Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Default X-Men Monday #116 - Al Ewing Talks and We All Listen

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/07/26/x-...ing-interview/

The best XMM interview in forever...or at least, since Si Spurrier's.

He really, really knows his stuff. And showed that vast range of knowledge in his thoughtful and insightful responses.

A high-light for me is the following:

AIPT: Going back to this week’s S.W.O.R.D. #7 — X-Fan @ororoswind said this will be the first time you extensively write Storm. Can you talk about your relationship with the character and what you were the most looking forward to exploring? What are some of the key defining traits of the character you hope to bring forward with your portrayal of the new Regent of Arakko?

Al: If I tell you that my first exposure to Storm — and a whole bunch of other Marvel Heroes — was in the U.K. reprints of Secret Wars, the original, that should date me pretty exactly. (And those British reprints barreled right into the sequel, so it’s where I got my love of Spider-Man teaching cosmic entities to defecate.) Real U.S.-sized American comics were harder to get hold of then, so by the time I got into Claremont X-Men and got what I’d consider my proper introduction to the character, she was powerless and beating up Cyclops in the Danger Room. And I don’t care what retcons said about that fight later — Storm won it hands down, no mitigating circumstances or “oh, subconsciously Cyclops blah blah blah.” I read it with my own two eyes. I was there. Storm won.

Now, obviously, those unpowered days are long gone — I’m thinking up new weather stunts for Storm daily and taking suggestions from other X-Office members on cool things she can do with her powers. (And some old classics — I do enjoy the occasional judiciously applied bolt of lightning.) I want to stress that I am writing a very powerful version of Storm, with the goddess cred she got from the Black Panther run, so fans don’t panic too hard when I say that my core sense of the character springs largely from that particular issue and time period — the strength of will she showed to not just be in the X-Men with no powers, but to lead them. I can’t really express how cool that was, and how cool it made the X-Men seem, that the actual, factual all-caps LEADER OF THE X-MEN had no mutant powers at all, but was still unquestionably the best person for the job. She’d proven it, they all knew it, end of story. It’s not just informed how I think of Storm, it’s informed how I think of all superheroes — that they’re so much more than the powers.

To reiterate for the nervous — Storm is absolutely going to be using her incredibly powerful weather manipulation abilities in various exciting and visually satisfying ways. But I plan to do the best job I can on all the other stuff, too.

...and that we're going to be getting more Arakkii!!!

Storm Doom S 07 art.jpg
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-26-2021 at 06:34 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

And this...

We’re going to be fleshing out the Arakkii. I have pretty much the entire next year planned ahead, and that’s going to involve some big shifts in things — but I can promise that we have no plans to move backward, or shuffle the Arakkii off to the sidelines. We’ve got big plans for them, and I’m personally doing a lot of planning work on that front even as we speak.

So saith my new God of the Cosmic Realms
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Deep down, we always knew George Clooney was a raccoon.

Good $#!t. Love Ewing’s interviews. Can’t wait for his take on OG Cable, and really hope we get some news about the character’s future after Cable: Reloaded soon. My fingers are crossed that he’s staying in space under Ewing’s pen. I’m guessing we’ll here more after this week, as they didn’t want to spoil the ending to Duggan’s Cable series.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I liked this interview a lot
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Default Just Another X-Men Monday (with Al Ewing)

My flag is bacon.

Give this man two X-books. A lot of other writers can take notes on how to keep their titles fresh and make the most out of this status quo.

In Ewing we trust! That quote about Storm is amazing. I'm so excited to read his take on her, it's about time she was properly restored to prominence in the X-Books.

Okay! Before the interview I was like.

But now Al got me like.

Great Interview.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Okay! Before the interview I was like.

But now Al got me like.

Great Interview.
    We eatin good.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 07-26-2021 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Shoutout to you for asking the right questions! We eatin good.
    We definitely eating good but i think the shout out goes to butteflykiss and ororoswind(though it must be another name here. i'm guessing ororo101 but could be completely wrong.). I didn't send any questions. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    We definitely eating good but i think the shout out goes to butteflykiss and ororoswind. I didn't send any questions. lol
    lolol it's early in the morning and my brain is SCRAMBLED scrambled.

lolol it's early in the morning and my brain is SCRAMBLED scrambled.
    It was the spinning and glitter, many of times i've scrambled a brain with glitter and spinning.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Give this man two X-books. A lot of other writers can take notes on how to keep their titles fresh and make the most out of this status quo.
    Agreed. I want more Ewing in the X-line.

Also, I really hope he gives Cable a Mysterium upgrade to his metal arm. Because, well, it would be rad. That’s why.

Good piece! Definitely looking forward to Storm's reign as the regent of Arakko. I also like the idea of her having closer ties to Doom. There aren't a lot of characters in the Marvel Universe who Doom genuinely respects. Storm is one of them. She's been a goddess. She's been a queen. She understands what it takes to lead and rule an entire people. In that sense, he can relate to her and she can relate to him in ways few can equal. I hope this means Doom shows up more frequently in the future X-Books.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.