Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why doesn’t Superman wear a lead suit all the time?

I’m rewatching the animated series and there’s an episode where Clark receives a lead hazmat suit that shields him from kryptonite rays. So…why don’t all iterations of Superman just make this their regular costume? It’s not like the extra weight would be an issue. I mean, sure, this particular one gets destroyed later on, but he could easily produce a closet full of them.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think once they came up with limits on Superman’s powers, or the idea that there were several heroes with all his powers but none his weaknesses, the special weaknesses seem redundant. It always makes me ask the same question. Why wouldn’t Superman prepare for his special weaknesses? Batman wears bullet proof armor so why wouldn’t Superman plan on preventing the loss of his powers?

Why doesn't Batman runaround in his many, many mech suits he has?

Why doesn’t Superman wear a lead suit all the time?

--Too hot in the Summer?
    --Too bulky for regular usage?
    --Does not show off his Super-Manly physique?
    --Doesn't always have the Time/Chance/Opportunity to get/use/change into it???
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Why doesn't Batman runaround in his many, many mech suits he has?
    Basically this. There’s no real reason why either of them don’t just armor up in mech suits, but they just don’t because it would make them too OP.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Probably the same reason Wonder Woman doesn't bring a shield everywhere she....oh, wait.

Incredible Member

Over time, he might give Lois lead poisoning.

Astonishing Member

Because using his own powers even at low levels would destroy the suit.

Superman flies across town in blink of eye- lead puddle from friction.
    Bizarro hits Superman- suit integrity broken. Green K can enter.
    Batman sees lead suit. Attacks anyway. Suit bypassed somehow.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

For me it’s a bigger question, why doesn’t Superman protect himself against his weaknesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I mean, sure, this particular one gets destroyed later on,
    STAS spoiler: they all get destroyed. It's like the show's version of a red-shirted ensign: if Superman showed up wearing it, it's going to get destroyed. For that reason alone, I'm okay with not wearing one all the time, but you could always come up with the excuse that whoever had Kryptonite also had a deus ex machina, lead-suit-destroying ray gun or something.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Same reason he hasn't invented an anti-Kryptonite serum, or a micro-filament lead-lined suit he just holds his breath inside of that he wears before going to fights, or just about any other contrived excuse a proper science hero of Clark's caliber would research if he were real.

But he's a fictional character we need to give a weakness to provide stakes, ergo his metaphorical heel is firmly exposed for arrows to strike.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Public shooting have become commonplace, why don't we all wear bullet proof vests when we leave the house?

I kind of thought that while the lead suit might be good in this instance, it could be bad in others. Supes tends to think about special gear when he's not rushing into a dangerous-than-normal situation and has time to think about it for a while before he goes in, IMO.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Public shooting have become commonplace, why don't we all wear bullet proof vests when we leave the house?
    You joke, but with how things are going in the USA this is rapidly becoming more of a when not if.

These characters are rife with small details that feed into a million whataboutisms because they're not designed to sustain that rigorous a critical eye. Why don't snipers shoot Bruce in the mouth? Because he'd die, ironically.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You joke, but with how things are going in the USA this is rapidly becoming more of a when not if.

These characters are rife with small details that feed into a million whataboutisms because they're not designed to sustain that rigorous a critical eye. Why don't snipers shoot Bruce in the mouth? Because he'd die, ironically.
    I'd think a sniper bullet would pierce through Batman's mask.