Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I don't read Spider-Man all that much anymore. I read Superior, because I wanted to see Peter suffer, and I'll be reading Spiderverse but after that? Not touching Spider-Man comics ever again unless another Superior or Spiderverse happens.

The only way they can win me back is if they have Mephisto restore Peter's memory, reveals that Mary was forced to remember their past love together but had her "lips sealed" as per the deal(And Mary knowing that Peter pretty much killed their child and guilt tripped her into the deal), and Aunt May is made aware of Peter's horrible decision and really opens up on him about how he's shamed the family and have a period where she wont even look at Peter until she eventually forgives him. Than having Mary say that she still loves Peter, even after all the pain he put her through with his own selfishness and guilt, and forgives him even if she wont get back with him thus turning Mary into the Hero of the story who defeats Mephisto at his own game as he wouldn't be able to comprehend how Mary can still love and forgive Peter when she should hate Peter and want to see him suffer. Especially if Mephisto had Mary see the future where she had a child with Peter and than watching that future erased due to the deal.

This would all be because Mephisto wanted to truly destroy their pure love, so Mary forgiving and loving Peter even after OMD's truth is out in the open would be proof that Mephisto had failed.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 08-25-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Just another story in a long line that happened like 7 years ago. I just focus on the current story lines and what's coming up ahead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Generational mentality. Depicting sexual relations are more accepted today in comics.

But just to note: Black Cat he's had previous sexual relations with, Michelle was an accident, and he was in a relationship with Carlie.

Not exactly trolling a Sex Addicts Anonymous meeting.

Speaking of Black Cat she's a character that is most altered as a result of OMD.

She has no memory of her relationship with Peter who has been a major influence in her life. She hasn't even met Peter from her perspective because she met Peter via him revealing his identity to her. So, all memories of Peter being in her life got wiped from the mind wipe described in OMIT. Peter has to re-reveal his identity to her in order for her to be reformed into the character she was pre-OMD.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    Easy. He isn't supposed to be married.

Who says?

There was nothing wrong with a married Peter Parker.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker4730 View Post
    Who says?

There was nothing wrong with a married Peter Parker.
    Marvel disagree and it's their call, not yours.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is an odd thing for me to say as a defender of what happened in One More Day, but one thing I've noticed is that there are numerous reasons given for hating the story with a passion. Some people didn't like the erasure of the marriage. Some people didn't think Peter and MJ would make a deal with Mephisto. Some people didn't think that the continuity could have remained intact to the extend it did. And there are some other objections as well.

What is the part that you feel you can't get past?
    It was a story designed to negate progression. Yes, the medium is always going to have the "illusion of change", but the story was written not for proving that, but because the one time that "illusion" doesn't need to apply, that progression is destroyed because Peter isn't allowed to change. Over time, it feels less like Peter can't be married, it's that he can't be in a relationship with Mary Jane. Anyone else is fair game, but Mary Jane? No, she apparently has to be separated from Peter. And yet, it would be considered "rehashing" stories if they were to be reunited, even though the entire "point" of the story was supposedly to increase story potential. And yet, does anyone bother to explain what that story potential was?

It feels like the only "evidence" people have is to say that Carlie couldn't have played the role she did in Superior Spider-Man. However, that's because of her relationship with Peter. Say Mary Jane was the one who learned of the brain swap. How would she have failed where Carlie succeeded? And if you're saying that Superior Spider-Man proved Carlie's worth, congratulations! It took over 170 issues for Carlie to actually accomplish something good.

One More Day served only to bring Peter back to a point that made him "relatable", which is just ridiculous. Apparently the audience can't relate to Peter unless he's not married, but willing to sleep around, which to me just suggests that the only "story potential" to be had was just "Peter should be with people aside from Mary Jane." Except… why would you be against him being with Mary Jane? If you like him being with Mary Jane, why would you have a problem with them being married. I don't think it was primarily written for Peter's "benefit", but rather to Mary Jane's detriment.

The marriage was erased from existence to ensure that it couldn't be restored, which is horribly spiteful to people who liked the marriage. The deal with Mephisto is presented as the "ideal" option because the story is constructed to make every other option be "impossible", even in cases where they could be. Yes, I understand that a story must have stakes, but when someone could challenge the stakes, it is simply laziness to just say that they suddenly can't.

