Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I'd think a sniper bullet would pierce through Batman's mask.
    Joker put a 44 magnum against it and pulled the trigger which only knocked Bruce out. At this point the only thing that gets through that cowl are insults about his parents. Aim for the exposed flesh.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You joke, but with how things are going in the USA this is rapidly becoming more of a when not if.

These characters are rife with small details that feed into a million whataboutisms because they're not designed to sustain that rigorous a critical eye. Why don't snipers shoot Bruce in the mouth? Because he'd die, ironically.
    Yes.
    My point was that we don't take all the precautions we could because there comes a point on the extreme end where it inhibits quality of life.
    But if someone wore a bullet proof vest to go grocery shopping, at this point, I'd totally understand why they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Batman sees lead suit. Attacks anyway. Suit bypassed somehow.
    At this point the only thing that gets through that cowl are insults about his parents.
    I don't have anything to contribute to the discussion, but had to mention that these two lines are comedy gold. That is all.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Someone mentioned the lead suit not being as durable as Superman so my work here is done.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Public shooting have become commonplace, why don't we all wear bullet proof vests when we leave the house?
    This comment is fire tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Retired

If you wanted to concoct a reason, you could say that the lead filters out yellow sun radiation and over time Superman's powers decrease if he wears the lead suit for an extended period.

The whole lead thing is an odd one, since the reason lead stops x-rays is because of its molecular density--yet Superman can see through denser things. He should be able to stop Green K. with other materials besides lead, if they have enough thickness and density.

If they wanted an excuse for Superman to carry a gun--that they could market as a Krypto Ray Gun and sell as a toy--they could say that he uses this gun to get rid of Green K. without getting near the stuff. Since Superman always tingles when he comes near the K-Metal, he has enough warning to blast it before it gets to him. This also gives a use for the belt (with belt loops and holster), as he needs a holster for the gun.

If you want a reason for Superman to wear red trunks--those could be generating low levels of red sun radiation in that area, so when Clark has sex with Lois his sperm have normal motility and don't do her damage.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If they wanted an excuse for Superman to carry a gun--that they could market as a Krypto Ray Gun and sell as a toy--they could say that he uses this gun to get rid of Green K. without getting near the stuff. Since Superman always tingles when he comes near the K-Metal, he has enough warning to blast it before it gets to him. This also gives a use for the belt (with belt loops and holster), as he needs a holster for the gun.

If you want a reason for Superman to wear red trunks--those could be generating low levels of red sun radiation in that area, so when Clark has sex with Lois his sperm have normal motility and don't do her damage.
    That's it, CBR has peaked, everybody can go home now.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

From Byrne’s run. Superman vol 2 #18.

Because writers are lazy and why bother getting creative and trying to work around Superman evolving as a character when you can just slap some kryptonite into a story and knock Superman on his ass in two seconds flat?
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    From Byrne’s run. Superman vol 2 #18.
    Oof! How those reprint pages misrepresent the way Petra Scotese's colours looked in the original newsprint comic book is criminal. I had to dig through my box of those issues just to remind myself what it actually looked like in the comic. I feel sorry for you guys who are only seeing these pages in the reprints.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Oof! How those reprint pages misrepresent the way Petra Scotese's colours looked in the original newsprint comic book is criminal. I had to dig through my box of those issues just to remind myself what it actually looked like in the comic. I feel sorry for you guys who are only seeing these pages in the reprints.
    At least the Mignola pencils still look great.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Retired

At least the Mignola pencils still look great.
    Technically, the inks and colours are the same as in SUPERMAN 18 (June 1988)--but that assumes that Karl Kesel and Petra Scotese didn't know what format they were inking and colouring for. Whereas, they would have known and that's why their inks and colours are heavier, because when printed in the old format the inks and colours would come out looking muted. So Scotese uses full yellow on the armour--knowing that the yellow will look muted in the printed comic. The reprint production guys take that colour and print it at full intensity on the whitest white paper.

Since the cover always had a higher grade paper stock and printing, the cover colours were muted--with the armour being a pale yellow.

It cheeses me off that--because the reprints are more widely available--those are the images that come to represent these comics. Which must leave today's readers thinking old comics artists were heavy handed--because the reprints don't adjust for the difference in printing technology and paper stock.

Off topic, but I have a bee in my bonnet.