and child while Spider-Man would continue. So my question how is that addressed now or is it even is or just ignored? Because if ignored that's a big hole in the Ben Reilly Saga.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    OMD question not reading Spider-Man regularly now I try to keep to though and here's my question. Ben Reilly is back and he took over for Peter not only because they believed Ben was the "real" Peter at the time but because MJ was pregnant and Peter saw it as a chance to live a life with his wife and child while Spider-Man would continue. So my question how is that addressed now or is it even is or just ignored? Because if ignored that's a big hole in the Ben Reilly Saga.
    The Clone Conspriacy touched on Ben's origin and fate in "Revelations", but left out everything to do with the pregnancy. Instead, it just showed him spying on Peter saying goodnight to Aunt May in the bits which covered his decision to leave town. MJ didn't factor in at all.

She made an appearance last year in a showcase comic for new talent at DC, where she continued her relationship with Kyle. She and Kyle broke up shortly after when Kyle was given his classic 90s look back and got more of a major focus in Hal's book
    Ooh, I forgot about that showcase book. Now that is what you call an exception that proves the rule.

Didn't the end of Geoff John's run assure readers that, no matter what, they'd end up together eventually anyway? (sort of like how we got that flash forward of Peter and MJ together in the issues leading up to OMD?)
    Yes, but that's Geoff Johns. Reading between the lines, I get the feeling that Geoff Johns might fall somewhat outside the conventional wisdom on stuff like this. One of the most bizarre episodes during "New 52," if you recall, was when it leaked that Aquaman and Mera were no longer married. It came out in the strangest way. Dan DiDio made a comment about how none of DC's heroes were married--but everyone assumed that of course Aquaman and Mera were married, right? They must have been an exception ... right? Clarification came only when anonymous sources within DC finally confirmed the erasure of the marriage to journalists.

But those of us who had been reading Geoff Johns' Aquaman--for two years by that point!--had no idea. We all assumed they were still married. Because Geoff Johns had simply continued to write them as if they were married, even referring to Mera as Aquaman's "queen," and nary a hint to the contrary.
    Last edited by Vaegrin; 09-05-2017 at 08:49 AM.