It is a story built on spiteful, lazy, hypocritical, narrow-minded, self-entitlement, and I don't see why anyone would accept it beyond them having a dislike for Mary Jane, but those people hide behind this idea that this is "for the best" with the franchise. The idea that Marvel interested in remarrying them is based on… what? That Tom Brevoort has said it's doubtful? That Dan Slott doesn't care about them? From what I understand of Tom Brevoort, he's only suggesting the possibility, believing it to be unlikely, but in spite of his position, he doesn't speak for everyone, and it's entirely possible that, should a writer come along with a good pitch, he could change his mind. In fact, doesn't he also make a slight comment that it would be possible to revisit there? It's basically "It could happen, but I doubt it." A good pitch would establish that someone can think of a good story that makes the relationship worth exploring, and adding something new to that dynamic.

What really makes it unlikely is that Slott is trying to avoid having Mary Jane be the primary love interest. Yes, she's still around, presumably because she's too "important" of a character to simply "disappear", but does anyone here honestly believe Slott wants them to be together? Does anyone think that characters like Cindy or Pedro exist to provide "obstacles" for Peter and MJ, showing them a relationship that might be perfect for them, only for Peter and MJ to reconcile eventually?

Oh, and by the way, Axel Alonso was the senior editor of the Spider-Man books at the time One More Day was written. Methinks certain people got their jobs because they were given a helping hand by Joe Quesada trusting people he thought would let One More Day stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker4730 View Post
    So, it's obvious what the fans want and as a result of that Marvel should undo the events of OMD.

Technically if that's what the fans want then they are only buying books for the possibility of Marvel perhaps doing such a thing, but sooner or later if Marvel doesn't go in the direction of undoing OMD then more people are likely to leave the book.
    If they haven't left in 7 years I doubt they'll be going anywhere soon.

Fantastic Member

It was one of the worst thi gs Marvel has ever done, and was a failure despite the success of the book since then. The best way to ignore it is to pretend post OMD is a separate universe to pre OMD (like ultimate) and that characters like MJ, Felicia and May are different in this universe like they were in ultimate. Felicia especially is a totally new character

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    How do you get past the whole deal Peter and MJ made in the OMD story? I really want to get into SM but I just can't get past that one issue. I love USM so that's where I get my spider fix from currently.
    Ignore it, skip straight to Big Time (the two-odd years of BND was worse, IMO, at least OMD was only four issues). Honestly, it's only still a HUGE deal to a relatively small number of people who simply can't get over it.

Bottom line, it's a comic. Take it a bit less seriously.

Current Spidey is very good. The unmarried status quo isn't my preference but it's that or let an editorial decision ruin my reading experience and keep me away from a character I love.

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    Marvel disagree and it's their call, not yours.
    Eleven posts on what fans want were moved to an existing thread on that topic.

tl;dr There is disagreement over the extent to which writers and editors should take input from the fans, and the extent to which they can ignore stated fan desires to make their own decisions about what stories work better.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Ignore it, skip straight to Big Time (the two-odd years of BND was worse, IMO, at least OMD was only four issues). Honestly, it's only still a HUGE deal to a relatively small number of people who simply can't get over it.

Bottom line, it's a comic. Take it a bit less seriously.

Current Spidey is very good. The unmarried status quo isn't my preference but it's that or let an editorial decision ruin my reading experience and keep me away from a character I love.
    "it's only still a HUGE deal to a relatively small number of people who simply can't get over it."

I beg to differ!
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

You read up until OMD then go straight to Renew Your Vows and hope that series has some legs.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigFeathers View Post
    You read up until OMD then go straight to Renew Your Vows and hope that series has some legs.
    I agree with you on that
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigFeathers View Post
    Much as it fails to heal the wounds of One More Day, the fact that the Renew Your Vows universe gets to be built completely around Peter and MJ is a massive advantage. Everything is in service to this book's story and its characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    "it's only still a HUGE deal to a relatively small number of people who simply can't get over it."

I beg to differ!
    Why do you keep bumping years old threads just to post one-liners about how you don't like One More Day?